• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Model 12 LRP

AManWearingAHat

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2019
Hello Snipers Hide,

New to this world of long range shooting here. I have a couple questions regarding the rifle sitting in my safe currently and savages in general (hopefully none of them too stupid).

It seems to me that most of the membership, in my limited time browsing here, prefers Tikka or 700 style actions. I see very little mention of Savage rifles. I have had good experience with the factory Savage model 12 I have in .223 for short range (1-200 yards, range limitations) regularly putting up respectable sub .5MOA groups.

Naturally this experience lead me to pursue another 12, this time the LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor now that I have access to a 600 yard range. Does anyone here shoot Savages regularly that could share some experiences? Should I move it along and purchase something else? I got a pretty good deal on it I figure. Plus when it comes time to rebarrel, I am a fan of the Savage barrel nut system. I know Remage is an option as well, but that seems to limit barrel selection a bit.

My use case is mostly shooting off the bench / prone out to 600 and inside on both steel and paper. Mostly a range queen. I don't compete in F class, PRS or anything of the sort.

Any information would be great. Thank you!

Hello Snipers Hide,

New to this world of long range shooting here. I have a couple questions regarding the rifle sitting in my safe currently and savages in general (hopefully none of them too stupid).

It seems to me that most of the membership, in my limited time browsing here, prefers Tikka or 700 style actions. I see very little mention of Savage rifles. I have had good experience with the factory Savage model 12 I have in .223 for short range (1-200 yards, range limitations) regularly putting up respectable sub .5MOA groups.

Naturally this experience lead me to pursue another 12, this time the LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor now that I have access to a 600 yard range. Does anyone here shoot Savages regularly that could share some experiences? Should I move it along and purchase something else? I got a pretty good deal on it I figure. Plus when it comes time to rebarrel, I am a fan of the Savage barrel nut system. I know Remage is an option as well, but that seems to limit barrel selection a bit.

My use case is mostly shooting off the bench / prone out to 600 and inside on both steel and paper. Mostly a range queen. I don't compete in F class, PRS or anything of the sort.

I shoot a 12 LRP in 6.5cm. I love the rifle. I don’t compete with mine. It’s one of the most accurate rifles I’ve owned. The only thing I have done is ditch the accu trigger. You need to replace the extractor ball with a .140” ball. You can find them on Amazon cheap. I would check and see if the block in the stock needs skim bedding. Mine didn’t but I’ve seen HS stocks that weren’t quite true. Don’t listen to the haters and shoot your rifle. Mine embarrasses many custom rifles regularly.

I shoot a 12 LRP in 6.5cm. I love the rifle. I don’t compete with mine. It’s one of the most accurate rifles I’ve owned. The only thing I have done is ditch the accu trigger. You need to replace the extractor ball with a .140” ball. You can find them on Amazon cheap. I would check and see if the block in the stock needs skim bedding. Mine didn’t but I’ve seen HS stocks that weren’t quite true. Don’t listen to the haters and shoot your rifle. Mine embarrasses many custom rifles regularly.

How would one check if skim bedding is required? What trigger would you use in place of the accu-trigger?

I have some different thoughts; first, I would bed the rifle, because I bed everything to be confident that the rifle will hold its zero. They also seem to improve regarding group size. I am a great fan of the AccuTrigger, but I recommend the target model with the red blade. They can be adjusted plenty low, and they are very safe. You can get one on the internet for $100-125. I shoot a Savage barrel in 6.5 CM, and mine has shot a 5-shot group of 0.165". Quite a few groups under 0.25", and very reliably under 0.4". I have shot Tikka, and they are very accurate, but so are Howa and Bergara. I didn't know about the extractor fix, but that sounds like a great idea.

I've, fortunately, got the red blade accutrigger. I've adjusted it down to a pretty nice light pull, breaks very clean.

Honestly the only thing Ive found I don't like about the rifle so far is the giant billboard of a warning about the target trigger they put on the receiver. Thankfully it's not engraved in. I'm still glass shopping so I have not shot it yet. Soon I hope!

I too shoot a 12 LRP in 6.5 CM and get awesome groups, often 1/4 MOA with my hand loads. Mine isn’t bedded so the factory aluminum block must be working. I did have the CDI precision gunworks bottom metal put in my stock so I can run AICS magazines and it works well.

Of course it’s not as smooth operating as a custom build but I believe it shoots just as well as most.

Shoot your Savage and have fun! Spend money on training, even if its 'only' online training provided by the man behind this awesome forum.. and ammo.....oh and good glass is important too!

Reactions: spartan67
I've got a 260rem 12LRP in a MDT chassis that I'm 1k rounds into. Really like the rifle. I'll put it up against any other rifle. It shoots.

Reactions: devildog93
If you search you can find several threads on Savage rifles. There is a bias against Savages in general as they are considered to be lower end and unsuited to PRS/Competition due to ejection and other issues. I'm shooting a dolled up Savage 10 in 6.5 Creedmoor and it is a shooter - I have not had problems with ejection or any of the other problems folks have seen.

I'd say shoot your Savage and have a good time. I am.

VooDoo

A Savage is a great way to get your feet wet in precision rifle shooting. Spend that extra money on ammo and use the Savage as a stepping stone to garner experience.

I started with a couple of Savages and they were good rifles.

Reactions: Greg Langelius *
My model 10 has shot .6" groups at 300yds with my handloads. It has shot sub moa with AE 140otm 125 Deer XP 140Hornady match and 130fed (berger) match. This is in the accustock. The magazines take alot of work to run and the ejection issues are real. I've changed plungers and spring strengths to improve things but it hits the port and will be a pia if I go slow.
Run it hard no issues ejecting.
I would look at a chassis to run aics mags to fix the feeding issues. You also get the adaptability the HS doesn't have

Thank you for the information everyone! I will chime in again when I get it scoped and get some proper load development done

Reactions: Average guy
How would one check if skim bedding is required? What trigger would you use in place of the accu-trigger?
I loosen the screws and see if there’s a discernible rock in the action area. I put a Timney trigger in mine. The target accu trigger was a good trigger but I prefer the Timney.

C71CF09B-F6A9-4099-9DCC-FD747CE2618F.jpeg
This is what my Model 12 LRP is capable of. You will love that rifle.

Reactions: Dirty D
There's a reason Savage rifles are in the top ten most popular of PRS and most other comparable long range competitions.

@AManWearingAHat Savage Rifles are the "fat chicks" of Snipers Hide....they get the job done, but don't really compare well to a Tika or Custom rifle, and nobody thinks it's cool to be seen shooting one. ;)

That being said I have built three LR rigs (.260Rem, 6.5 Creed, 6.5 Saum) off of one 12 LRP action and two Mdl 12 Varmint actions (two Manners & one HS Precision stock). I built a nice shorty .308Win off of a Hog Hunter in a Boyds stock and also have a 12 BVSS in .223Rem. All have been upgraded to a rifle Basix trigger and I run 10-round Dark eagle magazines on all except the .223Rem and the SAUM. Every rifle shoots under 0.5MOA with minimal load development. I've run the .260Rem and 6.5 Creed in local PRS style competitions with zero issues. All the rifles run well, and I have been quite pleased with each of them for the roughly 4k combined rounds I've sent downrange with a Savage rifle.

About 18 months ago I got Remage curious and built one off a bone stock receiver, Criterion barrel, in a KRG Bravo chassis with MDT magazine. I eventually ended up with a Geissele 2-stage trigger, after the Timney CE 2-stage I had kept dragging on the cocking piece too much. I plan to test out a TriggerTech 2-stage whenever those release. I have nearly 2k rounds on this rifle including 600 on Pdogs and Woodchucks. Load development has been ridiculously easy and it too shoots sub 0.5MOA.

For me the only real differences are that I like the ergo's of the KRG Bravo more and appreciate the numerous trigger options on the Rem700 platform. Thus all my future builds will be Remage. However, I will be keeping my stable of Savage rifles and continue to enjoy shooting them. :)

That's a great looking rifle. Thank you for the input everyone. I'm really itching to get my savage out to stretch its legs!

There's a reason Savage rifles are in the top ten most popular of PRS and most other comparable long range competitions.
I do not personally compete in any of the long range disciplines but have attended and observed and shot with a lot of competitors in various disciplines and in PRS style shooting I have seen very few (actually I don't remember seeing any) Savages. In Bench Rest and F-Class I see a lot of Savages built up and tricked out to various desires.

PRS guys are not running or winning with Savage actions. Bench and F-Class guys are running a lot of Savage in my observations. YMMV.

VooDoo

Reactions: Average guy
I’ve got a couple savages and Remington 700’s. To compare a stock Savage to a stock Remington 700, I’ll take the savage. Remingtons are like glocks, they make fantastic firearms after you ditch the factory trigger and do 10 other mods that cost as much as the original gun. There is much better aftermarket support for Remington footprints and savage doesn’t do them selves any favors with the different bolt release configurations. But savage makes a great rifle, enjoy it. The reason it doesn’t get any love here is for heavy bolt lift and not very much aftermarket support compared to others.

I can say that my custom savage 10 doesn’t compare to my custom ARC Nucleus build. The custom action features are nice.

Reactions: bunsen27
My “fat chick” has been upgraded to trailer trash... I put my 110 Tactical into a heavily modified Boyd’s stock that has bottom metal I fabricated from mild steel, love this rifle.

I have made the stock fit me and the action and it shoots sub moa all day, everyday.

While I can appreciate custom actions I do this for fun and for myself, once the bolt closes, the holes in the target don’t care that they came from a rifle that cost less than a custom action...

And I think this is the reason SH hard cores are generally against Savage and low end rifles....this place is generally populated by hard core competitors and those who are seriously invested in PRS and professional shooting. The "casual" shooters like myself who are here for the fun of shooting and shooting accurately are generally on the other end of the scale.

The "Go be poor somewhere else" mentality is very strong here - if one can't/won't invest in the best of the best then one is off the radar here at Snipers Hide. The information and learning material here is second to none on the web which is why I cruise here. I have nearned more about precision shooting and all the extras here at SH than I have learned cruising a dozen other sites. One of the things I have learned is that many/most SH Forumites are *way* serious about using the very best to compete with other folks who most certainly *are* using the best equipment money can buy.

Savages are fabulous for those of us who run them but not competitive in the things this Forum generally focuses on...which is PRS and competing for time and accuracy at unknown distances. Stuff like a light/tight and fast bolt throw is critical here.

VooDoo

I started out with a 6.5 CM Savage LRP, over 2k through the barrel and it will still shoot as well or better than both of my custom rifles. Action isn't smooth compared to the Impact or even the stiller which isn't all that smooth. Trigger is something you get used to, I've got mine just under 2 lbs, it won't trip the accutrigger no matter how fast I run the bolt. I treat it like a two stage, take up the slack on the blade first making sure I'm contacting it correctly. It's actually good practice for proper position on the trigger. Lighten up the trigger to about 12 oz, if you push the blade sideways it will trip the accutrigger. Shoot a 1000 rounds or two through it and learn a lot. Then you can see if you need something better or different. They shoot, have fun embarrassing those custom rigs. :)

A lot of great advice. I definitely don't count myself among the top end competitors with the latest and greatest. I'm a scientist with a hobby, and it sounds like my M12 will serve me just fine for what I'm out there doing.

I put my old savage back together again.
I even resurrected the Choat stock and PTG bottom metal.
Running my original SFP scope even!
Total goat roper rifle.
Might try to get it zero’d tomorrow.

That savage has its third pre fit barrel now.
all in 260.
My first 1000, 1400 and 1700 yard hits are with that rifle.

Reactions: Tin Shot
So I've just purchased a Minox ZP5 from one of the members here. So my fat chick will get to stretch her legs soon!

Reactions: KTAK
And I think this is the reason SH hard cores are generally against Savage and low end rifles....this place is generally populated by hard core competitors and those who are seriously invested in PRS and professional shooting. The "casual" shooters like myself who are here for the fun of shooting and shooting accurately are generally on the other end of the scale.

There are certainly experienced competitors here, and folks that have a lot of hard earned skills and knowledge. There are also club shooters here in far greater numbers. Combined, they a small fraction of the membership here. They are in no way the majority. But they do attract a devoted following of internet "operators" who hang on their every word, and parrot their thoughts as though they earned the info themselves. They post lots of pictures of their AR, and are quick to share their parts list, but do very little actual shooting, don't compete, and didn't serve.

As to your thoughts, well, as you said, you don't compete. You might wait until you do compete, before pretending expertise you do not possess. Watching a baseball game on TV doesn't make you a ballplayer, so perhaps you'd be well advised, to go out and get 20-30 matches under your belt before you decide you know something about it.

Got that from a survey of PRS shooters, pretty sure it was PRB. But can't find the link now. It showed Savage as the 9th most popular rifle brand, with Ruger being the 7th (which surprised me). So, I guess I have to grumble an shut up until I can find it again.

I love smart ass pics. Yep, I stole yours.

There are certainly experienced competitors here, and folks that have a lot of hard earned skills and knowledge. There are also club shooters here in far greater numbers. Combined, they a small fraction of the membership here. They are in no way the majority. But they do attract a devoted following of internet "operators" who hang on their every word, and parrot their thoughts as though they earned the info themselves. They post lots of pictures of their AR, and are quick to share their parts list, but do very little actual shooting, don't compete, and didn't serve.

As to your thoughts, well, as you said, you don't compete. You might wait until you do compete, before pretending expertise you do not possess. Watching a baseball game on TV doesn't make you a ballplayer, so perhaps you'd be well advised, to go out and get 20-30 matches under your belt before you decide you know something about it.
I almost let this go but could not. I have competed in long distance shooting with a Savage 6.5x284 built by Fred at SSS. I beat 20K rigs and my rig was 1600. Sure equipment makes a difference but the person pulling the trigger makes all the difference. I have competed in the hardest environment known to man and I am still here alive all in one piece without the assistance of a custom made AR. I will build a custom rig but its because I can and not because it will make be a better shot. Each action makes a perfectly fine accurate rifle in the rights hands. So let's stop the bickering and enjoy the sport we all love.

Sure equipment makes a difference but the person pulling the trigger makes all the difference.

This. Finely finished and engineered firearms are a joy unto themselves. But shooters win matches, not rifles. Those guys in the top ten? They got there by working hard, and having some talent for it. You give them a Savage, Ruger, Bergara, Tikka or whatever, and likely they will kick your ass with it. Most of them, by the time they get there, have won a lot of guns, actions, and barrels. So yeah, they're shooting a custom build, because who wouldn't under those circumstances? But a custom build isn't necessary to be competitive at all.

Hello Snipers Hide,

I have had several Savage rifles and all have shot less than MOA with my hand loads. I currently have a Savage 110 that I put in a MDT LSS stock and shoots lights out with factory ammo. I am away from home now but I will reload and I am sure I can ge it to .5 MOA. I am in the process of building a Savage Model 12, criterion barrel and XLR chassis. I am positive it will be a tack driver. I will finish this one in the spring. Good luck and enjoy your rifle.

I started out with a 6.5 CM Savage LRP, over 2k through the barrel and it will still shoot as well or better than both of my custom rifles. Action isn't smooth compared to the Impact or even the stiller which isn't all that smooth. Trigger is something you get used to, I've got mine just under 2 lbs, it won't trip the accutrigger no matter how fast I run the bolt. I treat it like a two stage, take up the slack on the blade first making sure I'm contacting it correctly. It's actually good practice for proper position on the trigger. Lighten up the trigger to about 12 oz, if you push the blade sideways it will trip the accutrigger. Shoot a 1000 rounds or two through it and learn a lot. Then you can see if you need something better or different. They shoot, have fun embarrassing those custom rigs. :)
What bullet did you find working the best in the 12 LRP? I'm currently leaning towards either the Hornady 130 ELD match or the Berger 130 VLD Match.

What bullet did you find working the best in the 12 LRP? I'm currently leaning towards either the Hornady 130 ELD match or the Berger 130 VLD Match.
136 scenar shot extremely well out of my 260

So far have had good luck with the regular ole Hornady 140 grain OTM, haven't tried the ELD's yet.

You can tune any bullet for a creedmor. I have not shot any 130's I would go with the new 130smk if I were though if I did. I shoot the 147's and have been very pleased with them.

I've been a Savage shooter since the 1990's when my friends in a Marine Corps League Pistol Team decided to take up rifles. Our basic choice was the 10FP .308,
and they were good enough to develop individual marksmanship basics, and to compete in very early versions of F Class and NRA Highpower N/M. We were far from experts. Our goals were improvements and fun, and the rifles served that purpose admirably. Savage also provided some very needed assistance to this site when it was first starting, and I, for at least one, am deeply grateful for their help, along with McMillan, Sharpshooter Supply, and Ramshot Powders.

Remington ruled back then, but cheaped out and became mediocre. They are paying the price for that mediocrity.

These days, Savage has become a nearly completely different company, and had Remington survived, I would have preferred Savage products in a straight up comparison. Practically everything Remington has done in their way to fail has been done the opposite way by Savage to succeed.

But this is a different market today. Many new, smaller companies have revamped the Remington products as their own versions, and also gone straight outside the lines to create new products, many of which are exquisite, but also exquisitely pricey. Nothing wrong with that; everyone benefits from the competition. Savage has stuck to its niche and expanded its line. No longer super cheap costs, but good looking, good shooting products provided as factory rifles. Many choices. many specialty rifles. They cannot compare with many of the newer competition, but honestly; they don't have to at their price point.

My main three Savages are a 2001 model 10FP 260, tricked out with a McMillan A3 stock, SSS trigger, and L-W 28" 260 Rem barrel. I've configured it for F Open and shot it several years in 1000yd F Open comp. The other two are a matching pair of Savage 11VT's with 24" factory heavy barrels, modified with Choate Tactical Stocks with several Choate LOP extenders and adjustable Kydex cheek rests. One is chambered in 223, and the other in 308, intended as entry level F T/R rifles, the 223 has been shot in national level 600yd MR F T/R comp. The only weak link in these projects is myself, my age (Grand Senior) no longer supports a concerted approach to such competitions. But the rifles serve their purposes nicely. One of their primary purposes is to be competitive at a minimal cost. That achieve just that. At the time they were concocted (roughly 2015), they were assembled for under $1k each, including 8-32 optics.

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: NewsShooter
Wanted to add that I'm shooting Hornady 147 gr. ELD-M's over 47 gr. of RL-26 in once fired Hornady brass loaded to Factory OAL because tweaking OAL yielded zero results for me.

Bughole100yards.jpg

7 round group at 100 yards.....Savage 10 FCP-SR in pretty severe wind. Is it ultra silky sooth and totally precision? Nope...it's a hack built by a newbie but it shoots *WAY* better than I can shoot. But it's never missed an ejection or feed and extraction and feed have been flawless and I'm now approaching end of anticipated barrel life. It is not a competition gun but *DaMn!* does it impress folks at the range. Scary accurate in the hands of a newbie dumbass.

Prone200yards.jpg

Savages ain't purty, sexy, precision, or fancy but hot damn they still shoot sub MOA Right out 'da Box and with a little tweaking and love they are very good bang for the buck. I'm Whoring for a .338 Lapua rig and will probably build it on a Savage action.

VooDoo

Reactions: Bandit320
Wanted to add that I'm shooting Hornady 147 gr. ELD-M's over 47 gr. of RL-26 in once fired Hornady brass loaded to Factory OAL because tweaking OAL yielded zero results for me.

View attachment 7520021

7 round group at 100 yards.....Savage 10 FCP-SR in pretty severe wind. Is it ultra silky sooth and totally precision? Nope...it's a hack built by a newbie but it shoots *WAY* better than I can shoot. But it's never missed an ejection or feed and extraction and feed have been flawless and I'm now approaching end of anticipated barrel life. It is not a competition gun but *DaMn!* does it impress folks at the range. Scary accurate in the hands of a newbie dumbass.

Savages ain't purty, sexy, precision, or fancy but hot damn they still shoot sub MOA Right out 'da Box and with a little tweaking and love they are very good bang for the buck. I'm Whoring for a .338 Lapua rig and will probably build it on a Savage action.

VooDoo

Yep, my original 6.5 LRP still shoots great with over 2K though the barrel. It's now in the hands of a good friend learning to shoot long range. When the barrel finally wears out I'll swap it for him on my kitchen counter. :)

Reactions: DH302
Hello all, i recently purchased a Savage 12, 26" LRP, my "fat chick" 6.5 creedmoor has been a great build so far.. like everyone here, I've been tinkering with brands of 140 grains. AAC is my next try at the range. As some say im not a great fan of the stock , looking to put it in a XRS for general shooting on the weekends. Anyone else think i should save up an ESS ? not that we all need it.. but it's more of a xmas list item..

Accuracy means nothing without reliability.
I have north of 17,000 rounds of reliability testing on my Savages without a single failure to feed, fire, extract or eject.
All have 100% factory ejectors, extractors, springs and balls.
The bolt handles have been changed on the short actions with genuine Savage parts to be identical to the long action in 338 Lapua.

PS: The one without a brake is a 6MM Norma BR that I installed that barrel on it a few weeks ago.
I got the barrel for about $260USD from a local guy who bought the barreled action for the action itself.
This is the initial load development for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: shoots100
Hello all, i recently purchased a Savage 12, 26" LRP, my "fat chick" 6.5 creedmoor has been a great build so far.. like everyone here, I've been tinkering with brands of 140 grains. AAC is my next try at the range. As some say im not a great fan of the stock , looking to put it in a XRS for general shooting on the weekends. Anyone else think i should save up an ESS ? not that we all need it.. but it's more of a xmas list item..
What is it about the ESS that you like?
I have the XRS on a CZ 457 22 and love it.
You can also add an enclosed forend with ARCA rail to the XRS for $160

I also have an LSS-XL and an ACC.
The LSS-XL is in my pic a couple of posts up.
Both have an open top which I prefer to get large scopes with 56mm objectives as low as possible.
The LSS-XL was my first MDT chassis but the forend is a lot more flimsy than the XRS and the ACC.
I suspect that the ESS is also very solid since it looks similar to the ACC.

Reactions: CrispyRiceBall
Savage does sell 650,000 rifles a year, so there's bound to be some issues with some of them.
No functional issues (other than some early magazine issues that have resolved ) with any of my three Savage rifles ( Model 110 Storm in .223, Model 12 LRPV in .223 and 93R17, 17HMR ).

Reactions: CrispyRiceBall
What is it about the ESS that you like?
I have the XRS on a CZ 457 22 and love it.
You can also add an enclosed forend with ARCA rail to the XRS for $160

I also have an LSS-XL and an ACC.
The LSS-XL is in my pic a couple of posts up.
Both have an open top which I prefer to get large scopes with 56mm objectives as low as possible.
The LSS-XL was my first MDT chassis but the forend is a lot more flimsy than the XRS and the ACC.
I suspect that the ESS is also very solid since it looks similar to the ACC.
Exactly, I've built a Ruger predator 6.5 in a LSS chassis and it made it enjoyable to shoot with it's rigid stock, (not to mention it was a raffled prized from my local shop) . I thought the ESS is one of those " do I really need it " if the XRS is just as good for weekend shooting .

I mean to try to compete later down the road and im possibly just trying to hype myself up for the ESS?