• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Model 12 indentification help

SlimJim_

Private
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2020
So, this past weekend I picked up a very nice Savage model 12 in 6.5 CM at a local gun show, I'm just not really sure which model 12 it is. I been searching in the forums, Savages website, other forums etc., but can't really nail down what it is. It's not really imperative that I do, I'm just really curious. The guy that was selling builds custom bench guns, he had taken this one and pillar bedded & glass bedded the action into a Boyds stock. He also put a bottom plate in it to make it a single shot. It is very smooth and shoots well (consistent .5-.6 MOA groups with off the shelf ammo). I tried 10 different brands/weights of ammo and it shot all very well.
It does have an Accutrigger and it was set to 1lb, but will adjust down to about 6oz. I was thinking it was a 12FV or 12 LRP, but I'm not sure. If any of you guys could offer some input, I would be very greatful.

IMG_9968.jpg

IMG_9969.jpg

IMG_9999.jpg

IMG_9992.jpg

Reactions: TurdFerguson
Definitely not a factory rifle. Looks like a home-built job that was re-homed in the Boyd’s Tacticool/Varmint stock.

If I had to guess, the bolt and barrel aren’t even original to the receiver.

If it shoots……

The finish is on the rough side, so could just be a Cabela's special 12FV action gussied up with a new bolt handle and stock. And if the trigger can truly be set to 6oz it was worked over hard...make sure it's drop safe!

Reactions: SlimJim_
Could it be the Savage Model 12 Palma rifle. It had the Target version of the AccuTrigger which could be adjusted down to 6 oz?
Glimpse of the safety blade in the pics is silver...target triggers are red. And this action is a small shank, think the target actions are large shank??

The finish is on the rough side, so could just be a Cabela's special 12FV action gussied up with a new bolt handle and stock. And if the trigger can truly be set to 6oz it was worked over hard...make sure it's drop safe!
It is drop safe, I tried to get it fail multiple times and it didn't. I put about 75 rounds through it without any sort of failures or issues.

Glimpse of the safety blade in the pics is silver...target triggers are red. And this action is a small shank, think the target actions are large shank??
Yes, it is silver trigger and it is a small shank. That's what got me curious. The seller did say that he did some trigger work to it. I'm going to look closer at it to see if it's an aftermarket, I didn't really look that close at it before.

I am happy with this rifle in every way, shoots great, bolt lift is nice and the trigger is amazing (price was good too). Like I mentioned in the first post, I was just curious about the parts. I'm going to work up some loads soon to see what it likes. Hopefully it will be a performer.

Very nice and savage will never belong in the same sentence

Rex_Allen, would you be an Arizona resident? Inquiring minds, etc.

I happen to live about a 1/2 hr drive from Rex Allen Blvd, Willcox AZ.

Greg

One nice thing about the savage is the ability to buy new bolt handles. Looks like a new bolt handle, hard to tell about the barrel, but looks pretty standard.
Looks like one of these stocks:

I'd pop it out and see if it is bedded, if not, I would pillar and skim bed it.
Probably shoots really well.

Last edited:
One nice thing about the savage is the ability to buy new bolt handles. Looks like a new bolt handle, hard to tell about the barrel, but looks pretty standard.
Looks like one of these stocks:

I'd pop it out and see if it is bedded, if not, I would pillar and skim bed it.
Probably shoots lights really well.
It is the standard barrel. It is also has been pillared and bedded. I shot what purchased ammo that I had (S&B, Aguila, Barnes, Federal etc.) It shot most of it very well, except for the Aguila, it had the worst grouping. I'll be loading some 123gr match for it with the StaBALL match powder to see how it does.

IMG_9970.jpg

Are you sure that Staball MATCH is the correct powder?
It has the burn rate of VarGet.

6.5 Staball seems more appropriate

Are you sure that Staball MATCH is the correct powder?
It has the burn rate of VarGet.

6.5 Staball seems more appropriate
Yep, I've had very good results with it on 123gr ELD Match (38.4gr with an average velocity of 2,789 ft/sec), ended up with 0.345 MOA groups. It will work on 6.5 up to 142gr, no loads listed for heavier than that (on Hodgdon's website anyway).

Interesting. I hadn't looked at loads for the CM with Staball Match because the burn rate seemed too fast.
I've burned plenty of Staball 6.5 in it and the a couple of BRs.

I have a 12 Lrp it came with the same jeweled bolt but has a straight fluted barrel

What’s the action screw spacing?
Is it a flat back receiver never mind I see it’s round back.

Sorry about that, here are a few more photos. I was leaning torward a 12FV as well.

IMG_0359.jpg
IMG_0361.jpg

Here is the breakdown for Savage letter codes.

G - wood stock
F - synthetic stock
B - Boyds laminate stock
BT - Boyds thumbhole stock
V - Varmint barrel (medium contour)
SR - suppressor ready (threaded barrel)
L - left handed action
T - target model
XP - package rifle with factory mounted scope
S or SS - stainless steal action and barrel

I'll use three of my Savage rifles as examples

MkII GVL - wood stock, varmint barrel, left handed
Model 12 FVL - synthetic stock, varmint barrel, left handed
MKII BTVLSS - Boyds thumbhole stock, varmint barrel, left handed, stainless steal

For one of the most common models

Models 10/12/12/110/MkII FV and FV-SR - synthetic stock and varmint barrel or synthetic stock and varmint barrel and threaded barrel.

For the OP's rifle, I will also say it is most likely a Model 12 FV that someone installed a Boyds Pro Varmint stock on. As far as I know, Savage has never used the Boyds Pro Varmint stock as a factory option.

Here is the breakdown for Savage letter codes.

G - wood stock
F - synthetic stock
B - Boyds laminate stock
BT - Boyds thumbhole stock
V - Varmint barrel (medium contour)
SR - suppressor ready (threaded barrel)
L - left handed action
T - target model
XP - package rifle with factory mounted scope
S or SS - stainless steal action and barrel

I'll use three of my Savage rifles as examples

MkII GVL - wood stock, varmint barrel, left handed
Model 12 FVL - synthetic stock, varmint barrel, left handed
MKII BTVLSS - Boyds thumbhole stock, varmint barrel, left handed, stainless steal

For one of the most common models

Models 10/12/12/110/MkII FV and FV-SR - synthetic stock and varmint barrel or synthetic stock and varmint barrel and threaded barrel.

For the OP's rifle, I will also say it is most likely a Model 12 FV that someone installed a Boyds Pro Varmint stock on. As far as I know, Savage has never used the Boyds Pro Varmint stock as a factory option.

That is awesome! Thanks for that!

Reactions: 12Bravo20
That is the standard top bolt release used on pretty much all Savage models.
there's a bottom bolt release as well. but the 4.4" action spacing and bolt release mean its either the same action as the 12FV or it's the same rifle. The action does have a different finish which is odd but it looks to have been dressed up anyways.

there's a bottom bolt release as well. but the 4.4" action spacing and bolt release mean its either the same action as the 12FV or it's the same rifle. The action does have a different finish which is odd but it looks to have been dressed up anyways.

Yes there are bottom bolt releases too along with the different action screw spacing for the older staggered feed short action models. But when it comes to the top bolt release, it is the same no matter what model it is.