• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage MkII won't extract Wolf Ammo. Suggestions?

SemperFiDawg

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2008
Dublin, Georgia
Took my son out today to fire his new Savage MkII after mounting it in the SSS stock. Every type of ammo we tried ejected flawlessly except for the Wolf Match Target and Wolf Match Extra . Each and every Wolf round had to be manually extracted with a pocket knife. The shame is that if it was any other ammo we would not have cared, but the Match Target was scary accurate. We were shooting 100 yds with a bipod on a wobbly wooden bench and our best group was 5 shots that measured 0.8 inches. Any ideas?

Re: Savage MkII won't extract Wolf Ammo. Suggestions?

Mike the rim diameter and rim thickness. Probably not SAAMI spec.
Assume this is not steel case crap? You buy Russian, you get Russian.

Re: Savage MkII won't extract Wolf Ammo. Suggestions?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Any ideas? </div></div>

I'm all ears as my daughters MKII will fail to extract every so often. No particularly obvious cause as it happens with different brands of 22 LR. I think I'll look at the extractor for answers.

Just hasn't been an urgent priority as she prefers to shoot the 10-22, my Savage bolt .223 and AR-15!

Re: Savage MkII won't extract Wolf Ammo. Suggesti

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike the rim diameter and rim thickness. Probably not SAAMI spec.
Assume this is not steel case crap? You buy Russian, you get Russian. </div></div>

You'd be correct in stating this is not "crap." Wolf Match .22 LR is manufactured by SK Jagd. VERY fine shooting ammunition. NOT to be confused with some of their centerfire lines. It is indeed often the best shooting ammo from the Savage Mark II, without a tuner.

Clean the chamber completely, pull your extractor, and check how sharp it is. You may just not be getting enough purchase on the rim. But you said it extracts everything else fine? Odd..given how much lub is slathered all ofver the Wolf ammo. It's what I use in my Mark II BV.

-Nate

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You buy Russian, you get Russian. </div></div>

Definitely the first time I've heard WMT referred to that way
laugh.gif

Wolf is SK Jagd, manufactured in Germany. It's outstanding ammo. More than likely it's an extractor malfunction.

Check the chamber, if the gun has been dry fired there may be a burr where the firing pin strikes the breech that my cause the extraction problems. A buddy had a mk2 that developed poor extraction and that was the cause.

First of all were you trying to extract live ammo or had it been fired. If it was live ammo I would say the lands and grooves of the chamber were holding it in the chamber thus a very tight chamber.
If it is fired ammo I would check the extractor for a weak spring or check the chamber for being very dirty. If the chamber is dirty take a short cleaning rod and a nylon brush (new) and scrub the chamber from the bolt end of the gun. Then run a couple of wet patches down the bore followed buy a couple of dry patches.
If this doesn't work carry it to a gunsmith or if it is new contact the factory.
larryj

I am with Polytech. I was doing a trigger job and dry firing a lot and then my MK II started not ejecting spent brass. Checked and cleaned the face of the breech and it not ejects fine. It only takes a couple of thousands of material to restrict the depth at which the brass rim sits.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer not to support dictators. </div></div>

Yet you buy Chinese optics...........

chamber ironing tool

the chamber on the rifle my dealer had to send back had no visual damage to the chamber, couldn't see the deformation with our eyes fwiw.

PT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer not to support dictators. </div></div>

I'm quite certain that Angela Merkel was elected in a fairly transparent German election...

clean the chamber very well, then lube the chamber with light oil before firing.

Make sure your bolt face cutout for the head of the case is clean - use a dental pick if necessary.

Make sure the area underneath the extractors is is clean so that they get maximum engagement on the rim.

I had the same problem with same ammo. Apparently this is a somewhat common problem with the MKII.

All the suggestions posted earlier are deff. worth a look; how sharp the extractor blade is, make sure the chamber is clean, also the inlets for the extractor pin sometime get gummed up.

What I found to be my problem as suggested by a member on another forum was weak tension on the clip spring on the front of the bolt that holds the firing pin/extractor/ejector in place.

Just pop it off and pinch it a little tighter increasing the tension. Some have even gone as far as contacting savage for another clip spring and doubling up.

Since pinching my spring a little tighter Ive had zero extraction issues and that was about 1500rnds ago. Hope this helps

Found the problem, but not the solution. I tried most all of the above suggestions, and nothing worked. I finally got a clue when I tried to place a fired wolf empty case that had failed to eject back into the chamber after having to pry it out. It was a very tight fit in fact it wouldn't go back in without brute force.(Side note. Unfired wolf ammo will easily slide into the chamber.) Did the same with a fired remington case and it slid right in. It appears to me that the wolf brass is softer and therefore expanding more than the others thus sealing it very tightly against the chamber wall, so tight in fact that it won't extract. The wolf brass is so soft in fact that I can pinch the end of the empty cases closed with my fingertips, however if I try this with any other brand it's near impossible. Remington, Winchester, etc all use harder brass and that's why they aren't having problems ejecting from my Mk II, whereas the softer wolf is. I honestly have no solution to this, other than hopefully find some other ammo that will shoot as well as the wolf but has harder brass. Any other suggestions?

I noticed the same thing with the wolf, when it doesnt extract it is a PITA to get outta there (more so then any other ammo that FTE's).

The day after I posted my suggestion about pinching the spring my first shot was a FTE, and literally everyshot after that. I took it to the barn and popped the clip off again and pinched it tighter, reassembled and was good to go again.

When re-assembling I found the best way to do it without losing the tension you just added was;
(1) to put the firing pin in first
(2) then put the clip spring back on
(3) then slide the extractor and ejection plates in from the front and under the clip.

I wasnt ready to give up my wolf so I was sure to make it work again
smile.gif

Good luck

had the same trouble over the winter time shooting Lapua,SK match and wolf match target. All have the same headstamp. Only had the problem with this ammo, however this ammo was also by far the most accurate. Would shoot .5's in the winter off a bipod and sandsack.
I got a new brick of wolf and sk and both extract fine now, however accuracy isn;t nearly as good as it was. Im up to .8's and 9's.....
frown.gif
idk just what I noticed.