• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Precision Carbine vs Savage Model 10/110 FCP HS Precision - .308

mjphawk

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2013
Boynton Beach, FL
I have decided to take the leap and get into long range shooting and have narrowed my selection down to two primary choices but I have not been able to find a direct comparison. The two primary choices. I have narrowed my decision down to (both in .308 Win):

• Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine: 20-inch barrel, Accu-Stock
  • Savage Model 10/110 FCP HS Precision: 24-inch barrel, HS Precision, aluminum bedded stock
I would like to be able to possibly shoot out to 1,000 yards one day. Most of my shooting will be within 500 yards. More important than max range is that I would like to get the most accurate set-up possible.

Few considerations which I have been going back and forth on and would like to ask for additional input

• Stock - Possibly the largest factor that has me considering the FCP HS Precision is the stock. The HS Precision stock is aluminum bedded and I would plan to perform a full bedding job. I likely would not be able to do a bedding on the Accu-Stock in the Precision Carbine. Which stock has the accuracy advantage?
  • Muzzle velocity – will the velocity difference make a significant enough difference to warrant the extra weight? Will it mean the difference between being able to shoot to 1,000 yards?
  • Barrel rigidity – I believe the FCP has a larger diameter barrel than the precision carbine. Thoughts on the trade-off of length vs. diameter
Any input anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Are there additional items I am not considering? I am open to other suggestions that are not listed here as well, but am primarily looking for thoughts on the direct comparison.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10FCPHS
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10PRECISIONCARBINE

Last edited:
For what you are wanting to do, definitely go with HS Precision model. The pc is a good little rifle for the money, but the HS model is the real deal. I own one and it will shoot with any rifle. I've made minor upgrades to the ejector, trigger, and the cocking mechanisms to make the bolt lift better, but it has shot good from the start. If you get one, skim bedding behind the recoil lug is a good idea.

Last edited:
HS is the best of the two
I had one and I did shoot it to 1,000 yards with a 20 MOA rail
Awesome rifle

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
Blacked out

A full bedding job on an hs precision stock is a waste of time, money and will possibly ruin the stock.
A skim bedding will suffice, it may or may not improve accuracy.

The 10PC is a fine little carbine and very accurate. It is an excellent choice for a hunting or light tactical rifle.

The HS Precision model comes with a heavier barrel and a far superior talk. Out of the box, they tend to shoot far better than a new shooter is capable of.
Buy the HS Precision model, clean it, lubricate it and properly torque the action in the stock. Done.

If it seems to need it, then have it skim bedded AFTER shooting it.

Thanks everyone for your input. I especially appreciate the opinions from those on this site since I know the quality of shooters and depth of knowledge.

fdkay, what is the distinction you are making between full bedding and skim bedding of the action? I think what I was envisioning doing would be considered a skim bedding but would like to be sure. Of course, I do not plan to do any work to the gun before finding out how it shoots out-of-the-box.

Skim bedding will normally help, it is a thin coat of bedding compound over the aluminum v blocks (just enough to make up for irregularities in the action/v block).

Skim bedding will normally help, it is a thin coat of bedding compound over the aluminum v blocks (just enough to make up for irregularities in the action/v block).

So you are saying just a thing layer over the front and rear aluminum bedding blocks rather than over the entire length of the action? Similar to this picture?

Would you also bed the recoil lug or are the tolerances on the aluminum bedding blocks tight enough that it isn't necessary?

IM000899.jpg

Last edited: