• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage MKII & Ammo Test

Former0302

Private
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2008
Baltimore County
I'd heard such great things about the Savage MKII online, that I bought one about a year ago. I was disappointed in the performance. I was shooting up a brick of old "plinking" ammo I had...and I knew it wouldn't be pin point accurate with it...but was still expecting a LOT more from her.

After reading posts in this forum about how different rifles (even the same brand) like different types of ammo, I bought a couple of boxes of different .22LR ammo about a month ago.

Last night I set up a target in the backyard, and finally got around to finding the ammo to match my practice rifle. The results really surprised me. I knew they'd be different, but I didn't think the difference would be as dramatic.

All shooting was done with my Savage MKII from 50 yards, from the prone using a bipod and are 5 round groups.

I started with the stuff I'd been shooting to date. Remington High Velocity Golden Bullet (40 gr). This is about a typical group with this ammo, and is a great example of why I've been disappointed.

RemingtonGolden22lr.jpg

Then I tried Wolf Match Target (40 gr). Getting a little better.

WolfMatch22lr.jpg

Then I made some scope adjustments and moved on to the next one I've been shooting a lot of...American Eagle High Velocity (40gr)...about the same as Wolf. This is actually a better than average group when compared to what I'd been getting from this ammo.

AmericanEagle22lr.jpg

No longer in firing sequence now...here's the CCI Green Tag Precision (40 gr). A little better...vertical stringing could be some breathing, or inconsistent velocity...

CCI22lr.jpg

Then we start getting into ammo that really started working for me. Here's Eley Club Xtra (40gr). Yes, that's five rounds in there. Now I'm starting to see the light!

Eley22lr.jpg

Finally, best group of the bunch...Fiocchi SM320 Super Match (40 gr). Now I'm in LOVE with my Savage (seriously, I spent quality time giving her a oil rubdown last night...hey, I'd been drinking and she had set the mood earlier...).

Fiocchi22LR.jpg

Pretty sure I've found my ammo...now I can't wait to start stretching her legs out to 100+ yds.

Here's the test all together in one pic...gives a pretty good sense of scale in terms of how the groups tighted up.

22lrAmmotestJPG.jpg

Re: Savage MKII & Ammo Test

Good shooting. It's time consuming finding that right match for the .22 but it sure is satisfying when you do. I haven't tried some of the ones you have, but I've found the Aguila Super Extra 40g to be good in my Savage Mark II.

Edit: The Super Extra I use is the sub-sonic version.

Finding the right ammo is the key to the 22 rimfire. Some guns prefer a certain brands and sometimes speed of such ammo. If you find an ammo that your gun really likes buy up as much of it as you can afford and store it in a cool dry controlled temped place.
I shoot a lot of benchrest 22 @ 50 yds and the secert of the gun is the ammo and usually the higher the price the better it shoots. You might want to try some SK ammo either the subsonic or the rifle match.
larryj

About six months before the past election, I noted that WW had rem Golden Bullet HV bulk and Federal Classic maroon box HV bulk for $10 a brick of 550rd. I set out to buy two bricks a month while things were both cheap and plentiful. About a month before the election, demand picked up and so did the price, to about $13. That was my last purchase.

During that time, I also picked up a couple of bricks of FGMM at about $35 a brick of 500, and more recently found two 500 round bricks of CCI standard velocity (blue brick/box) roundnose 40gr target at about $23 per brick. the FGMM shoots great in my accurized 10/22, and the CCI stuff looks like a great lower cost alternative. My accuracy with the other ammos you covered is roughly/comparatively about the same as you described.

The problem with the std velocity (SV) stuff was that it stovepiped fairly often in the 10/22. I did a recommended mod to the 10/22 bolt by rounding its lower rear corner to anout a 1/2" radius. This reduces the amount of force required to recock.

SV stuff works really nicely after this mod.

Unfortunately, I now get a lot of misfeeds with HV stuff.

I'm going to pour a dollup of silicone into the back end of the receiver, let it cure to make a buffer, and see how this works with both types of ammo.

...unless someone can recommend another, better approach...

Greg