• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage MKII Build, ?'s on parts, Technique

Janus4088

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2009
San Jose, CA
Hey Snipershide,

So I bought a Savage MKII FV-SR .22lr as a precision trainer because I am currently limited to 100 yards (closest 300 yard+ is 8 hours round trip).

After feeling the plastic stock, I sought out a Boyd's wood one and found an amazing deal on a new Tacticool stock ($70 shipped) that I jumped on. I have ordered the DIP thicker bottom metal for it. I have a bipod on its way.

But here is where I am stuck, optics. I am getting competing information from various sources I know to be knowledgeable shooters. Some say don't go higher than 14x on the top end of magnification, some say shoot for 20x on the top end. So that would be my first problem.

The second is that I am focused on getting a mil/mil scope because that is what I want to learn on and I want to start with it. I also dont want to pay 4x the gun setup on an optic, for a .22lr. If this were .308, or something that I knew 2 years from now I would still be shooting, 700-900 on an optic wouldnt bother me. But with a .22lr it seems like overboard. I am hoping for around 200 but could bump it to 300 or 350 if there is something really worthwhile.

Scopes I have looked at are the Mueller APT (rimfirecentral.com seems to love these), and the various fixed power SuperSnipers (12x, 16x, 20x).

If you were in my situation which way would you lean? Do you have any of the aforementioned scopes and what are your thoughts on them being limited to .22lr and 100 yards? Is there something else you would recommend in the sub 350 range?

Lastly, bedding the FV-SR in the boyds... Should I bother? What would you recommend using? This is my first dip into bolt action rifles so I am unsure on how to proceed, especially since most guides are for .308s and I am not sure if they apply to .22lrs...

And I am not a novice when it comes to firearms, I have built a few AKs from parts kits and done conversions, and assembled a few AR15s. I know the semi auto game, just not the precision game.

Re: Savage MKII Build, ?'s on parts, Technique

dude, I roll with the bushnell 3200 elite fixed 10X. I shoot my MKIITR out to 300 a lot, and the scope's only about 200 bucks. but be aware, its so damned easy to hit things at 100 with a MKII and a fixed 10x mil-mil that you will get bored. I only go down to 100 to confirm zero and test ammo lots. that scope and rifle combo is more meant for 200 meter play.

there's a bunch out there that are suitable for your needs, in some cases even a few that are good for a lower price than you think, like 100.00.

the two you mention are great optics, no doubt about it, and if you have the $, get the best optic you can it's not overkill. you'll find yourself shooting that .22 bolt more than your otherstuff anyway, might as well enjoy it with a clear repeatable optic.

you'll hear alot of options and opinions in the range your talking from the walmart centerpoint, to a weaver kaspa, to a SS, millet TRS, to a nikon, bushnell, etc and so and so on. so i'm not really going to throw my hat in that arena except for this:
Thoughts on picking a scope for a rimfire.
which doesn't really "name" a particular scope anyway.

i can say that i have been pretty impressed with a Nikko stirling targetmaster i picked up this summer, so far it's been good to me, and also in that price range and 100 yards, it's really tough to beat a nikon buckmaster 6-18 mildot. but they're not FFP, i don't know if you'd go SFP

on the bedding, yes it makes just as a bit of difference as with the centerfire, perhaps even more so. same procedure, there's many threads on it here on how to. you tube has several good videos on bedding also.

lots of bedding materials to choose from too, do your homework on them.

I have a nikon 4.5-14 buckmaster mildot on my MKII and I really like it. I can easily see bullet holes at 100 yards with it. The only drawbacks are that it doesn't have very much internal adjustment with the 1'' tube and can only focus down to 50 yards. The SS line will have a lot more of an adjustment range (has a 30mm tube), can focus down to 10 yards and you can get mil adjustments to match the reticle. I've never looked through an SS so I can't comment on the glass quality.

The 4.5-14 is on clearance for 297 with free shipping at midway right now. You can use the midway $35 off code on the 6-18 and save a few dollars more, but you'll get 1/8 moa adjustments.

Also, unless your boyd's stock included a trigger guard you'll need one of those too. DIP makes a nice one or you can get one from boyd's for a little less. If you're planning on shooting out to 300 you might need to get a slanted rail, EGW makes a 20 moa and DIP a 25 moa.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FAL1123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, unless your boyd's stock included a trigger guard you'll need one of those too. DIP makes a nice one or you can get one from boyd's for a little less.</div></div>

As per my post "I have ordered the DIP thicker bottom metal for it."

I will definitely take a look at the Nikon, considering the BUshnell 3200 Elite.

To be fair on the MKII the bottom metal and trigger guard are two separate parts, you can order one without the other.

Leaning back towards that APT... Rimfirecentral has some really good things to say about it, and this will be my first scope. The only optics I have owned in the past are EOTechs, Vortex RDS's and Aimpoints, so I am really out of my comfort zone getting this first one.

If I do go for the APT, what are your thoughts on these rings? Will they fit if I get the DIP 20moa base?

And this is going to sound really dumb, but does that come with 2 rings or is it per? Cause I see it says RingS, but there are other RingS on Midway and it says 'set of 2' in the header, this item it does not...

Was also shown the Primary Arms 4-14x44 Mil/Mil FFP scope on another forum. For slightly more than the APT I can get Mil adjustments vs MOA and a FFP scope... How does the glass compare between the APT and PA?

Yes, those rings will work with the DIP base. The DIP base has picatinny slots which are similar to weaver's, just a little wider. Weaver style rings will work with picatinny bases, but picatinny rings won't work with weaver bases.

If you're getting the DIP rail I would take a look at these rings. With the ar151110 code they're only 5$ more and they look a lot sturdier.

I Concur with Fal, I've got those rings, EGW 20MOA base, and the aforementioned Bushnell 3200 elite.

Those rings are as sturdy as you'd imagine, and I've still got a good amount of clearance between the barrel and the bell. whole thing's rock solid as long as you hit it with a tiny dab of threadlock.

So you guys would recommend the Mueller APT over the PA 4-14x FFP?

though the PA is "falcon menacey" it's not the same scope as the falcon menace and the PA has only a 3 year warranty. it is "tacticoolish" when bumped up against the mueller, and has some different styles of reticles, along with a side focus
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_4_14X44_FFP_Scope_p/pa4-14xffp.htm

the mueller (though not FFP) has a lifetime warranty and great customer support from the manufacturer, though not as tacticolish as the PA (falcon clone), and is priced lower. they are very clear, and usually stands up to alot of centerfire recoil, and i think it comes with a sunshade.
http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Mueller_APT_4_5_14x40AO_Sunshade_w_Mil_Dot_Reticl_p/mt451440.htm
http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/119010/...t-reticle-matte

as it's tough to find a primary arms dealer in general, i'd have a tough time thinking that the scopes will go the distance.

personally i like the look and the features of the PA, BUT if they are only backing them up with a 3 yr warranty, similiar features can be found on other scopes that have a good track record. i think i'd even pick the BSA 4-14 MRAD mil in that same price range, at least you'ld get a LT warranty, and be able to use the midway coupons for it, reducing the cost more.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/456482/...d-reticle-matte

tube, knob location looks familiar doesn't it?

I got a sweet deal on the Bushnell 3200 Elite 10x mil/mil at the end of October while Bushnell had the $75 rebate going. I am waiting for my FV-SR to come in to pick it up. I am going to use the stock EGW 0 moa rail and Burris Signiture Zee medium rings that you can add 20 moa by using the special Pos-Align offset insert kit for the Signature Zee rings. A Tacticool stock is soon to follow. Where did you find the stock for $70?

I have the same build as you. Best advice I can give you is the Weaver 3-10x40 . Its a mil/mil scope, very good glass, compact, good repeatable clicks, ect. I picked mine up from a Hide member for $250. Its $299 new at Midway.
I strongly reccomend you looking at Lowlights review of this.
You wont be disapointed!

A guy on rimfirecentral was selling 2 tacticool stocks for $70 shipped.

Thanks for that breakdown Top. I think I am going to snatch up a Mueller APT after reading that, I just need to stop looking into scopes so I dont keep finding different options. I am going to wait til black friday and see if I cant get a deal on it though.

Since this is a trainer I don't see the advantage of the Mueller scope unless I missed something? Isn't it MOA/MIL?

Maybe you want to learn with a mismatched scope so when you go MOA/MOA or MIL/MIL it will be easier?

There are many who are not particular about matching turrets and reticule on their .22's and I think they get along fine.

Others may like the FFP scopes with matching turrets and reticule since that is what they shoot with their real precision rifles.

I am one of those.

That Weaver that Spartan mentioned sounds like a fine scope for a 22 trainer. I wonder what it weighs? My Falcon Menace is a little heavy but that has actually worked in my favor as a trainer. It makes me get my form right or start shaking!

^^^ What he said.... Weaver Grand Slam Tactical from Midway. Good glass, substantial "clicks", and not breaking the bank. DIP bottom metal and 25 MOA base. I did overkill on the rings but made for nice set-up. ... JaxOps

I am running a vortex 6-24 on mine and I like it a lot.

I am also using one of the pa 4-14 FFPs on a 556 and its a nice scope for the money. I would use it on my mkii if I didn't have the vortex on it.

I have shot it out to 300 yards. 100 and 200 are crazy easy and boring with consistent ammo.

I shoot a Savage TR in the 22 comps. It came with the tacticool stock and I added pillars and bedding along with the DIP thicker bottom metal. I was having a problem with cold bore shots not hitting the same as my folow up shots and after shooting a 5- 10 round string it only took about 2 minutes and the 1st shot for the next string would be off again (cold bore). It didnt used to do that and I needed to figure our why. I took it to the range and loosened both screws to 15 ftlbs. then 20, 25, 30, 35 and at 35lbs the problem went away. Now mu cold bore shot hits the same spot as all my follow up shots. Your gun may differ but screw tension does make a difference. ESPECIALLY if you have the tacticool stock and its not bedded.

My scope is a Vortex Crossfire 6-24 mil dot reticle with MOA turrets (which makes no sence to me). Focus down to 10 yards. Unfortunately they dont make them any more. The crossfire II's dont have anything with a mil dot style reticle. I use a 20MOA EGW mount but wish I had gotten the DIP 25 MOA for just a bit more.
rl3.jpg

Good to Know, Rocca. sounds like I'm going to be looking into some of those add-ons. What are the distances at which you are competing?

So how do you guys feel about this optic setup? I have it ready to order and am itching to get this build completed, or at least everything to me and ready to piece together. I will post a build thread of the process.

Ordered that stuff. I think those rings are going to fit... hopefully
wink.gif

These are 3 videos of my set up with a 1st time shooter shutting it at 100 yards yesterday.

Vortex 6-24
Silencerco sparrow
Gem tech sub sonic

Federal bulk pack h.v.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R-vNvwp1GyE&sns=em"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R-vNvwp1GyE&sns=em" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Gem tech sub sonic rounds
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JtXkPpZ4YoA&sns=em"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JtXkPpZ4YoA&sns=em" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fwl6-uoSptc&sns=em"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fwl6-uoSptc&sns=em" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Janus408</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So how do you guys feel about this optic setup? I have it ready to order and am itching to get this build completed, or at least everything to me and ready to piece together. I will post a build thread of the process. </div></div>

Looks good to me. what scope base did you finally decide upon?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexasGunTrustLawer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These are 3 videos of my set up with a 1st time shooter shutting it at 100 yards yesterday.

Vortex 6-24
Silencerco sparrow
Gem tech sub sonic

Federal bulk pack h.v.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R-vNvwp1GyE&sns=em"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R-vNvwp1GyE&sns=em" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Gem tech sub sonic rounds
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JtXkPpZ4YoA&sns=em"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JtXkPpZ4YoA&sns=em" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fwl6-uoSptc&sns=em"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fwl6-uoSptc&sns=em" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

</div></div>

Hey, is that a MKII TR with a Can on it? if so, how much did it cost to get the barrel threaded?

On the topic of the 6-18 buckmasters, I was looking at those and VXII 6-18 target models, and found the dot to be too large. Like, three or four times as large as the dot in the VXII, with pretty thick crosswires too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anvil Xray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks good to me. what scope base did you finally decide upon? </div></div>

I am going to roll with the stock one and see how it fairs once I get it pieced together and shoot at 100yards. If I need more elevation I will get the DIP one. I will probably end up with it, I just dont want to get a 25MOA base for 100 yards (where I will be shooting this 95% of the time) if I really have no use for it.

Like Rocca and TexasGunTrustLawyer I also use a Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50 and I love this scope. I actually bought 2 of them one for my .308 and one for my TR.
I've sold my scope that was on the .308 so from time to time I've used crossfire on my .308, my SIG 556 and my TR no problems with zero changing or tracking at all and it's still held up to well over 1000rnds of 5.56 and .308.
I also wanted the Falcon Menace but for $200 shipped for both my Crossfires I couldn't turn it down.
I shoot 300yds when I'm back home with no probs and 100, 150, 200yds is just silly easy even with my CCI Blazer(which my gun loves)
So if you could find one of these I wouldn't hesitate the reason I really like the Crossfire is because it has such a zoom and it really doesn't start getting poor quality until you zoom all the way into 24x with a bright sunny day but if you turn it down to around 21 it's perfect.
I will say I have used several different scopes on this gun including a BSA Sweet 22, BSA 4X30 tactical scope, Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40 and the Crossfire is the one I like the best.
BTW I would get the DIP 25MOA base because if you do decide to shoot out to 300yds you will need it with the crossfire

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Janus408</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So how do you guys feel about this optic setup? I have it ready to order and am itching to get this build completed, or at least everything to me and ready to piece together. I will post a build thread of the process. </div></div>

I think you will end up with a pretty nice rig. I wish it were mine! But I wish everybody's rifles were mine.

I would advise you get a canted rail also. You will be able to shoot at 100 just fine and still be able to stretch it out if you want to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Janus408</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anvil Xray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks good to me. what scope base did you finally decide upon? </div></div>

I am going to roll with the stock one and see how it fairs once I get it pieced together and shoot at 100yards. If I need more elevation I will get the DIP one. I will probably end up with it, I just dont want to get a 25MOA base for 100 yards (where I will be shooting this 95% of the time) if I really have no use for it. </div></div>

Makes sense, no point in spending 40 bucks on something you don't need.....yet.
Trust me, you'll be hunting for patches of forest/fields/etc with more range before too long. I found a couple of nice spots up in the mountains, and one of em has furry moving targets!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would advise you get a canted rail also. You will be able to shoot at 100 just fine and still be able to stretch it out if you want to. </div></div>

I've shot down to 17yds with mine and have the canted base

It isn't a matter of being able to, or not being able to shoot at close distances with a 25MOA base, it is a matter of not needing it for the distances I do shoot.

My range is 40mins to an hour away, and only goes to 100 yards. The next nearest is a 2.5 hour drive (one way) and goes to 200 yards. There is no where I can shoot that isn't a range (within several hours). The nearest shootable BLM land is 4+ hours one way.

Private property around here that is flat enough to shoot with owners willing to let me shoot on their land is nonexistant. I live on the coast in California, more specifically in the mountains on the coast. They have ordinances that don't allow shooting, even if you have the property and space, in most of my area.

It is not a great place to be a gun owner.

And if I want to shoot 1,000 yards? 10+ hour round trip drive. But I go into the Police Academy in January, so this time next year I get to use their range that is only 2 hours away and has a killhouse as well as 600 yards+.

As far as the optics, I ordered that setup, should be here next week sometime.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FAL1123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a nikon 4.5-14 buckmaster mildot on my MKII and I really like it. I can easily see bullet holes at 100 yards with it. The only drawbacks are that it doesn't have very much internal adjustment with the 1'' tube and can only focus down to 50 yards. The SS line will have a lot more of an adjustment range (has a 30mm tube), can focus down to 10 yards and you can get mil adjustments to match the reticle. I've never looked through an SS so I can't comment on the glass quality.

The 4.5-14 is on clearance for 297 with free shipping at midway right now. You can use the midway $35 off code on the 6-18 and save a few dollars more, but you'll get 1/8 moa adjustments.

Also, unless your boyd's stock included a trigger guard you'll need one of those too. DIP makes a nice one or you can get one from boyd's for a little less. If you're planning on shooting out to 300 you might need to get a slanted rail, EGW makes a 20 moa and DIP a 25 moa.
</div></div>

Sound advice
wink.gif
I'm running the 4-16 Monarch scope on mine with a 20 MOA EGW rail. Not much lost when you cant adjust parallax below 50yds. Like some others said shooting short ranges can get boring with this rifle.

Here is mine. I went with the Tacticool stock as well - used Krylon paint with a clear coat to finish it. So far it is holding up well. Cant remember where I got the bottom metal or trigger guard. I went with a cheap BSA mildot scope - I had just bought a Bushnell Tactical Elite for my 3 Gun rifle and I didn't have the extra $ for a better scope. This has become one of my favorite rifles to shoot!

Savage14.JPG

Thats a graet looking rig ryan!

I hope to have mine done soon.

Question about putting this rifle into the Boyds stock...

I have no idea the amount of pressure I should use to tighten the action into it... I am going to try shooting this gun in the Boyds before I set out and pillar / glass bed it... But this is my first bolt action so I have yet to do any work like this and dont want to mess it up... That said, I have built AR15s and AKs from parts kits and done Saiga conversions, so I am not new to the gun mod game, just this type
wink.gif

I am running a vortex viper pst 6-24 with an ebr-1 mrad and .1 mil turrets and I ran out of elevation at 300 yards.

I have 2 turns which is 10mil of elevation with a 50yd zero.

The 20MOA (5.5555mil) rail is getting installed Tuesday.

I was showing 18.25 mil with the gemtech sub ammo.

Savage says 15 in/lbs on action screw torque, mine likes 13.

I think 20 moa is 5.7 mils.

TJ

Edit; its 5.8 mils.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z28kid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage says 15 in/lbs on action screw torque, mine likes 13.

I think 20 moa is 5.7 mils.

TJ

Edit; its 5.8 mils. </div></div>

Thank you sir!

I saw that picture when I was originally looking at my options! Nice looking gun you have, but the Evo stocks just aren't my thing. Wish I could have a suppressor like that though.

Did you pillar or glass bed that rifle?

Way ahead of you there, mine just arrived today. Gun was released to me today too! Now I am just waiting on my scope/rings/ammo!

Just picked it up last night, immediately dropped it into the stock with the DIP metalL

bpzf5.jpg

Scope, rings, and caps should be here tomorrow or the next day. Ammo is slated to arrive Friday. Sorry for the quality of picture, it was just a quick cell send off to a friend.

I got the bipod from the never-ending group buy here and couldn't be happier with it. The stock also seems to be great for this rifle, had no issues dropping it in. And it is such a massive improvement over the stock the FV-SR comes with, it felt like it was lower grade than some old Airsoft guns I had as a kid...

I also snagged a YHM Muzzle Brake cheap on Black Firday to replace that butt-ugly thread protector.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twisted .308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW , might as well take the trigger tool and adjust pull ..mine was way heavy from the factory and still to heavy for my preference even after adjusted as low as it will go </div></div>

You can clip a half of a coil off the spring at a time until you get it where you want it. If you take too much off just turn it in a bit.