• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Savage(older staggard fed) 300 BLK problem

Creature

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2007
The rifle is done, or at least I thought. I went out to test fire the other day and it was having some serious feeding and extracting/ejecting issues. The rifle was built from one of the older stevens model 200s and has the staggered fed internal magazine.

The follower/spring was from a .223 which i'm not sure has anything to do with the problem. It is push feed and when the round kicks out of the magazine the tip of the bullet hits the breech of the barrel(instead of chambering). I'm guessing this is due to the lip of the box mag and possibly the follower being for .223. Feeding does work fine with .223 as the bullet tip has already entered the chamber before kicking out of magazine.

When I pull the bolt back to eject the case the extractor claw puts enough pressure on the rim to tilt the case, but not clear the rifle. This isn't the main issue as I heard from a friend that you can use a ball bearing under the spring of the extractor to increase tension. I have one and need to out it in.

The main issue I'm concerned about is the feeding. I'm wondering if I could get a magazine with extended lips or if the follower has any play in this. Are there any options for a different magazine system that is compatible with the older staggered feed rifles?

Any thoughts or experience on this matter would be greatly appreciated. The rifle is super quiet with subs and I'd really like to get it running.

Re: Savage(older staggard fed) 300 BLK problem

I believe the problem is the super short cartridge leaving the magazine too soon. I do know you can get CDI precision bottom metal/mag and that should remedy your problem but you are talking around $200-300 more. I just built a 300/221 on a newer .223 Savage centerfeed blind mag and it works perfectly.

I just realized this is in the semi-auto section. Mine is a bolt action and thats what the CDI bottom metal works for, not semi-autos. Sorry.

Re: Savage(older staggard fed) 300 BLK problem

Dammit, I meant to post in the bolt action section. Could someone move this please or I will repost.