• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Model 10 owners

MBass300

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2010
Prospect,Ct
I was talking to a friend yesterday who is just getting into long range shooting, and bought his first .308 bolt rifle: A Savage 10FP. He was in a large fairly well known shop in our area, and was shopping for a scope. The salesman asked what he was planning on doing with the rifle. My friend told him that he would like to be able to shoot "silver dollar sized groups at 100yds, and someday maybe 200yds". I personally think this was a reasonable expectation and a fairly attainable goal.
This prick behind the counter tells him," It doesn't matter what scope you put on it, because <span style="font-style: italic">you </span> will never be able to shoot like <span style="font-style: italic">that </span> with <span style="font-style: italic">this </span>rifle!"
Needless to say, he walked out of the store and bought a Nikon elsewhere.
Now he is a) personally insulted, and b) wondering if he made the wrong choice. I reassured him that he had a great rifle and that with practice, he could meet, and probably exceed his current goal, but I would like to be able to show him some comments based on personal experience from Savage 10 owners that actually know how to shoot.
Any input is apreciated.

Re: Savage Model 10 owners

look at the target from the last tac-ops that was posted here. it was built on a savage long action. one small hole. your buddy wont be sorry if he does his part

savages are excellent, the only thing lmiting him in shooting those groups would be his personal skill rather than his savage. i ordered an FlCP-K because of thier reputable accuracy out of the box.

your mate made a good decion.

The gun will most likely... always... out shoot him.

The 110's are VERY well built... and are VERY capable of great accuracy at long range.

In the end... its comes down to the person behind the trigger... and a MAJOR point that IF you CANT see it (Scope) then it does NOT matter how good of a rifle or shooter you are.

Matt.

Iown a savage 10fp in 308 and I know it will do very well for him if he does his part. He should be able to shoot smaller groups than his goal if he does his part.

His initial expectations of the rifle are very reasonable. That rifle will probably exceed your friends expectations with a little practice and some good ammo.

from my experience the rifle should be able to keep them in a nickel at 100 and a quarter at 200 if shooter is capable. some are even better but i would expect that minimally.

Mine consistantly shoots .6moa out to 300yrds, if I had more range, I'd like to take it out farther.

I don't have a 10 but a 12 and with hand loads that rifle shoots between .5-.6 MOA. The rifle is bedded in a McMillan A5.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">from my experience the rifle should be able to keep them in a nickel at 100 and a quarter at 200 if shooter is capable. some are even better but i would expect that minimally. </div></div>

+1
I have a FCP-k and it is a shooter, I have rang steel out to 1165yds with first round hits out to a 1000yds on 12inch plates
He will be fine

Thanks everyone. I Had a feeling that was the case, but it's good to hear it from people who actually know what they're talking about.
It pisses me off when assholes that have no idea what they're talking about convince others that they do.
I told my buddy he should get some good ammo, practice as much as possible, and as soon as he starts shooting sub moa groups, he should walk back into the store with his best target and show the salesman what he and the rifle are <span style="font-style: italic"> really </span> capable of!

I just bought my 10 Precision Carbine about 2 months ago and topped it with a Bushnell 3200 Elite. Since sighting in my scope, I now can shoot 5 shot groups(with factory ammo),at one hundred yards, that can be covered with a nickel. This far exceeded my expectations and I couldnt be happier.

Tell your friend that a 10 FP in 308 was my first rifle when I was learning long range shooting. It was recommended by a very experience long range shooter to get me started..... and after several custom builds I an not sorry for the purchase. I may be stretching it but it shoot as good as some of my custom rifles. Dime at 100...and to the charts on longer ranges.

That salesman is talking out of his ass, I have made 5 round groups at 100 yards with a bone stock 10 FCP-K that you could cover with a nickel.

My savage model 10 fcp-k, basically stock. Here's a 5 shot group it shot - more like a dime than a silver dollar
best308group.jpg

Basically, the Guy behind the counter just doesn't know how to shoot...

I know I don't post here much, just read it for the good information but you can tell your friend that my boy -8years old- got a hit on a 700yrd target -10"x22"- on his third attempt and a hit at 1000yrds - 10"x22"- on his 5th attempt with a Savage 10.
Yes, I dialed it in for him but he did do his part when I gave him the OK, I had witnesses so this was not just a story about how my son did it.
Savage Model 10, 21.75" barrel, AAC 7.62SD, NightForce 5.5-22x 50 MLR/Mil ZeroStop, M118LR.
Andrew308.jpg

NoHair

I have a stevens 200 (budget savage not even close to the level of a 10FP). See my 5rd group at 100 in my sig and tell me he can't shoot a silver dollar. I could grap some WWB off the shelf and shoot 1 MOA with a stock 10FP all day.

Good luck,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.

I like to make it known up front that I shoot recreationally and am NOT a “sniper” professionally or otherwise.

I picked up a Savage 10FP at my local Sportsman’s Warehouse and mounted a Burris FFII tactical 4.5-14x42. I loaded several sets of loads using various powders with 168 & 175 SMK’s and shot 5-round groups at right around 1 MOA for 80 rounds total.

My best 5-round group (on this first day out) was .602

Spectacular? Not by any means… real – YES, I have no reason to lie about results like this. But the point is that the gun will shoot sub-MOA if I do my part.

What everyone should do with a bad sales person...
A couple years ago I went, with two of my men to a rather large and well known gun store in the Nashville Tn area. We were in civvies and started looking at some weapons....story shortened, the salesman was akin to the one Semour's friend encountered, we almost started laughing it was so bad and we quit talking with him and moved on down the counter. Later I notice him getting "authoritative" with a woman wanting to look at some hand guns (probably in the personal protection market) at that point I questioned the salesman we were getting some help from as to the owner or the store, one of the main owners was there at the time and the salesman introduced me to him. After introductions I told the owner how inept the first salesperson was and that most shops start losing customers eventually because of people like him...no telling what he was spewing to the woman! He thanked me and I really thought my "speaking up" was more than likely useless. BUT, I noticed he went over in proximity to the guy and evidently started listening. I kept looking for a while as I looked at different things and saw the owner walking the guy into the back...later at the register as we were leaving I said in passing to the owner "you weren't to hard on the guy were ya?" his reply was (as close as I remember) "I think so, I fired him after listening to the way we was talking to a customer, I want customers to be helped not preached to."

So the moral...if you can and the opportunity slaps you in the face...help send those idiots back to McDonald's where they belong!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MSG Janoski</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What everyone should do with a bad sales person...
A couple years ago I went, with two of my men to a rather large and well known gun store in the Nashville Tn area. We were in civvies and started looking at some weapons....story shortened, the salesman was akin to the one Semour's friend encountered, we almost started laughing it was so bad and we quit talking with him and moved on down the counter. Later I notice him getting "authoritative" with a woman wanting to look at some hand guns (probably in the personal protection market) at that point I questioned the salesman we were getting some help from as to the owner or the store, one of the main owners was there at the time and the salesman introduced me to him. After introductions I told the owner how inept the first salesperson was and that most shops start losing customers eventually because of people like him...no telling what he was spewing to the woman! He thanked me and I really thought my "speaking up" was more than likely useless. BUT, I noticed he went over in proximity to the guy and evidently started listening. I kept looking for a while as I looked at different things and saw the owner walking the guy into the back...later at the register as we were leaving I said in passing to the owner "you weren't to hard on the guy were ya?" his reply was (as close as I remember) "I think so, I fired him after listening to the way we was talking to a customer, I want customers to be helped not preached to."

So the moral...if you can and the opportunity slaps you in the face...help send those idiots back to McDonald's where they belong! </div></div>

Confronting the mayor of stupidville with his stupidity is never productive, going to the owner was a smart move and it sounds like the owner understands how to treat customers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a stevens 200 (budget savage not even close to the level of a 10FP). See my 5rd group at 100 in my sig and tell me he can't shoot a silver dollar. I could grap some WWB off the shelf and shoot 1 MOA with a stock 10FP all day.

Good luck,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet. </div></div>

I put a factory 10FP heavy barrel that had been cut down to 20" and recrowned on my Stevens 200 and it shot 3/4" to 1" groups at 100 yards. I discovered later that the bedding block had shifted while shooting, I wonder what kind of groups it wil make when I get a decent stock.

I have a handfull of Savages, some purchased, others that I built up off of model 10 & 12 actions. They all have shot better than your friends expectations, including the out of the box factory rifles.

Tell him he has a good start, and that good ammo + practice should get him better than he expects.

These groups are from a factory 10FCP HS 308.

dec282008.jpg

10at100-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Training Wheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a stevens 200 (budget savage not even close to the level of a 10FP). See my 5rd group at 100 in my sig and tell me he can't shoot a silver dollar. I could grap some WWB off the shelf and shoot 1 MOA with a stock 10FP all day.

Good luck,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet. </div></div>

I put a factory 10FP heavy barrel that had been cut down to 20" and recrowned on my Stevens 200 and it shot 3/4" to 1" groups at 100 yards. I discovered later that the bedding block had shifted while shooting, I wonder what kind of groups it wil make when I get a decent stock. </div></div>

Probably much better than mine as I was shooting mine with a noodle barrel. If you put your action into a decent stock and make sure you float the rear tang it's just up to you and your load development. I shot a 5 shot group today with 175grs that measured .6" and it would have been more like .4" if I wouldn't have pulled the last one.

Good luck,
Merritt

I too have a model 12, and when I do my part and with my hand loads, I shoot .1's to .3's at 100 yards. My range only has 100 yards. But soon will be going to a buddies after he gets his range done, it will be out to 3oo yards.

Same here. 10fp in Choate that hits .7 MOA average. I have a Precision carbine that I haven't shot too much but my last two groups were all touching and almost making a ragged hole.

Savage is a fine rifle.