• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Savage pre accu trigger

Johncalloway

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham, Alabama
can anyone tell me what I need to do to this trigger to lighten it up. I have done several of my remingtons, so if it is anything like it, it should be easy. Thank you in advance.

Re: Savage pre accu trigger

Looks easy, isn't. The functioning of the trigger poundage and safety reliability are linked in the same adjustment. If you don't know what you're doing, take it to a reputable smith and pay the money. Don't expect it to go down to ounces, either.

When you get it back, make sure it's empty, cock it, set the safety 'on', pull the trigger firmly and release it, bang the buttplate firmly on the floor several times, then release the safety. If the striker/firing pin go snap, the job was not done right. Even gunsmiths sometimes get this one wrong.

I don't even really trust the safety on any rifle, and particularly Savages which have had their trigger worked, even by myself, maybe especially by myself.

The adjustment is a screw on the side of the trigger mechanism which engages a straight (as opposed to coiled) wire hairspring. It will probably be anchored with some form of threadlocking compound. Screwing it in adds trigger poundage, and unscrewing it reduces poundage.

Each time you try an adjustment, reassemble the rifle and do the above safety test. There is a fair amount of adjustment range, but as it gets lighter beyond a certain point, the safety becomes unreliable, so not all of that adjustment range is actually useable. Once the adjustment is made, the threadlocker needs to be redone.

Since this is a judgement call, I can neither tell you it's OK to try this, nor can I accept any responsibility for consequences if you try. Some gun owners will say to themselves that since it's their rifle, they will know there's an issue, and treat the firearm with extra respect, so everything is just ducky. The flaw in this reasoning is that they cannot ensure that they will only ever be the only person handling the firearm thereafter. A firearm is either safe or unsafe, there is no in between; <span style="font-style: italic">and anyone who willingly accepts ownership of an usafe firearm is not thinking with the right head</span>.

Best approach is to send the rifle to Sharpshooter Supply or Kevin Rayhill, and have them install a quality replacement adjustable trigger.

Greg

Do yourself a favor. Spend $100 and get a rifle basix trigger and lose that POS Savage trigger. The rifle Basix is a great trigger, easy as shit to install and setup.

I have 2 pre-accu-trigger rifles, both have Timney's in them. Both were easy to install and adjust. Double check the function of the saftey as mentioned above.

I have three savages and I have done all three triggers on them they are easy an don't take that long. Replace the old spring with a new lighter piano spring, if you send me a pre-addressed letter i will send you the right one for free. if you can do a remmy you definitely can do a savage. Mine are not in the ounces but they are light and crisp. Does yours have three set screws on it?

LongArm

thanks for all of your help guys, I will eventually get a aftermarket, but for now, I will play with the one I got.