• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Model TRR-SR rifle review.....

mgd45

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2008
Ga.
Well, I came across this rifle last week in my local store & kind of got "hooked" by it. I really wanted the Mark II series TRR-SR rifle, since it was bolt action & has the AccuTrigger, but it runs about $560 & my local store couldn't find one in stock from their distributor......and this one I could walk out the door with for $269! So I got it....

Took it to the range for a little ammo testing at 25 & 50 yards...Dropped my Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x scope on it & after buying 8 different brands of ammo....off I went.

The stock is really nice & feels good. The barrel is free floated & even with a bipod attached, it stays free floated. The flutes on the barrel are probably just for looks.....but I did shoot about 100 rounds through the gun today with very little "cool down" periods & the barrel never felt warm or hot.

The trigger.....well.....it SUCKS! You wouldn't want to shoot any competitions with it.....because it feels like your trying to drag a 10 lb bag of sand over a concrete drive-way with just your trigger finger. I had to REALLY CONCENTRATE hard on my trigger pull & focusing on the reticule to make sure it didn't pull off target during the pull. I will test it tomorrow on a Lyman digital trigger pull weight gauge.....but I would put it around 6 lbs....with crappy creep...anyway, it's fine for small critter shooting.

Now the pics.....the rifle...
IMG_1946.jpg

IMG_1948.jpg

IMG_1949.jpg

Now for the target pics.....

Remington 22 Target ammo
Rem22Target.jpg

Remington Golden Bullet ammo
RemGoldenBullet.jpg

Remington Subsonic ammo
Rem22Subsonic.jpg

Winchester Super X ammo
WinSuperX.jpg

Blazer ammo
Blazer.jpg

Aguilar ammo
Aguila.jpg

CCI-Stinger ammo
CCI-Stinger.jpg

Re: Savage Model TRR-SR rifle review.....

Wolf Target Match ammo
WolfTargetMatch.jpg

the Wolf Target Match was definitely the best grouping ammo, but I really think that if I work on the trigger, I might be able to improve on the other groups.....I think...LOL!

Anyone looking for a neat, little, fun, Tacticool, suppressor ready, squirrel gun will enjoy it.....especially for $269!!

You got a great price! Probably due to the poor trigger. Mine is excellent and I get less than .400 at 100 yards with the Wolf MT. Work on the trigger and you will be amazed.

Ok.....update on one feature of the rifle....cleaning it.

Apparently you have to completely remove the barrel from the action in order to run a cleaning rod through it....so in order to clean the rifle, you must first remove the barreled action from the stock, remove the magazine well, trigger assembly & the barrel band "thingy"...then clamp the action in a vice & try & separate it from the barrel! Not an easy cleaning feature at all....

I don't have a vice, so I never could get the barrel removed, but I was able to slowly get a .223 bore snake into the chamber & clean the barrel that way....not very happy with the ridiculous procedures to clean.
mad.gif

After looking at your pictures again I realize you have the semi auto version. Mine is the bolt action with an Accu Trigger. Apples and oranges.

Anyway, I just use a Boresnake and or some weed wacker line with a melted ball on one end to hold a wet patch as I pull it through. There are a lot of people here who never clean their 22 bore.

No this is the Model 64......which is semi-auto.

I tried it first with my Otis kit.....but when you thread in a bore brush to the Otis cable it becomes too long & won't go in the chamber because it can't bend past the bolt.....

Other than that, it's a fun gun. I'm seriously considering getting a suppressor to complete the package.

Cool....I will do that, thanks!

Nice. I've been looking at several different rifles over the past few months for my next toy. That's a nice rig. I've decided that in the summer it will be the Mark II TRR in bolt action .22 since I find that I do most of my shooting these days at 50. I'll be saving the .17 for the 100 yard comps unless the Savage turns out to be even better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mgd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok.....update on one feature of the rifle....cleaning it.

Apparently you have to completely remove the barrel from the action in order to run a cleaning rod through it....so in order to clean the rifle, you must first remove the barreled action from the stock, remove the magazine well, trigger assembly & the barrel band "thingy"...then clamp the action in a vice & try & separate it from the barrel! Not an easy cleaning feature at all....

I don't have a vice, so I never could get the barrel removed, but I was able to slowly get a .223 bore snake into the chamber & clean the barrel that way....not very happy with the ridiculous procedures to clean.
mad.gif
</div></div>

Nobody, but NOBODY takes a 22 rimfire barrel out of an action to clean it.

95% of shooters don't even clean their 22 rimfires at all.

I have cleaned my 40 X target rifle rimfire ONCE, when I got it. I have never cleaned my 10/22 or my 64 BTV (same action as your 64 TRR-SR).

Just relax and enjoy it - if you really MUST clean it, get a plastic coated rod and clean it from the muzzle.

Meow
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

try the CCI Subsonic. My TRR bold action shoots great with this load. One ragged hole at 25yds and under 1/2 inch at 50.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CatShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mgd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok.....update on one feature of the rifle....cleaning it.

mad.gif
</div></div>

I have cleaned my 40 X target rifle rimfire ONCE, when I got it. I have never cleaned my 10/22 or my 64 BTV (same action as your 64 TRR-SR).

Just relax and enjoy it - if you really MUST clean it, get a plastic coated rod and clean it from the muzzle.

Meow
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

</div></div>

Too true! A guy I work with has a ruger 77/22 and had never cleaned in (for about 20 years of tree rat hunting). The gun was a laser until he cleaned it! After several (2-300) rounds accuracy came back and he is happy with it again!

Find some short (pistol sized) .22 brushes and a loop style jag. Insert your rod from muzzle to breach and screw on your brush from the ejection port and pull through. Same procedure for the patches. This way you still clean breach-to-muzzle and reduce chances of damaging the crown.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CatShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mgd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok.....update on one feature of the rifle....cleaning it.

mad.gif
</div></div>

Meow
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

</div></div>

Sorry but my Cooper needs the chamber cleaned every once in a while, otherwise it will not extract UNFIRED rounds. This only happens when shooting suppressed though. I usually just run a bore snake through it a couple of times.