• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

savage model 11 243, possible ground up build

murtaughf3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2012
Abilene Tx
i want the model 10 243, can't find it anywhere, but i can get a model 11 with bushnell scope and no accutrigger with synthetic stock for $420 OTD. i figure if i get the model 11 which is stripped, can i can start from the ground up on a build. any thoughts on weather or not this is a good idea?

upgrade in this order
glass, trigger, stock, barrel(i picked this one last because i figure i'll shoot it out before i upgrade, due to this being mostly a hunting rig and range 2nd)

Re: savage model 11 243, possible ground up build

The 6.5x47 Lapua in my sig started it's life as a model 11 in 270wsm.

Reasonable price out the door on that particular package gun.

That scope it comes with sucks...clarity and light transmission are much worse than even, say, a Nikon Prostaff. That said, it'll get you hunting and shooting in the interim.

FWIW, Bud's has the 10GXP3 243 package gun for $590 shipped. Only real difference between it and the less expensive Model 11 is an accutrigger and wood stock.

i've seen those gxp3 packages at the gun show but not on the savage website, are they last years model? going to a gun show tomorrow so going to see what they have before i make any moves. also not really sure that the wood stock and accu trigger is worth an extra $170, especially since thy only trigger expierence i have is with a mosin nagant, m16 and m1 garand, so i am kinda prescribing to the don't know what your missing category and should be ok with a normal trigger, then once i develop my skills i can pick a trigger

Standard Savage triggers suck. You can adjust it yourself for a VERY minimal investment using instructions online and get the pull down to a much better 3-4lbs. I did this with an older 110 of mine...went from awful to "much better, not great but manageable".

Or, you spend $85 on a Basix SAV-1 and be done with it.

Personally I wouldn't spend the money for the Model 10 package gun...get the cheaper model, throw the SAV-1 in and put the rest of the difference toward a new stock.

that's what i'm thinking. at first i was set on the model 10 but after a little more digging, i think the model 11 will better suit me, especially since everything seems to be the same except the scope and stock. so when it's all done that leaves me about $170 for upgrades right off the bate