• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage model 12 F/tr-308 or LR Prescision 6.5 CM ?

uncledog57

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2011
Morro Bay, Ca
Well I posted the other day that a had a line on the LR Precision 6.5 CM and now I find out I also can buy a F/TR 308? They both are under a hundred rounds and very clean. The 6.5CM is $650 and the 308 is $800. The range where I work and play at only has metal out to 400 yards and I really like the accuracy thing? I just can not make up my mind, I'm new enough to not know which one is good for me? What do you guys think? I'm ready to learn!

Re: Savage model 12 F/tr-308 or LR Prescision 6.5 CM ?

If you don't reload, 308. Otherwise, both should be plenty accurate and capable out to 400.

Even if you don't reload the 6.5 CM is a great choice. The factory Hornady ammo shoots very well; don't believe me? Just ask Rob01 or NOMAD. Recently Carl Bernosky won the National HP and the PA State HP championship shooting a 6.5CM he built and shooting 6.5 CM factory ammo.

For the difference in price on the 2 I'd opt for the 6.5 CM and put the $150 into the scope fund.

Bohem - I was leaning towards the 6.5 myself, but this little voice inside of me tells me I might miss something without a 308?
I am a reloader and actually like it!
Can anyone else sell the 308 to me? Just in case? LOl
Thank you guys!!

i have the model 12 f /tr. it shoots awsome. golf ball everytime at 300 yrd. shoot the sierra MK 168gr. with 46gr of varget and COL of 2.8210 witch is 5-thousants off the lands. cci LR bench rest primer. and farther out i can take a 12oz water bottle at 600yrd consistantly, and have had as good as a 7.25 inch group at 1000yrd with 13 shots. that and the 308 is very common when it comes to buying anything for it to reload. im sure the other is nice also man, in the end it is what you want. I have learned with my buying of fireams, if you have an itch for somthing there is only one of them that is going to scratch it.