• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage MKII Varmint or CZ 453 Varmint????

LongArm

Problem Solver
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2007
Corpus Christi, Texas
OK so I am looking at getting a new .22lr varmint trainer style rifle. I like the looks of the CZ 453 Varmint's action and the fact that the barred is threaded into the action. The action look beefier to me than the Savage. The Savages are easier to get cheap.

Any suggestions?

Re: Savage MKII Varmint or CZ 453 Varmint????

i love my mkii, cz makes a nice 22 though.

MKii has some decent aftermarket support and with the new TR line just adding a 20moa base and scope gives you a good cheap trainer

I wish they would put out a Varmint with a shorter barrel like 16". I know savage has one. I wonder how it shoots?

I have an older (pre accu trigger) Savage MKII BV and it is very accurate however, I have never been able to get the feed / extaction / ejection issues worked out. Not to turn you away from Savage because I have a couple of their center-fires and love them.

I've been kind of wondering about the new trainers myself...

If it weren't for the feed / extraction / ejection issues my Savage would be an awesome .22lr.

You will not regret getting the CZ. They shoot great and the fit and finish is (IMHO) better then the Savage.

I've had a couple of savage 22lr (fvt and btvs) and haven't had problems with feeding, extraction, or ejection. But mine are the newer e-receiver, which was supposed to cure the problems. I have 8 different mags, mostly 10rnd, and havent had any problems with them either. Maybe I have just been lucky. I had a problem with my btvs 17hmr not feeding the 20gr stuff, but no 22lr issues.
I like both the savage and the cz, will probably be a personal choice issue, so handle both if possible. If you decide to get the savage, swap the trigger for a rifle basix, it is a huge difference and will shrink your groups.

love my savages, but the CZ's seem to handle different ammos more consistantly (even the cheap stuff), has more of a centerfire feel and look to it, and holds their value better.

Check out the thread by Tom Manners about the stock they are going to make for the CZ. That would be a nice option should you ever want to upgrade the stock to something very similar to a bolt gun.

I have both the Savage & the CZ. (Just got the CZ) After shooting the CZ the Savage is just SO SO. I'll leave it to the grand kids.

congrats.....you will be happy.
here are the cheap mods that really made a difference for my 453:
1) New Striker spring -
https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/product_info.php?cPath=10&products_id=3
2) New Action Screws -
https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/product_info.php?cPath=10&products_id=108
3) Rubber pressure pads under the barrel near the lug -
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320811
4) Completely adjust the 453 trigger with this trigger guide -
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316391
5) Adjust your action screws to see where your gun wants to be. I started at 16 inch lbs. and moved up from there. I ended up back at 18 inch lbs. and my rifle is shooting great. Remember to fully loosen the action screws each time before changing the settings.

this is really all that it took to make my CZ 453 shoot great. enjoy it!

Good choice. I have a Brno model 4 which is quite similar to the CZ and while it is old it still shoots pretty fine. The other day I was able to put 15 rounds into a 44 gallon drum at 430 metres. From a .22!!!

Good choice, I am in a similar situation and after handling and shooting both they just are not in the same league. CZ hands down. Now I just need to save a few more pennies...