• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage MKII bedding, another way

Hellbender

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
Lebanon, Missouri
My brother-in-law bought a new MKII in the laminated stock, here's some problems we fixed and another way of bedding easily done with no stock mods. I did a trigger job on this gun, also, and I will post that when I get more time.

First thing I noticed was the barrel did not fit well in the bbl channel, this is common (even on my Annie)on all rifles, but you always need to make sure it doesn't forebode other problems.

These guns have a round "recoil block" on the bottom of the bbl that fits in a round hole in the stock, note where this one was hitting in the hole, way off the center to the side............not good
DSC03365.jpg

The block needs loosened with the allen head screw and slid in the dovetail until it hits in the exact center of this hole, even if you do not want to bed the rifle, this is a free mod that will help. If you are going to bed it, wait and do this step after the bedding.

Go the the auto parts store and get some VHB (very high bond) tape, this is NOT foam tape, look at this thread for more info....
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1074471#Post1074471

Here are the pics of where I placed the tape in the stock
DSC03367.jpg

IMPORTANT: When you remove the release film from the tape, you need to lay a piece of paper over the tape before you put in the action; as you will glue the action to the stock if you don't. Trim the paper with a razor blade to fit the tape. I also oiled the action well in case a little oozes out around the paper.

I have already removed the release film and placed paper over the tape in this pic.

Note the location of the tape, it is very close to the action screws, so no bending forces are placed on the action as the screws are tightened.

NOTE: I only want the action and bbl touching the stock in 3 locations, front and center (close to the action screws, the front is actually a pad under the chamber of the bbl), and directly in the center of the recoil lug. Either build up the tape (no more than 2 layers) or relieve the stock to accomplish this goal.

When you put the action in the stock, DO NOT just start cranking down the action screws! The material will need time to fit itself to the action, so just snug them up and then, every 20 minutes or so, give them another 1/4 turn. After a few times, you will feel the material start to kind of bottom out, relax the screws about a 1/8 turn or so from that point, you want to leave a little cushion.

Mark the screws slot location at that point with a sharpie, you will not be torquing them any more, you will be putting them back to the same location, and the material will take care of the torque.

NOTE: With ANY gun or bedding, always place rearward pressure on the barreled action when tightening action screws, to make sure the action is seated against the recoil lug or shoulder.

If you remove the action from the stock for more than an hour or so, the tape will start to return to it's original, thicker state, so just SLOWLY tighten the action screws again back to your original marks.

Seems to work really well, and if you don't like it, just peel it out!

HB

Re: Savage MKII bedding, another way

This is actually very similar to how I "bed" my centerfire rifles. The only difference is I use .010 shim material and electrical tape. That may sound comical but I'd put money and pull the trigger on the fact that it will shoot as good as any gun that's bedded with bedding compound. I haven't done this to my MK II FV yet. I was just gonna buy a new stock, but maybe I should do my ghetto bedding job in the mean time.

Re: Savage MKII bedding, another way

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did it improve the rifle's shot groups at all?

Branden </div></div>

This rifle had other problems that required a trip back to Savage, so I cannot say for certain, at this time.

What this job will do, for certain, is to minimize the uneven contact areas touching the action, you are eliminating all contact EXCEPT where you want it, not haphazardly hitting in various locations all over the action, as most are.

It also, in a full wood stock, should minimize the effects of slight swelling and shrinkage that occurs with these stocks. The VHB tape will "give" and keep even pressure on the action/stock juncture.

HB