• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage MSR Patrol Short Throat?

yotesniper66

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2017
Central Illinois
I'm trying to load for my MSR Patrol with the 60 gr VMax and LC brass trimmed to 1.753. Using the Hornady LNL case and and OAL guage, my CBTO is 1.849 which puts the COAL at 2.224. Way short of mag length. At .020 off the lands that puts me at 1.829 CBTO and 2.204 COAL. I was doubting my measurements but tried again getting the same results, I've also measured a couple of my other AR's and two of my bolt guns and they have CBTO's that equate to COAL's above 2.260. I also loaded a dummy round at 2.260 and marked the Ogive, loading, extracting, then seating down .005 marking and loading until I reached 2.240. I eased the charge handle and it wouldn't close even using the forward assist. I had to let the bolt slam home to close the bolt. Each time it showed rifling marks, extracted fine and did not change COAL. This rifle shoots Black Hills 60 gr VMax great (2.245 COAL) and there are no pressure signs but it does worry me. I've emailed Savage Customer Service but they are notoriously slow at returning emails. Anyone else have this problem with their MSR AR15 or have any suggestions?

2.255 is as far as I can take mine in my ar15. If your rifle isn't showing pressure signs and is accurate, I'm not sure what your worry is.

2.255 is as far as I can take mine in my ar15. If your rifle isn't showing pressure signs and is accurate, I'm not sure what your worry is.
If mine went to 2.255 it would bother me, but 2.224 does. Especially when my other rifles, two of which are Savage, have a chamber that allows a COAL over suggested min. Just didn't think this was normal for a mass produced barrel due to liability issues of possible over pressure. I just wanted to see if any other Savage MSR s had the same issue. Unless I hear different from Savage, I'll probably proceed with a COAL to match that of the Black Hills since it shot it well.

Last edited:
Well. Savage is known for short throats in their bolt guns. A little more problematic in a short mag length auto.

Have you tryed any factory ammo through it?