• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

savage or browning?

bullfisher

Private
Minuteman
Aug 17, 2012
First post here so please excuse any retarded questions I ask.
I have a major long range monkey on my back, and I'm contemplating a 600yd plus build out of one of my rifles. So here's my question. Out of my rifles the only two worthy is a savage 12 26" ss bb in 300wsm. Or a browning A bolt in ss. Which would be an easier more accurate build?

Re: savage or browning?

If I read "SS BB" as Stainless bull barrel then the decision would be easy for me the Savage will do well in its stock form to get you started and there are lots of aftermarket upgrades available when you want them.

without a doubt go savage.

i had a browning a bolt in 338 rum and it was a pain to get parts for.

savage is easy to get parts , stocks , etc.

browning is a really nice rifle just like it for what it is

With savage you can change your own bbls. And there are more aftermarket long range upgrades. good luck

savage it is then! That's good, its my favorite anyway. Just wasn't sure if there was something special about the browning action or if the savage needed reworked to get that kind of range accuracy? I do like the A bolt lift angle however. The savage is a 1:10 twist with a pretty descent barrel I'm told. Is the savage action capable of 800-1000yds in stock form?

Easily the Savage, although the Browning is a good rifle as well, the Savage is imo more accurate and much easier to build off of.

The 300 WSM cartridge is a well suited cartridge for 1000 yd shooting just as capable as its counter part the 300 WM.

Edit: What sort of accuracy are you seeing now? Savages are usually known to be quite accurate out of the box.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 230grRN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 300 WSM cartridge is a well suited cartridge for 1000 yd shooting just as capable as its counter part the 300 WM.

Edit: What sort of accuracy are you seeing now? Savages are usually known to be quite accurate out of the box. </div></div>

With my current loads, 4"@ 400yds. Outside of that its a guess (more than likely me). The gun is very accurate in my sled, but the stock and scope combo just don't jive, and I'm not stuck on the loads I'm using so I figured I would start over, with a comfy stock. Then a box mag lower (hate the internal), and then of course a wallet draining piece of glass. It has a well tuned break for those pesky 300sm rounds so I'm pretty attached to the barrel. But I've read where the bolt face on some savages need to be worked. Any thoughts? Also, my loads seem to be wobbling at 100yds. I think i need to be a little closer to the lands as box ammo won't do this. Using h4350 180 accubond.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bullfisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 230grRN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 300 WSM cartridge is a well suited cartridge for 1000 yd shooting just as capable as its counter part the 300 WM.

Edit: What sort of accuracy are you seeing now? Savages are usually known to be quite accurate out of the box. </div></div>

With my current loads, 4"@ 400yds. Outside of that its a guess (more than likely me). The gun is very accurate in my sled, but the stock and scope combo just don't jive, and I'm not stuck on the loads I'm using so I figured I would start over, with a comfy stock. Then a box mag lower (hate the internal), and then of course a wallet draining piece of glass. It has a well tuned break for those pesky 300sm rounds so I'm pretty attached to the barrel. But I've read where the bolt face on some savages need to be worked. Any thoughts? Also, my loads seem to be wobbling at 100yds. I think i need to be a little closer to the lands as box ammo won't do this. Using h4350 180 accubond. </div></div>

I'm not sure what your budget is but if you're wanting a new stock I would go with a Manners or McMillan, I have a Choate Tactical on my Savage and I like it but think I would more prefer a Manners...also depending on your budget and likes you could drop in into a chassis. Savages are the best to build up yourself! Goodluck

I would just switch the accu-bonds for some 178gr. Amax's. They are great out of my 300 shorty Savage!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BenY 2013</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bullfisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 230grRN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 300 WSM cartridge is a well suited cartridge for 1000 yd shooting just as capable as its counter part the 300 WM.

With my current loads, 4"@ 400yds. Outside of that its a guess (more than likely me). The gun is very accurate in my sled, but the stock and scope combo just don't jive, and I'm not stuck on the loads I'm using so I figured I would start over, with a comfy stock. Then a box mag lower (hate the internal), and then of course a wallet draining piece of glass. It has a well tuned break for those pesky 300sm rounds so I'm pretty attached to the barrel. But I've read where the bolt face on some savages need to be worked. Any thoughts? Also, my loads seem to be wobbling at 100yds. I think i need to be a little closer to the lands as box ammo won't do this. Using h4350 180 accubond. </div></div>

I'm not sure what your budget is but if you're wanting a new stock I would go with a Manners or McMillan, I have a Choate Tactical on my Savage and I like it but think I would more prefer a Manners...also depending on your budget and likes you could drop in into a chassis. Savages are the best to build up yourself! Goodluck </div></div>
haven't looked at the manners yet. Trying to stay on the lighter side for the stock. I noticed some are pretty heavy. Not to sound like a tard here but define chassis.
This is a great site, with good help. This build might happen sooner than I thought.

Think of a chassis being similar to a traditional wood stock, but made out of different material (aluminum, others). But the primary difference is that a chassis enables several options for using aftermarket parts from Magpul and other companies - butt stocks, attaching Picatinny rails, etc.
There are several on the market. I just bought the JP AMCS for my Rem 700 SA in 308. Love it. It comes in either a benchrest style with the flat bottom or the modular forearm which gives the look of a tube style setup. I chose the modular forearm style. Most chassis also meet your preference for using a box magazine.

Link for JP AMCS - http://www.jprifles.com/1.2.6.1_AMCS.php