• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Model 10 FPSR .308 best grain for 10" twist

okangshooter

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2011
Been shooting M852 and 165 gr gamekings. I'm wondering if a 150 grain bullet would group better out of my gun?

Re: Savage Model 10 FPSR .308 best grain for 10" twist

That is a coin toss question. Every barrel is like a fingerprint. Each one is unique, and each one will have it's likes and dislikes. Get some 150s and try them out.

Just from the various assortment choices of bullets go, is why I ended up shooting a .243WIN. Lots of choices, for lots of purposes. I would honestly think that the 168s would serve you better than the 150s. At least they did in mine...

DK

Try 168 and 175 Sierra Match Kings, and maybe some hornady 168 amax. Behind some varget or 4064 one of those bullets will shoot.

A 1:10 308 will do any bullet the 308 case can handle, from 110gr to 208gr. Try different bullets, look closely at 155 scenar, 175smk and 178 hornady hpbt.

The M118 is a 175 SMK isnt it? It shoots them fine sometimes but never consistantly. Thanks guys.

My 10FP shoots a touch better with 168 Hornady BTHPs, than with SMKs, but both are great. My buddy's gun, which is identical, shoots the Sierras better. I have not had good luck with 175s from Sierra or Nosler, but just discovered that this rifle LOVES the 178 A-Max over Varget and this will be my new pet load. The point, as DK perfectly hit, is that no two (even though they're the same rifle) will shoot alike and you should try a few different options to see what works best.

CIMG2861.jpg

Tried several different loads today. It was COLD! So much so the mirage was terrible as it was sunny I guess.

I tried two different 150 grain loads. American eagle in 150 gr bat tail FMJ was the best being inside an inch and overlapping. One was Fed 150 gr pointed soft point. Not bad, only shot three but all were inside an inch.

I tried the Nosler 165gr Accrabond, about an inch lower POI than the rest of the loads but also around an inch.

Hornady 168 gr BTHP was similar and had same POI as the Fed and Am eagle. The Hornady TAP FPD was a little better group but different POI. That group is not on this target.

The WORST was Remington 150 gr core lokt! It is the top right group.

Going hog hunting next weekend, bringing my foxpro coyote caller too. Maybe I'll have some performance pics to add after I get back.