• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage MKII FV & Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 BDC

Pensfan

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2012
St. Louis, MO
A few weeks ago I picked up a Savage MKII FV just to "plink around with". This is the first rifle shooting I have done in over two decades so I am definitely starting from scratch when it comes to using a rifle and scope. Since then I have been bitten by the "how accurate can I make this thing" bug and am really enjoying the results with a stock rifle so far. While I have some plans to upgrade it right around the corner, it is shooting great so far out of the box. Next week I should have my Tac-Driver stock from rifle-stocks.com and DIP lower metal to add to the MKII and see how that improves things.

As of yesterday I have run around 500rds through the MKII and it is performing perfectly. The action is starting to smooth out and the groups are settling in nicely. overall the rifle is definitely more accurate than I am at this point though my groups are getting better the more I read on techniques and practice them at the range. I am usually shooting two sessions a week at two hours each so the practice is helping tremendously.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Rifle: </span>Savage MK II FV
<span style="font-weight: bold">Scope: </span>Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 BDC Reticle
<span style="font-weight: bold">Rings: </span>Vortex 30mm Riflescope MED Rings
<span style="font-weight: bold">Mount: </span>DIP Savage Rimfire Scope Mount (0 MOA)
<span style="font-weight: bold">Rest: </span>Cabela's Front/Rear sand bags
<span style="font-weight: bold">Ammo: </span>CCI Standard Velocity, Lead Nose

I have only shot the Federal Champion bulk (approx 300rds) and the CCISV (200rds) ammo and so far the CCISV is the more consistent of the two. Once I get the scope pinpointed, I will try out different ammo to see which is more consistent and tighter.

Yesterday's shooting session yielded the following groups and targets though. I have to say I am very pleased so far.
smile.gif

25yds, 9x Scope, 5 Shots - 1
25yds, 9x Scope, 5 Shots - 2
25yds, 9x Scope, 5 Shots - 3

50yds, 16x Scope, 5 Shots

50yds, 16x Scope, 10 Shots

Re: Savage MKII FV & Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 BDC

Nice groupings. I am not new to rifles, but i am new to the long range shooting. I never knew how bad my form was until i started this new obsession.

Current Obsession List is...

Dodge Cummins Diesels
Dirt Track Racing (Ford's)
Long Range Shooting

All of the above metioned obsessions are very costly.

I picked up a Mk II FV-SR awhile back and absolutely love it. The accuracy these are capable of is amazing for the price you pay.

I have a suppressor on the way pending approval... I can't wait.

Thank guys! I am definitely loving this rifle.

Once I get more familiar with it and the .22 ballistics, I am going to start pushing it out to 100yds and beyond. The ultimate goal would be to take her out to a range we have here with 600yd targets and see if I can get in the same ballpark with any sort of consistency haha. 200yds is likely going to be my more realistic range for normal shooting.

What kind of advice can be offered up for tactical shooting at 200-300yds?

Thanks everyone!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pensfan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank guys! I am definitely loving this rifle.

Once I get more familiar with it and the .22 ballistics, I am going to start pushing it out to 100yds and beyond. The ultimate goal would be to take her out to a range we have here with 600yd targets and see if I can get in the same ballpark with any sort of consistency haha. 200yds is likely going to be my more realistic range for normal shooting.

What kind of advice can be offered up for tactical shooting at 200-300yds?
Thanks everyone! </div></div>

Start with 50yds & 100yds then work your way out. 1-1.5 MOA groups at 100yds are a reasonable expectation with Match ammo and calm conditions. 200-300yds is a whole other arena. Variances in wind, ammo, and shooters technique are greatly magnified at those ranges. What ammo groups well at 50yds and possibly 100yds may NOT yield the best groups at 200yds so some ammo testing at the specific distance you intend to shoot.

Also, begin shooting the monthly 50yd Tac match and 100yd matches listed near the top of this forum. They can be very humbling and by extension excellent learning experiences.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunsen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Start with 50yds & 100yds then work your way out. 1-1.5 MOA groups at 100yds are a reasonable expectation with Match ammo and calm conditions. 200-300yds is a whole other arena. Variances in wind, ammo, and shooters technique are greatly magnified at those ranges. What ammo groups well at 50yds and possibly 100yds may NOT yield the best groups at 200yds so some ammo testing at the specific distance you intend to shoot.

Also, begin shooting the monthly 50yd Tac match and 100yd matches listed near the top of this forum. They can be very humbling and by extension excellent learning experiences. </div></div>

Thanks for the info. I am definitely going to start shooting the 50yd and 100yd matches here and the ones at RFC very soon. I now have the rifle (me actually haha) shooting tight groups. Now I just have to pinpoint the scope/ammo so I can hit the X on the target.

I am shooting my groups about an inch high at 50yds and a touch to the right. Once I line up the scope properly I should be able to pop a few 10 Bull targets this month and the targets for the matches here as well.

Thanks again for the info.