• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage MKII bolt handle??

tomme boy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2007
Iowa 52732
Has anyone changed their bolt handle to something else. I just bought this and can not stand the factory handle. Please show a pick and how or where you sent it to to have it changed.

Reactions: HenryHester
Re: Savage MKII bolt handle??

I did the $5 bolt knob mod and love it. It was fun making my own knob and came out awesome. Coated it with some rubber tool grip and it works and feels great.

Deaux Joe - how did you do the $5 bolt knob mod? Is there a link you can point us to? My apologies for my feeble search skills. Thanks!

a DIY, if so inclined...thanks for the "plug" and good to hear it worked for you.

but any decent smith can thread a regular knob on, just like a centerfire bolt handle if you feel apprehensive about doing anything yourself.

what i run on my BV
MKIICROSSHAIRSRANGE.jpg

MKIIBOLTCLOSEUP.jpg

MKIITOPVIEW.jpg

Steel putty, slab it on and let it cure a bit, shape it as desired and let it set up. Then you can dremel little smiley faces or serrations into it when it hardens.

No problem thanks for the tip. Mine didn't come out as good as yours but it's not bad at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a DIY, if so inclined...thanks for the "plug" and good to hear it worked for you.

but any decent smith can thread a regular knob on, just like a centerfire bolt handle if you feel apprehensive about doing anything yourself.

what i run on my BV
MKIICROSSHAIRSRANGE.jpg

MKIIBOLTCLOSEUP.jpg

MKIITOPVIEW.jpg
</div></div>

just to clarify myself, those pictures of the bv handle ^^^^^ are not the homemade putty knob, but one the simth put on for me.

these are the homemade one:
mkiif027.jpg

mkiif028.jpg

mkiif022.jpg

mkiif023.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
MKIIBOLTCLOSEUP.jpg
</div></div>

This looks real nice I may have to start hunting around for a new knob after a find a bi pod

I just finished mine. looks good. we'll see how it holds up. If i ever get this build done

You inquired about changing the bolt, I called savage, and they said the bolt handle and bolt were one piece.... I like to take my stuff apart, maybe this is not new to anyone but maybe it may spark some thoughts... I dissasembled the bolt and found the bolt handle will screw off... I work in a machine shop, so I measured the dia. of the threads.. It a 5/16-32 if was threaded on both ends it opens up a wide slection of bolt knobs... Like I said, im new around here, just thought I would share what I found in hopes it may help..
BTW the bolt handle our off a Mark II TR, Im sure all mark II's are the same

2011-12-11_20-53-55_851.jpg