• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Mk II TRRSR & Falcon Menace 5-25x56mm

michael_aos

Sergeant
Minuteman
I recently mounted a Falcon Menace 5-25x56mm from RW Snyder Guns on a new Savage Mk II TRR SR 22LR. EGW 20 MOA base & Badger 306-20 Medium (.885") rings.

With a 50yd zero, I only have about 6-mils (one revolution) until to scope tops-out.

That only gets me out to about 180yds.

Does this sound right for this scope / scope family? I also have a Falcon Menace 5-25x50mm mounted on another rifle I could swap-in instead, but I kind of hate to go through that exercise if it's likely going to the same situation.

I think the scope is advertised as having 20-mils total travel.

Re: Savage Mk II TRRSR & Falcon Menace 5-25x56mm

How much movement do you have the other direction? The only thing that would make sense to me is having the 20moa base on backwards.

I agree with Linkless. It sounds like the 20moa base is installed backwards. Just do a side visual and look at the direction of the angle. The slope of the base should be pointinf down towards the muzzle.

The base is installed correctly (good thought though).

With the factory (0 MOA) base I couldn't get past 100yds. It was maxed-out.

The 20MOA base is what got me the ~6 mils that I have now.
--

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linkless</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much movement do you have the other direction? </div></div>

Multiple revolutions available going the other direction.
--

May be a silly-assed suggestion, but try swapping the rings front to back... ??

Then unless you have some sort of barrel droop going on then I'd move towards the scope next.

Before replacing the scope though, try placing some sort of rubber shim (like a piece of inner tube)under the front of the barrel. This will put upward pressure on the barre, and reveal a droop issue if there is one. This is common in rifles like the 10/22 that utilize a v-block, but not so common in pinned barrels like the Savage.

Or maybe the scope is installed at a 90 degree angle to where it should be. Meaning that the elevation adjustment know is on the left side of the rifle while the windage is pointing up. It's a simple mistake, but I've done it.

I've heard of people shimming the back of the scope base. I've never encountered this before, so I've never messed with that.

I kind of assume the problem is with the scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Situation Normal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">maybe the scope is installed at a 90 degree angle to where it should be </div></div>

I've seen that before, but no that's not it.

If the scope is advertised as 20 mil total travel, at mechanical dead zero you would have 10 mil up. You got 6, so I'm assuming you have 14 down. Try shimming the base up or higher rings?

Well, I think you are down to swapping scopes to see what happens. After that it's different rings. You may want to look into the Burris signature rings with the inserts. The inserts can allow up to another 30MOA on top of your 20MOA base. Overall, it sounds like something is wrong though.

Correct, it only works with a one piece base. Placing a shim under one piece of a two piece base will cause a bind in the scope tube and possibly end up ruining it.

There is a pretty good group of Long Range .22LR shooters at my gun club.
I see alot of them using shims to get the elevation correct for long range shots.
Both under the bases and in the rings.

I was kind of looking for what's "normal".

I've got a Falcon 5-25x50mm on another rifle, so I can try swapping them. I just didn't want to go through the hassle if it's not likely to make any difference.
--

I'll have my Savage TR out on Saturday. Once I have it zeroed at 50 yards I'll let you know how much up/down movement I have available.

I have a savage Mk II BV with a falcon menace 4-14x44mm and I put a EGW 20moa base on mine as well. It gave me 10moa more up adjustment over the factory base, with a 50 yard zero but I still only have 40moa up adjustment. That'll get me out too about 250yds with just using the scope adjustment that I have available. The reticle will get me passed 800yds without using any of the scope adjustment that I have available to use. I'm using TPS super low rings and I think they are .820 tall. So, using your reticle should get you out to where you want to go.

Pablo

I have the same scope and rifle with a 25 MOA EGW base. I ran mine out to 250yards just this week. I keep a 100 yard zero on the rifle. Sounds like you either have a zero MOA base or you mounted the base backwards.

I think I was about 7.5 Mil up from my 100 yard zero to get to 250. Keep in mind I'm shooting Remington Thunderbolt at about 1200 fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">25 MOA EGW base </div></div>

Where did you get that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like you either have a zero MOA base or you mounted the base backwards. </div></div>

So not allowing for the possibility the problem is with the scope?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think I was about 7.5 Mil up from my 100 yard zero to get to 250. Keep in mind I'm shooting Remington Thunderbolt at about 1200 fps. </div></div>

I'm shooting the Winchester Dynapoint at about 1150fps.

I figure I need about 6.4 mils to get from my 50yd zero to 200yds, and I only have about 6.0 mils available before the scope tops out.

Reading yours and Tmans' comparisons makes it look like there isn't really a problem with anything. It's beginning to look like you have just found the limits of your equipment. Tman is able to get to 250 because of the 25moa base using 7.4 mils of adjustment on a 100 yard zero. You're estimating 6.4 mils as needed with your 20moa base, but max out at 6 mils. Swapping for a 25 or greater mos base would get you there.

Sounds to me like it's time for either a new base, scope, or Burris Signature rings with offset inserts. The rings being the easiest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Situation Normal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reading yours and Tmans' comparisons makes it look like there isn't really a problem with anything. It's beginning to look like you have just found the limits of your equipment. Tman is able to get to 250 because of the 25moa base using 7.4 mils of adjustment on a 100 yard zero. You're estimating 6.4 mils as needed with your 20moa base, but max out at 6 mils. Swapping for a 25 or greater mos base would get you there.

Sounds to me like it's time for either a new base, scope, or Burris Signature rings with offset inserts. The rings being the easiest. </div></div>

I'm coming to similar conclusions. I've never seen one of those EGW 25-MOA bases. Am curious where he found that.

I did stick the Falcon Menace 5-25x50mm scope on there last night, just to grins. Plan to try it this weekend.
--

Haven't seeh a 25MOA EGW rail, but the DIP rail is 25.

I pulled the 5-25x56mm & Badger medium rings. Replaced them with Seekins low rings and the Falcon 5-25x50mm.

This combo gives me 11+ mils of upward travel from a 50yd zero.
--