• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage MKii problems firing

mtm87tx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2006
Texas
just took the mkII to the range and it only fired 1 or 2 out of 5 rounds using Fed 510, walmart Xpert and remington standard target ammo. the unfired rounds had marks on them but not as deep as the ones that went off. any opinions on why im having issues? gun has about 2k through it and less than a year old

Re: Savage MKii problems firing

Strip the bolt down and give it a good cleaning.

For a quick fix a shot of break cleaner down and across the firing pin followed up by some CLP should get you going.

I shoot with a guy who had the same problem . Bolt handle kept coming lose and the firing pin was not making a good strike. Sent it back to Savage and they fixed it for him.
Problem solved.

Here is what Savage told him:

Speaking of realiability...my Savage left Monday back to the Company. They said the bolt handle should not come loose and it is responsible for the headspace problem. Let's see how long it takes to come home. I wonder if they'll have a problem with all the polishing I did while I was in there

Take a look at your fired rounds. If front edge of the rim shows a small bulge directly in front of the firing pin indentation, you may be dealing with peening associated with dry firing. If it's there, that could be at least a partial explanation for misfires.

Greg

i had the same problem on mine. my smith took the bolt apart and took some metal off so that the firing pin would be flung forward a few thousands more. it hasnt failed me since

anyone else, just got back range a few weeks ago and im having the same problem

See if the "hammer" (back of the bolt) is dragging on the wood of the stock. My Daughter's dragged from the factory, and it was difficult to see until it dragged enough to rub the finish.

Maybe try a piece of paper under it to check for clearance. If it drags, either bed the action, scrape some off the stock, or shim under the back of the action.

I am having the exact same problem, sorry for resurrection of old thread but this has been driving me crazy. My bolt handle is loose where it threads into the bolt. If I turn it counter clockwise it pushes the bolt a hair forward and the reverse does the reverse. Waiting to hear back from savage but thinking I may have to go to a smith or hopefully I won't have to buy a new one.

It's definitely the bolt handle coming loose. It controls the headspace, may be able to fix it but looks like I'll have to send mine in aswell. I've had mine for 2 years. What about you OP?