• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage MKII FVSR

Gunnie88

One shot at a time!
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2021
East TN
My 13 year old daughter wanted to build a .22LR. First off, she’s no stranger to shooting, in fact she’s been behind a rifle since she was 6 and has a few custom centerfires and shotguns to her name.
We set a budget of $600 for rifle, glass, rings and bipod. We set out one Saturday to a few LGS so she could shoulder and cycle the bolts. She knew she and I would be making our own stock and she kept a keen eye on the budget and found the Savage MKII to be a perfect fit.
With no time to spare we laid out a stock modeled after a CZ MTR stock and started shaping, inletting, sanding and stippling the new stock. She choose a red mahogany stain color. After 2 weeks working on it off/on it was ready for the barrel/action. She did some research on Vector Optics and chose the 6-24x tactical. Great optics BTW. Eye relief can be finicky but glass is very clear and returns to zero every time.
We’ve built a few rifles together and honestly it’s one of the coolest .22’s we have. What an incredibly accurate tac driver she has and honestly, I shoot it more that my CZ, Bergara and Marlin.

Attachments

• 240FA961-2B5D-4B78-B4AC-168EA154BB66.jpeg
    240FA961-2B5D-4B78-B4AC-168EA154BB66.jpeg
    488.5 KB · Views: 177
Beautiful stock! That’s some mad skills. My son also shoots one and it is also a tack driver. We did a Boyd’s tacticool with aluminum c channel bedded in full length with a cut out for the mag then pillared and bedded. Kmw adjustable cheek. Shoots better than the Bergara. Not nearly as pretty as that one. Fun project with the kiddo though. Always great to work on this stuff together. His loves Eley match

Reactions: Gunnie88
Wondering what ammo her gun likes,We just put together a Savage as well.

Beautiful stock! That’s some mad skills. My son also shoots one and it is also a tack driver. We did a Boyd’s tacticool with aluminum c channel bedded in full length with a cut out for the mag then pillared and bedded. Kmw adjustable cheek. Shoots better than the Bergara. Not nearly as pretty as that one. Fun project with the kiddo though. Always great to work on this stuff together. His loves Eley match
Eley, SK & Wolf are spot on with this rifle.

Here’s a few from my sons recently. Likes Eley a lot not so much Norma tac lol. Center x is also good to go although Eley is a bit tighter

Attachments

• ECB93CC7-07DA-4060-BBA4-E47BB5CCAFB9.jpeg
    ECB93CC7-07DA-4060-BBA4-E47BB5CCAFB9.jpeg
    261 KB · Views: 61
  • EA7F4CC7-999F-4173-A317-CFDAA0B1ED1A.jpeg
    EA7F4CC7-999F-4173-A317-CFDAA0B1ED1A.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 60
Beautiful stock and great job getting your youth into the sport.
My Savage B22 Precision likes Eley products best as well. I haven't tried Eley Match, but the Precision 100 shoots sub MOA 6x5s at 50 yards.
SK RM and Std+ shot 0.6" - 0.7" @ 50 yards for me.
YMMV, happy shooting.

I have a 64 FV-SR in a Boyd’s tacticool stock, with a mueller APT 4.5-14... pretty decent gun for under $500 all said and done

Attachments

• 9AE9F6AE-ECDA-4B72-9E55-3B9F6A6FAAC5.jpeg
    9AE9F6AE-ECDA-4B72-9E55-3B9F6A6FAAC5.jpeg
    330.6 KB · Views: 62
Here’s a few from my sons recently. Likes Eley a lot not so much Norma tac lol. Center x is also good to go although Eley is a bit tighter
I have a 64 FV-SR in a Boyd’s tacticool stock, with a mueller APT 4.5-14... pretty decent gun for under $500 all said and done
excellent. CenterX shoots tight groups in her rifle but we haven’t tried Norma yet. What Eley ammo have you shot through your sons. For us it’s been Eley Match, Target, Contact, Target, Force and Benchrest semi-auto. All shoot incredibly well but the Match and Benchrest are the spot on

Mostly Eley Match and target and some older eley edge. That didn’t group as well. Norma sucks kept hoping it would work as I have about a case of it that I bought a while ago. Sitting on a large supply of center x but trying to save that for when the Vudoo shows up👍 Been trying to find more match but as we all know that is difficult right now without paying a ton. Almost ground squirrel time here so we will be burning up a lot of cheaper hollow points.
We run a thunder beast can on it all the time