• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Mk II extractor

Sespe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2009
Ventura, CA
My Mk II fails to extract regularly. I've followed all the suggestions both here and on rimfire central, but it still happens.

Everything refers to 'one rounded extractor'. Looking at mine, I wonder if it is supposed to be this rounded... Is this too much?

extract2.JPG

extract1.JPG

Re: Savage Mk II extractor

That's the cartridge guide on the inner side of the bolt. The extractor is on one on the other side. What is exactly occurring? Is the round failing to extract from the chamber or is the case falling into the action?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's the cartridge guide on the inner side of the bolt. The extractor is on one on the other side. What is exactly occurring? Is the round failing to extract from the chamber or is the case falling into the action? </div></div>

Failing to extract from the chamber. Different brands of ammo, clean chamber, dirty chamber, etc. Haven't narrowed it down. Ever been to Piru? You've probably seen me cursing at the rifle there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sespe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Failing to extract from the chamber. Different brands of ammo, clean chamber, dirty chamber, etc. Haven't narrowed it down. Ever been to Piru? You've probably seen me cursing at the rifle there. </div></div>

First thing, check to make sure the spring collar is applying pressure to the extractor. Then check to see if there is a burr on the edge of the chamber or if you can see, a rough chamber.

Can you extract an UNFIRED round, once it's chambered? If so, do you see any engraving marks on it? Usually the Savage chambers are generous enough to preclude that but you never know.

PS~ I've been to Piru a time or two.... If we don't know each other, we sure have covered the same ground.

Check the tension on the spring clip. Pinch it tighter and try again or call savage and get another spring. I've heard of people doubling up the spring clips to remedy this issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
First thing, check to make sure the spring collar is applying pressure to the extractor. Then check to see if there is a burr on the edge of the chamber or if you can see, a rough chamber.

Can you extract an UNFIRED round, once it's chambered? If so, do you see any engraving marks on it? Usually the Savage chambers are generous enough to preclude that but you never know.
</div></div>

Unfired rounds have never been a problem. I pinched the spring collar a bit for more tension, now to try again...

Could it be the brass casing is swelling at the neck and grabbing to the inside of your chamber?

I see this with 17hmr cases that have split necks rather frequently

I didn't see it mentioned yet but make sure the tension spring is not in backward. That was the problem with mine... as soon as I flipped it around it was fixed!

-Frank

PS:

The "cutouts" on the c-spring need to face away from the chamber. This allows the extractor to stay away from the bolt face enough to get a good grip on the cartridge rim.

I have ran into a problem similar to yours. It could be one of several things.
First- check your bolt face. I have had carbon build up under the extractor to the point the case would slide over and not be under the extractor.
Second- check the recess next to the chamber. If you get a buildup of crud there the extractor may not go far enough forward and fail to grip the case.
Third- see if the hook on your extractor is sharp. After several thousand rounds one of mine rounded slightly and would slide over the case and fail to grab it.

I have had all of these problems at one time or other of various MkII pistols. I understand the bolt is the same on 10/22 rifles and some of them have had the same problems.

Jim

Just ignore everything I just posted. I failed to read that you are asking about a Savage MkII. I have Ruger MkIIs.

I feel like a dipshit.

Jim

Pepperbelly, don't feel bad; because all the things you listed apply to this gun as well.

This thread should turn into a good source of info for people who come across it in the future.

Yes, Pepperbelly, don't feel bad. Looking close with a bright light there is crud around the chamber. I thought I was a good cleaner.

Going to try some heavy-duty cleaning and see how that helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 725franky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't see it mentioned yet but make sure the tension spring is not in backward. That was the problem with mine... as soon as I flipped it around it was fixed!

-Frank

PS:

The "cutouts" on the c-spring need to face away from the chamber. This allows the extractor to stay away from the bolt face enough to get a good grip on the cartridge rim. </div></div>

I "think" it was that way, but I will be sure to re-install it that way.

When I first had an extraction problem it drove me crazy. I checked and cleaned everything. I had the bolt out and finally just removed the extractor. The carbon causing the problem was hidden under the extractor claw. I couldn't see it unless I knew exactly where to look. I had scrubbed the bolt face with a brass brush and it didn't touch it.
I had to scratch the carbon off with a stainless steel pick. A brush wouldn't get it. I use it to clean the extractor recess next to the barrel throat too.

Jim

As an update, the thorough cleaning seemed to do the trick. The only FTEs I had at the range last weekend were from the bulk green box ammo. CCI worked fine. My son had the same problems in his Cricket.
At the end of the day, one of the green-box cartridges blew its rim off in the cricket. We both got peppered a bit in the face. His only comment was, "Now I know why you make me wear glasses."
I threw the rest of the box away.