• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage MKII problem, opinions sought.

Jimmy2Times

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2005
Amesbury, Massachusetts
OK, so here's the deal. I was out shooting my MKII FV Saturday and having a blast. Problem was, when I rapidly cycle the bolt I kept engaging the safety lever becasue it's in a stupid place. This began to piss me off. When I got home, I took the rifle apart and saw that the entire safety assembly (with the exception of the selector lever itself) can be switched over to the left side (thus fixing my problem) and the only thing I'd really have to do is inlet the stock for the left hand safety. I called savage today to buy a left handed safety selector (My rifle is a RH model, BTW) and they will not sell it. They will only sell the complete trigger unit which I am not buying. At this point, I'm probably going to fabricate my own left handed selector, I was just wondering if any of you knew of any better options before I go through all that trouble.

Thanks, as always, for your input.

Re: Savage MKII problem, opinions sought.

I'd go for a oversized bolt handle to get your hand away from the safety before I went that route. But thats just me.

Maybe, some parts are available to gunsmiths only, or Manufactuer approved"?", So it is possible that a smith (FFL) may be able to get the part. You will have to verify this. I think it is a possibility. Maybe not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halfnutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe, some parts are available to gunsmiths only, or Manufactuer approved"?", So it is possible that a smith (FFL) may be able to get the part. You will have to verify this. I think it is a possibility. Maybe not.
</div></div>

I told them that I was a Class 2 manufacturer and That I'd fax them a copy of My FFL. They didn't give a fuck.

Probably a liability thing and it's the lawyers...not really their fault.I just looked at mine and I think the oversize bolt handle will solve this easier...plus you won't have to grind your stock.