• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Model 10 in .300 WSM

08Cayenne

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2011
East Central Ohio
Might be getting one in a multi-trade deal, the other being a S&W 629-4 Backpacker which is what I'm really after. I've been shooting long range for the last couple of years with a handful of semis. Been wanting to buy a bolt gun for long range just to try it and the price on this one is right. It has the accutrigger and a 22" heavy barrel in a walnut stock. Is there potential in this rifle to use out to 1000 yards? No real paper target competition with it, just shooting plates, some very small. Wouldn't mind putting some money into it if it has potential. I have an NXS without a home that would fit nicely on it.

Is it a sporter or target contour? Either one will be dead accurate, but the heavy barrel will be more comfy to shoot. 1k yards wont be a problem for the bullets, barrel is a bit short but at 22" I suspect its a sporter and you will be changing it out to a heavy 26" barrel. The 300wsm is a nice bullet. I am doing a barrel change out this weekend, from a sport contour to a 26 inch match Rock M24 contour threaded barrel with a badger FTE brake.

Savage Shooter forum has a wealth of info on the barrel swap process. I have done two so far so feel free to hit me up for info if needed.

Make sure you get the accutrigger adjustment tool with the gun, I love the accutrigger.

Last edited:
I cut my model 10 from 24" to 18" and that was a .308. It got to 1000 just fine. You should have not trouble hitting 1000 with that rifle.