• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage MKII-TR Range Report (Kind Of)

Dylan in AZ

Shooting Addict
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2010
Arizona
I brought her home last Tuesday and was more than excited to get out and shoot the new gun. I don’t have the money as of now to buy a new scope/rings/base to make it functional to shoot. Thankfully my dad lent me his 60 dollar Simmons scope and a one piece ring system off of his 10/22 to use until I could afford a scope of my own. The gun came with a two piece picatinny base and although this setup didn’t quite line up right and wasn’t the most stable, it got me through the day. After bore sighting at the house we set out to go to the range. Considering that at the range we have to abide by their time schedule we decided to instead go and setup out in the desert. We were running out of sunlight so I skipped measuring out 25, 50, and 100 yard target setups and instead just paced out a quick ~85 yard target and re-bore sighted.

About a year ago I got the urge to have a shooting tri-pod but looking at the prices of one I said “there has to be a cheaper way” and thus set out on my research. I noticed in a few pics I came across on the internet that there are some military snipers who shoot with long thick wooden dowels and simply tie them together and twist the legs outward and bingo! Easy, cheap, disposable, and effective tripod! Sweet, so I didn’t get a chance to use those that whole year. Today, I brought them along for a test run. They worked beautifully to say the least.

Okay now onto the actual range report:

After setting up my target and bore sighting I sat down (position: criss-cross shooting off of tripod), loaded up the 5-round magazine, closed the bolt on the first round, and found my NPA. Once I had confirmed that I was relaxed and had a good cheek weld and sight picture, I started concentrating on breathing. I slowly started pulling back the trigger as slowly and as most controlled as I could. And I am not proud to say that I flinched shooting a 22lr not only the first shot, but also the second. It goes to show that shooting a heavy caliber rifle (300WSM) in a sporter rifle almost exclusively for the last year has been very destructive and has caused a lot of flinch in me where I used to never flinch. All 33 shots following those two there wasn’t even the slightest amount of twitch felt by myself, or visually noticed by my dad who was watching me like a hawk (not really, he was just making sure I knew when/if I ever flinch). It took 5 shots to get it close enough to the dot that I was happy with for today so with that, I taped up a fresh target with three dots to shoot groups with.

While setting up I encountered an annoyance that I was prepared for but had never had to deal with before. Being out in the desert there are a lot of off-roaders and barrel stuffers alike. I’ve come to realize that there are very few people out here that shoot for accuracy or to find data in the desert. So as I was setting the newest target up I heard a lot of engines behind me and just assumed it was a large group of quad riders passing by. Sadly, this was not the case. They had driven into our shooting spot (1 truck and 3 quads; 6 people total) and were doing donuts and making an awful ruckus in our spot. This scared me a little as I had no idea what they were here for and we were defenseless besides the heavy 22lr and a target 22 pistol my dad brought with. Well after making themselves at home and unloading several pistols and taking no care to practice proper gun safety the truck driver asked us if they could shoot on the half of the mountain we were not using. We agreed and they started rapid firing their guns at apparently nothing and I just couldn’t help but notice that they all closed their eyes while doing this. Not to mention that while they were loading up the next barrage of bullets that they all spoke in Spanish and thanks to the years of life in Arizona (North Mexico) and three years of Spanish classes I could clearly and easily tell that they were talking crap about me using a 22lr and thinking that nobody here can speak/understand fluent Spanish. In addition to that, one of them started shooting at my target without me knowing and through three magazines of 9mm ammo, I laugh at the fact that he only hit it one time. This really made me angry though, literally adding insult to injury. But I said nothing and just finished up my groups I was working on and finally left stressed, a bit angry, and much sooner than I would have liked but oh well. There’s always next week, or maybe even tomorrow…

Okay, now on to the actual data I got. I shot five groups of five at approximately 85 yards. All I had on hand was 36 grain bulk ammo from Federal and Winchester. Neither is sub-sonic and both are low quality meant for volume plinking. Today all I had time to test was the Federal. There was absolutely no wind. The rifle functioned as well as I could have hoped for it to. The groups were all 5 shot and measured as follows:

1) 1.35 inches
2) 1.38 inches
3) 1.56 inches
4) 1.32 inches
5) 1.29 inches

I am pretty sure I pulled one of group #3’s shots way left but was not absolutely positive so I just counted all of them into the group. Group #5 really almost made me cry. The first two shots were in the same hole and the third was just outside of that ragged hole. Then I went and shot the fourth shot and it hit on the opposite side making the group twice as big. So I figured screw it, might as well finish the group. So I did and it widened the group up to 1.29 inches where at shot four it was 0.78 inches and shot three was a whopping 0.37 inches. But I guess I knew in my heart that 3 shot groups don’t mean crap.

I’m already in love with my new gun, and am looking foreword to finding its perfect load and bettering myself as a marksman. Once I find its baseline I can find out what I am capable of shooting and starting down the road to learning.

This will be an ongoing thread where I will post my results as I get them.
Thanks for reading!

Dylan

Re: Savage MKII-TR Range Report (Kind Of)

Very good start here, and glad to hear you're off and running.

You don't NEED a bipod, tripod, or anything of the such when on your belly. Shoot off a bag or backpack stuffed with clothes; it's much better than you're makeshift sticks when in the prone. Some foam sleeping pad, duct tape, cardboard and ingenuity will also build a nice platform for your forearm to rest in, and some sand or rice/beans in ziplock bag thrown in a sock with a knot on the end works well for a rear bag. $10 and you have a nice shooting rest. Ask me how I know...

That 4th group of yours, it sounds like you let the possibility of a really good group get into your head. Don't focus on the group, focus on the shot. One at a time, and after you take a shot, it's gone and there's no getting it back. Make every shot count as if it's your only shot. Precision shooting is a mental exercise more than a physical one.

Stick to the gun club or find a more secluded spot if you can. Reduces the asshole factor when money is involved.

Good going...

I didn't have anything to shoot prone on but sharp jagged rocks, thats why i decided to sit (literally on my butt) and shoot that way. Didn't feel like clearing a big area either, there wasn't quite enough time anyways. Next time i'll be more prepared (fingers crossed) and hopefully will get some better results.

I'm going to also put my wood working skills to work and make an actual rest for range use. Hopefully i can talk my mom into teaching me how to sew and i can make a good shooting bag to use at the range and in the field.

Next time will yeild better results, i know it
smile.gif

Sounds like some good shooting, especially for the first trip out.

As above, a large number of people would rather shoot from a pack than a bipod, and get better results as well.

Try all the ammo you can, you will be surprised at the differences you will see between each.

I really want to gt ahold of some Wolf Match and several other brands but i cannot seem to find any places that stock the good stuff. MidwayUSA has everything i could possibly want but paying that 25 dollar fee for hazardous material just seems like a massive waste of money. I mean spent wisely, thats alot of 22 ammo!

I think im just going to nut up and spend the extra money...

Oh, and i'd like to try shooting off a pack but really don't have much to try it with. I have my school pack, but that's less than ideal i think...

What haz mat fee? I just bought 2k rounds of wolf extra match from them and didn't incur any charge...

Don't you pay a 25 dollar haz mat shipping fee for things like ammo and powder? I'm pretty sure you do... Maybe it's an AZ charge? If not im ordering my stuff today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Viper 762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everyone has to pay the haz-mat fee. It's a federal thing. USPS, UPS and Fed Ex all require it. Even if the fee is not out in the open, it's hidden in the price somewhere. </div></div>

Only on the internet LMAO. There is no haz mat fee on loaded ammunition, there is no hidden fee. Ammunition ships ground marked ORM-D

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't you pay a 25 dollar haz mat shipping fee for things like ammo and powder? I'm pretty sure you do... Maybe it's an AZ charge? If not im ordering my stuff today. </div></div> Maybe AZ is different, but I've only seen the hazmat fee for primers.

Okay so there is a haz mat fee for primers and powder when sold individually but when they are combined to make a cartridge it's no longer hazardous material? Wow, does the long line of dumb things continue on forever? Oh well, i guess i shouldn't complain. If built ammo doesn't have the haz mat fee, then i guess im happy. I think i'll be ordering 300-400 rounds of different brands of ammo tomorrow sometime and get out to test some of it next weekend if all goes well.

What im going to be testing in my rifle is:

Wolf, Lapua, Federal, SK, RWS, Eley, and Aguila. Plus the bulk Federal and Winchester i allready have on hand
wink.gif

You might consider trying the Winchester 40gr subsonic ammo. Relatively Cheap, as compared to the super duper fancy ammo like Wolf Gold, Lapua ect...it is dirt cheap! Usually shoots quite well.

Gary

It's on my "to try" list now. Thanks for the suggestion, im totally open to any others as well
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

About a year ago I got the urge to have a shooting tri-pod but looking at the prices of one I said “there has to be a cheaper way” and thus set out on my research. I noticed in a few pics I came across on the internet that there are some military snipers who shoot with long thick wooden dowels and simply tie them together and twist the legs outward and bingo! Easy, cheap, disposable, and effective tripod! Sweet, so I didn’t get a chance to use those that whole year. Today, I brought them along for a test run. They worked beautifully to say the least.
</div></div>
I have another solution for ya, a $13.99 tripod from target with a little work done to it works like a charm. Ill bring it to the range saturday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have another solution for ya, a $13.99 tripod from target with a little work done to it works like a charm. Ill bring it to the range saturday.</div></div>

LOL sweet, in addition to that i think im going to build a shooting rest of my own to shoot off of from now on when i go to the range. I'm a fan of the bi-pod but not all the time. And the rests that Rio Salado has on their benches are just terrible...

i shoot the bulk remington crap. 550 rounds run about $20 out the door here. My 22s eat that stuff up and shoots great. not to mention super cheap and easy to find.

I do have a question for you all. I have 150 dollars to spend right now. On my list of things i want/need i have this so far:
A better quality scope (looking at a 100 dollar Vortex)
Burris Xtreme Tactical 6-screw rings (read nothing but good things about these)
An EGW 20MOA base (really don't like how the D.I.P looks)
And a bunch of ammo.

Now I could probably have the scope and the base and be left with no money. This leaves me with a crappy 1-piece ring system that comes loose every ten shots but i don't have the $ to buy good rings in exchange for the base. If i get the Rings then i can keep using the 3-9x50 Simmons scope im using and buy the base and have around 40-50 dollars left to spend on ammo. Or i can buy the scope and spend the last 40 dollars on ammo.

What would you do and why?

That's easy. Ammo.

Get a feel for the rifle, what it is you're looking for in equipment, check out other shooter's gear at the range, etc., before you start dropping bills on new gear.

I'm sure about every shooter on this forum saw something on the internet or in the store they thought was the cat's ass until they got it on the range. Check out the gear on the range and you can make a better informed decision.

Make sure you bring along a suitable defensive weapon next time. In our area we had an armed robbery at a range. Goy the guys rifle. I always carry concealed, who knows who miight be lurking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CW1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Make sure you bring along a suitable defensive weapon next time. In our area we had an armed robbery at a range. Goy the guys rifle. I always carry concealed, who knows who miight be lurking.</div></div> I won't be caught out in the desert anywhere near defenseless again if i can avoid it. I'm too young for legal concealed carry period and certainly not in a public place. But out in the desert i will allways be carying from now on.

Thanks Redmanss, i'm going to sell my deer gun and buy all of the above and start building my "dream" rifle (withing reason of budget).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Viper 762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter19802003</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i shoot the bulk remington crap. 550 rounds run about $20 out the door here. My 22s eat that stuff up and shoots great. not to mention super cheap and easy to find. </div></div>

I'm begining to understand things a little better when it comes to these boys' high dollar rifles. Putting the bulk remington .22 ammo through an Anshutz would be like putting regular unleaded in a ferrari. </div></div>

Actually..I shoot that scrap in my anshutz aswell. All jokes aside...I prolly have 10k rounds of that remington bulk scrap through my anshutz. Still shoots like the day I got it. Never had a single issue with the stuff at all.

Not bad groups for bulk ammo. Try some Wolf MT and your groups will close up.
I had mine Savage 22 accurized and now it shoots in the .1" range @ 50 yards. It used to shoot in the .4's
No ranges here and a lot of snow, so I have not been able to shoot at 100 yards.
You will find the big box ammo does not shoot too well in the Savage 22's. About the best big box ammo I've found is the Federal Auto Match, but it shoots half again as big of groups or more compared to Wolf MT.

Best 5 Shot group at 50 Yds so far.
DSCF0002.jpg

John K

That's wicked tight grouping... I have heard alot of Savage MKII owners praise the Wolf MT ammo but i really want to try everything before i just settle down with one and assume it's the best. Wolf MT is definatly on the top of my "to-try" list
wink.gif

Sadly, i won't get to shoot my baby for another week
cry.gif

But oh well, life goes on...

Here's a recent 5 shot 100 yard target.

Bone stock Mark II TR, Bushnell Elite 10x40 Mildot Scope.

Great rifle, absolutely enjoy shooting it.

RWS Match 22LR 40 Grain. First time I used this ammo, my rifle likes CCI Green Tag, and Wolf Better.

100_5SHOT2.jpg

MKII_TR2.jpg

You guys are really torturing me right now, I want to shoot my gun more and more with every new target I see posted
frown.gif

Good shooting, i'm hoping with a bit more practice my groups will be close to awsome.

I think you will enjoy this rifle a lot.

This is my first rim fire precision rifle. I shot on the ROTC rifle team in college, and we used Anschutz rifles, but they were not personally owned.

The MARK II TR is very fun to shoot, and relatively cheap to feed. It's also sub MOA accurate right out of the box with good ammo.

Th AccuTrigger is not bad for a stock trigger. I am not a fan of the trigger safety, and there is a little creep in my trigger. I wish it broke a bit better, but not bad for a stock trigger. I'm going to shoot it more, and see how it groups out to 200yards.

I've got some goodies coming in early-mid next week and will hopefully have time for shooting this weekend and next. Tons of product reports and ammo testing to come soon! It's almost time to see what this baby can really do!

-Dylan

I fondled one of these in the shop the other day and it was really nice. Does anyone make a nice aftermarket trigger for them? I don't think I could ever get used to the AccuTrigger, but ya never know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToddM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I fondled one of these in the shop the other day and it was really nice. Does anyone make a nice aftermarket trigger for them? I don't think I could ever get used to the AccuTrigger, but ya never know. </div></div>

Rifle Basix makes an aftermarket trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JesterSix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rifle Basix makes an aftermarket trigger.</div></div>
JesterSix beat me to it. I was really skepticle about the accu-trigger origionally but i've come to love it

Yeah I'd want to give it the old college try before replacing it, but it's nice to know there's another option available.

I had Savagegunsmithing do an accurizing job on my MKII, it went from shooting .4"@ 50 to a best of .1",5 shots @ 50.
The trigger breaks like glass at 10 oz, does not even feel like an accutrigger anymore. The rifle shoots like it has eyes, they really did a great job on it. The guy is about 2 months out because he has so many that he's accurizing, but it's worth the wait, really made a huge difference in the way mine shoots. He has the 1/8" bottom metal also, it's well worth getting, mine liked more than the stock 15 inch pounds of torque and the thin stock bottom metal was just bending and hurting the stock. For twice the price of a better trigger, you can get it accurized and have a trigger as nice or better than the aftermarket trigger.

John K

I'll have it done to mine sometime in the future as well to see just how big of a difference it actually makes.

Hoping to get out and go shooting my gun tomorrow morning. I got my new glass and mounts in and on the rifle and i'm very impressed and satisfied and super excited to shoot her. Fingers crossed to get out this weekend...

TerrorintheShadows, I see that you are in Mesa. Have you checked out Bruno Shooter Supply yet? [url="http://www.brunoshooters.com"]www.brunoshooters.com[/url]

They are in Phoenix of the I-17 a couple of miles. Kind of on your way to Ben Avery. I order from them all the time. Great prices. If you order from them in AZ though you will get stuck with shipping <span style="text-decoration: underline">and tax</span>, unless you stop in their store. It is a pretty awesome store with an absolute plethora of match .22 ammo.

They also have all sorts of McMillan stocks(another north Phoenix company) laying around. It's a candy store. They don't carry any "bulk" ammo though... just different types of match/target ammo. If you are ever up that way it is well worth stopping in there.

That is so nice to know; thank you so very much Trental! I will stop by and check them out sometime.

I got out to the range today and boy I love my gun
laugh.gif

I didn't have time to post a target when we got there so I sighted it in for the 200 yard bells and after five sighter's I was on target and nailing them each shot. This was with supersonic Winchester bulk ammo that I have because I wanted to save the expensive stuff for ammo testing.

When we got the target out on the 25 yard line I slowly got it sighted in and the parallax adjustments on the super sniper scope are fantastic. It's by far the best scope I’ve ever had and couldn't be happier with the investment I made. But after initial sight in process I shot the first 5-shot group of the day. It measures in at 0.455" and was the best group of the day. To some of you I’m sure you're thinking well big wup.

I tell you this was my best group of the day because it was one of only five 5-shot groups that we're actually worth recording in my log-book. Each and every other group got progressively worse and I blamed it on the wind picking up slightly even though all my logic says hell no it's got nothing to do with the wind. And it didn't. Some of you are probably thinking it was simply shooter's error and although I had my doubts this was not the case either. But instead of halting my shooting to check equipment, I grew more frustrated and just kept on shooting. Well once I had gotten home I for whatever reason decided to shake my rifle a bit. Upon doing this I heard a rattle...

This rattle was my scope rings being overly loose. Now while looking back at all the groups after those first five I realized that there was a ton of horizontal dispersion and that there was very very little vertical in any of the groups. This was why I blamed the wind and knew it couldn't be my fault but I never put two and two together. Now I know to check my equipment whenever funky things start to happen. And even though I didn't obtain the data I was hoping for and wasted 105 rounds of ammo (thank god it's just a 22LR) I did learn this valuable lesson and won't soon forget.

Now I did decide to try two other brands of ammo once the accuracy started dropping off. I pulled out the Wolf Match Extra first, and then the Aguila Gold Eagle second. I neglected to clean my bore before switching ammo either. Next trip I will get some Solid numbers for sure. These two ammo's performed wonderfully even with loose rings. The least amount of vertical I measured was at 0.125" from one of the very last groups shot today. This gives me great hopes for future testing.

All in all, I couldn't be any happier with my setup. Oh, and all groups I shoot are off of a bench and bi-pod. I'd love to get prone but that won't happen at this range I don't think. And bi-pod is my preferred method of rest anyways. I will get up some more quantitative results and data upon the next range trip I make.

Thanks for reading,
-Dylan

Dylan,

That is generally the #1 cause of terrible/erratic groups on a new gun. The rattling actually made it easy on you. Scopes don't need to be noticeably loose.

One of the best tools you can add to your tool kit is an adjustable torque driver. It will change everything for you when working on your firearms. An affordable one is the Utica TS-30 or the TS-35. Either of those models are found on eBay for a fair price from time to time. I got mine (TS-35) for $19 shipped which was a steal.

I can't imagine if i'd never have shaken the gun for whatever reason i randomly decided to shake it for. I'm so glad I learned that lesson now though, 100+ wasted bullets in a 22 isn't too big of a deal compared to the same ammount out of a centerfire...

I have a torque driver right now but it wasn't the top of the rings that was coming loose it was the thumb screw parts that attach to the base. A few drops of lock-tite and a good torque down should do the job for a while
laugh.gif

I'm hoping to get a real report up this weekend, i forsee more time to shoot and do testing but as allways, things change. But fingers crossed yet again...

Okay guys, I got some really good time to shoot today and here are the results...

Wolf Match Extra: 50 Yards Bi-Pod/Sand Bags + Hand/Sweater Rear Rest
- Average = 1.061"
- Largest Group = 1.430"
- Smallest Group = 0.380"

Aguila Gold Eagle: 50 Yards Bi-Pod/Sand Bags + Hand/Sweater Rear Rest
- Average = 1.120"
- Largest Group = 1.990"
- Smallest Group = 0.470"

Overall I got better results from the Wolf Match Extra ammo than I did from the Aguila Gold Eagle. As of today I officially have 302 rounds through my barrel and I have three types of ammo tested so far. Next time I'm going to get some more groups from the stuff I have left in these boxes but at 100 yards this time. Then I will move on to the next two types. I will start off at 50 yards and then move on to the 100 yard line and after that I will know what my rifle like best out of what I have tried so far.

I will order some more of whichever ammo proves best once my current supply is all shot out. I estimate 2-3 more range trips. In a month and one week I will be recieving 100 Wolf Match Target and 100 SK Rifle Match ammo. And I ordered 100 Federal Premium Gold Medal Target, but that won't show up till the end of November this year.

At the time of ordering the next batch of whatever works best I'll probably order some different stuff to try as well.

Thanks for reading,
-Dylan

I'm going through the same process but haven't picked up any "good" ammo to try. So far my TRSR shoots subsonic Rem and CCI sub MOA at 50 but all the other junk I had laying around grouped from 1.75 up to 2.5. They were Federal Bulk, Federal Lightning, Remington Bulk, and Remington Target.

The subs are a blast through the can but they're inconsistent. One out of every ~20 would feel weird and would hit inches low of the the group. I could even see one yesterday in flight through the optic. It was like shooting a BB gun. I'm afraid of getting a baffle or end cap strike with an under powered already low powered subsonic.

I'm going to try some Wolf, Aguila, Eloy, and CCI Mini Mags and see if I can find something that will group well and travel out to 200.

Today was not fun at all. I'm going to try and keep this short and simple but as i'm sure you've all realized by now that I love to type and sometimes lose controll.

Today I decided was specifically going to be dedicated to shooting the Eley "Yellow Box" at 25, 50 and 100. I was also intending to do the 100 TQ4 and post my results as my first entry in a SH Rimfire Comp but here is the days results...

All groups unless otherwise noted are and always will be 5-shot groups. Any exceptions will be noted. All shots were fired off of a Harris Bi-Pod, benchrest position, w/o a rear rest.

Conditions: JACKETLESS (simple t-shirt=COLD! <--Dumb move on my part.)
Wind-4MPH NE
Humidity-44%
Temp-57*F

@25 Yards: Sighter Group & Group #1 Both had 1st Round Misfires... Didn't happen again today.

-Sighter Group [clean+cold bore(4-Shot group)] = 0.540"
-Group #1 (4-Shot group) = 0.390"
-Group #2 = 0.255"
-Group #3 = 0.220"
-Average (w/Sighter Group) = 0.351"
-Average (w/o Sighter Group) = 0.288"

@50 Yards:

-Sighter Group (cold bore) = 0.340" (before 5th round flier);0.760" (including 5th round flier)
-Group #1 = 0.255" (before 5th round flier); 0.720" (including 5th round flier)
-Group #2 = 0.200" (before 5th round flier); 0.640" (including 5th round flier)
-Group #3 = 1.070" (I don't know what happened, this one just sucked...)
-Average = (Excluding Fliers): 0.466; (Including Fliers): 0.798"

@100 Yards:

-Sighter Group(5 Sighters; 1 5-Shot Group) = 1.630"
-Group #1 = 1.970"
-Group #2 = 1.155"
-Group #3 = 2.460"
-Average = 1.804"

**TQ-4 Results: (only 15/25 shots fired...)
- "X Ring" Hits = 1
- "10 Ring" Hits = 4
- "9 Ring" Hits = 9
- "8 Ring" Hits = 1

I decided to save my last ten shots for another day, this target wasn't going too well so far and I know alot of that was mostly due to me shaking like crazy. Next time I'll bring a jacket for sure.

What i can't seem to explain is why the Eley ammo wouldn't fire in the first round of two consecutive groups at 25 Yards. And also why I was getting so many 5th round fliers at 50 Yards.

Overall, I feel like the Eley has alot of potential that didn't get used today. Another box or two will be on my to buy list for more extended testing.

-Dylan

I did a bit of sorting with bulk supersonic ammo from Winchester and Federal. Initially I figured just weighing them would be enough but I wondered how much of a difference specifically measuring OAL's and separating them into groups based off of this data and how those groups would compare to simple weight sorting and randomly picked rounds straight from the box and I want to see how the group sizes reflect the effort I put into this. If it's noticable then I guess I'm scoring bigtime as I have plenty of off time for this type of thing.

I'll post up results when I get down to the range this weekend.

I'm also going to finish up my 100 yard Eley "Yellow Box" (Target) testing and that will get accomplished first and foremost. Instead of posting the results of my efforts here I will probably be making a new thread, compiling all my obtained data in one shot and we will go from there.

So basically I have: 40 Eley to group with at 100 yards, 60 Winchester Bulk at 50 yards, 40 Federal Bulk at 50 yards, 100 Remington Target at 25 50 & 100 yard lines, 40 Aguila at 100 yards, 50 Wolf ME at 100 yards, and because my shipment of 4 other types got cancelled unexpectedly I will be buying a few bricks of Wolf Match Target to thuroughly test at many varying ranges below and beyond 100 yards.

I'm estimating that by the end of March I'll have at least 800 rounds through the barrel if not closer to 1000. Currently at the 382 mark

So I'll probably have my compilation up by monday and I will reserve a spot or two for things I haven't gotten time to try yet.

Again, thanks for reading. Speak to you all again soon.

-Dylan