• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage owners? Need your help! Decision time.

uncledog57

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2011
Morro Bay, Ca
Okay I need your help! A month or so ago I posted Savage had a demo day at the range I work at? Well they offered a deal to our employee's on their product line. So I'm going to get one.
Originally I was going to get the model 12 LR Precision in 6.5 creedmoor, given it is so great at 1000 yards? Now I'm not so sure? I have read some really good things here on the Hide about the Model 10 FCP's. If you had a choice and want to shoot LR precision which model would you get and why? Also did I overlook something in their product line?
As always thanks so much for all of your input!!

Re: Savage owners? Need your help! Decision time.

If it were me, I'd go with you first selection.

Other factors may take priority. Such as ammo cost and ease of reload-ability.

I believe the good things you hear are simply because those are the more popular models, therefore you will get more opinions.

I have the 10FCP in .308, hands down the best buy I ever made, done more killing and made more hits with it than all the others (custom or otherwise) combined. That said, I wouldn't mind a 6.5CM.

I have a 10fcp-k. but had no use for the stock. It shoots great, love the accutrigger and the finish is superb.

Drawbacks are that savage is very wishy washy (meaning change for change sake like relocating their bolt release changes their stock design) with their technology and designs which make a lot of aftermarket manufacturers not want to keep up with them. Hard to find upgrades/add ons/stocks as compared to the 700.

on the other hand, the best gun you own is the one that finally pushes you to reload...so nevermind all that stuff in your decision...just reload your own, it's easy.

I believe the model 12 is a better over all rifle. I've seen them in bone stock configurations do major damage at competitions. I think it's easily the best savage platform that is offered.

Good luck,
Merritt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe the model 12 is a better over all rifle. I've seen them in bone stock configurations do major damage at competitions. I think it's easily the best savage platform that is offered.

Good luck,
Merritt</div></div>

Agree, the larger target action will make it a bit more sturdier. Better trigger, better chamber, better overall rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jay Park</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Better trigger, better chamber </div></div>

And just why exactly do you say the trigger and chamber are better?

target accutrigger possibly. it will adjust down to 6 oz. cant say about the chamber

and the 10 is just a 12 with flat black coating. the 10, 11, 12 and 14 are all the same except finish and metal where the receiver is concerned. at one time i think 14s were stainless, 11s and 12s were blued and 10s were flat black. i think that was the way it went. but just pick what you like. call the factory and get it built the way you want. its just a designation as to the type of rifle

I'm buying a LRP in 6.5 tonight. I've looked throughout the hide and can only count 3 that have them and they all say they shoot great. There is about a dozen lrp owners that have .260s and say they shoot great.

For 750 bucks it doesn't hurt to try it you can resell and get most of your money back out of it at that price.

Go with the original choice. I shot next to a guy with the 12 LRP and it's one hell of a gun. He did pretty damn good in the 1000yd com we were shooting and he was using his reloads in the 260. I'd go Creedmoor and just use factory ammo or reload anduse factory specs as they are spot on.

Do you reload your own ammo? If not I'd go with the 10FCP. Either one would be a great rifle but there's way more factory ammo available for the .308

Anti material I do reload.
It sound like I should go with the LRP? I started to doubt my original choice? but you guys have me back on track.
Axeman I believe there is a difference in the model 12 actions?
The rep for Savage told us the are a heavier built action compared to the rest of the line. He also had people slowing down closing the bolt cause if you slammed it home the trigger would lock up and not fire. He said it was cause they were able to be set so light it was a safety issue and to keep the attorneys happy.

Just looking at the 12 on Savage's website it has a heavier more ridged receiver than my model 10FP. I would opt for the 12 for a long range target gun, or a 10FCP for a tactical build.

Why not a long action, I have had a .300wm 110 for 16 years and love it.

Yeah, if you reload I'd go for the 6.5 Model 12. I handled one a few weeks ago & it's definitely a NICE rifle. The action is smooth & it locks up really tight.

My money would be on the 11/111 Long Range Hunter. You can choose .260 to 6.5CM, or a number of more potent chamberings. Except for optics and mounts, it's exactly what I'd want for reaching out there and touching.

The Savage Adjustable Muzzle Brake adjusts on/off, the Karsten cheekpiece adjusts to line up the eye level with the optics' center axis. Trigger is adjustable, and the Accustock provides a truly solid mounting platform for the barrelled action. More recent versions have done away with the wedge accurizer. The Accutrigger is weight adjustable.

There's not a whole lot left to be wanting. Weight is in the 8 1/2lb range without optics and mounts, which would bring it up to about 10lb. That's a tad light for sustained fire applications. I boosted my 10 Predator Hunter's very similar mass with a couple of pounds of buckshot in the aft stock cavity, and now it's in the 12 1/2lb range.

Greg

Well I'm resold on the 6.5CM. I'm actually pretty excited. Now comes the dreaded choice of optics Lol. I'm pretty sure I will go with anther Vortex PST. I really love the one I just got. It does everything I want out of a scope! And first hand knowledge their CS is outstanding!!

I own two fcp-k's and have a lot of experience with my buddy's 10fcp and lrp in 6.5cm. Do yourself a favor and get that lrp. That is one slick rifle. It just flat-out shoots!

Talked with Savage today. The LRP 60.5CM should be here in 30 days.
I'm pretty excited, I really want to take it out and stretch its legs. I only hope I can do my part?