• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

savage mkII FV thoughts?

wcjake15

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2009
kentucky, US
What do you all think about the savage MKII FV 22lr, im looking for a new affordable rimfire and Ive heard good reviews about these, but not much about accuracy. So anyone with any info, it would be appreciated.

Re: savage mkII FV thoughts?

They are accurate if you get lucky and get a good one.

I have two MK IIs which have given me first-hand experience with these "gems". The build 'quality' is hit or miss. From bad crowns, scope bases drilled off center, etc.

Also, unless you get one with the Accu-trigger, forget it. The old standard trigger SUCKS the big one. Even if you do the shim trick and get a light pull weight, it still sucks. It will have a ton of overtravel that will drive you crazy. I upgraded to SSS trigger for $80.

The plastic stock is a piece of $hit - no other way to put it. The way the action is bolted to it is a joke. Tighten it a little too much and you'll crack the stock, specially the rear screw. The magazine fits so slopily, feeding a round is an act of faith.

So, my two cents worth is this: Buy a CZ 452 American, or the Varmint if you want the heavy barrel. All they need is a simple trigger job - Heck, I will send you the shim tube free, if you get one.

If you want to spend a little more, the Sako Quad is very accurate. I replaced the trigger spring with one from a ball point pen, and voila, 1.5lb crisp trigger.

They are as accurate as the shooter. Do a search and you'll see a ton of info on here about them.

the above is possibly the most negative I have read about them.

I have a BV in the walnut stock..the wood stocks are MUCH better then the plastic and worth the extra coin. My build quality was great-maybe its the old ones that had lots of problems but for the most part the mkII is heavily favored..agreed, search it

I'm a nobody, but here's my story anyway....I did my research on a 22 trainer here. I called to order mine. I waited two weeks for the distributor to get one in, to ship to my dealer, so it's a current production.

I bought a Mark II FV. I worked my trigger a little bit, used an old weaver scope, original scope mounts that came with it, and a pair of leapers brand single bolt rings that stripped (that I repaired). I hate the stock. there is not a lot to "bed" the action to, so I haven't bedded it.
Shooting prone with a bipod I plink at 150 yards, CCI blue label 40 grain with my MARK 2 FV. I got the budweezer can to prove it. For what its worth, I love mine. @ 260 bucks out the door, I wish I bought it sooner..

I should clarify and re-word. I was meaning to say that mine will out shoot me and I'd assume that would be the case in most instances. I apologize for any misunderstanding.

wasn't responding to you echo4-insert name here seeemed to have a lot of problems that i havent read much about, tahts all. everyone has their own experience

savmarkiib.jpg

savmarkiid.jpg

Here are a few pics of some targets shot at 100 yrds with various ammo with a Mark II. The best groups are from Lapua Club.

markiil.jpg

The rifle is Devcon Steel bedded into a SSS MTR laminate stock. It has an EGW 20moa base, and Leupold Rifleman Rings. The scope is a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5x14 40mm Mil-Dot. I recently had the bolt knob replaced with a tactical style knob from Bolt Knobs by Bill (sorry no pic of that yet).

markiis.jpg

markiip.jpg

WhiteliftedZ71, and mtm87tx (snipers hide members) were shooting this rifle at 200 yards at quarter sized shoot and see dots in 5 mph winds and having no problems with making consistent hits. I'm quite impressed with the quality and accuracy of the Savage Mark II rifles.

I own the Mark II FVT and I wouldn't trade it. I have found mine to be quite accurate and haven't experienced any problems with the quality. Sure, I'd like to see it come with a better stock but I've no real complaints about the stock it comes with.

I've shot some tight groups with mine from 50 yards off the bench with the peep sights it came with, and a Harris bipod I installed.

I'd buy another in a heart beat if I needed another one at this time.

mkII all the way, stockade guns is fitting mine and refinishing it for me and will be back in 3 weeks. i have no problem making consistent hits on a 3-4 inch plate at 200-250 yards with federal 510 ammo

I bought a Savage 93 in 17HMR and it's a true gem... did I just say that about a Savage?!?! Whoa... my friends made fun of me for finally breaking down and buying a Savage. I'm a Remington guy at heart(870's and 700's)

My Savage 93 is a sweet shooter. The first 5 rounds out of the weapon went .75" @ 50yds.

After 20rds the groups settled down... I put 4 rounds in the same hole at 50yds and then go too excited a pulled the 5th... hehe

Brandon

I have a .22LR BTVS and love it.

It's as accurate as it has a right to be for the price. I didn't buy it for benchrest or smallbore comps. I bought it as a "tactical trainer" and fun plinker. For that it excells.

As far as it being more accurate than the shooter, I disagree. My 700 is quite a bit more accurate but at four times the price and the ammo is quite a bit more expensive.

The MkII does everything I need it to do.

you did say "affordable", so the mark II is probably the best bang for the buck. particularly if you plan on putting decent "affordable" optics on it, mounted on a tapered base. and as said before if it doesn't come with the accutrigger, plan on getting a replacement (rifle basix is decent for the $) it does make a good affordable platform to do more than casual plinking.

tips on "affordable" ammo:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...958#Post1031958

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...970#Post1031970

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...980#Post1031980

there's a ton more info available on this site and elsewhere, but sometimes the trial and error thing will give you your best ammo for the $