• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Precision Model 10 APO .308 to 6.5 CM

Red2Gulf

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2022
Auburn, AL
I have Savage Precision Model 10 with the Ashbury Precision chassis, chambered in .308. I've been tossing around a few upgrades, one being a possible upgrade to 6.5 CM. I was wondering if anyone would have any experience or opinions about doing this. I've been assuming that this could be a simple as a barrel swap? But I question if I'll need a different bolt...High Pressure Bolt???

Yup just buy a barrel

Also a good idea to get a precision ground recoil lug and nut. I used to buy mine from Northland Shooters Supply. Criterion prefit barrel. Many more options available I’m sure now days than several years ago

Then you just need the barrel vise or action wrench, barrel nut wrench and a set of go/no go gauges

My buddies 6.5 had issues with primer flow into the area around the firing pin. Which leads to piercing primers. Even with low pressure loads on SRP Lapua brass and CCI 450 it was bad.

Had the bolt bushed and the problem disappeared completely. So that could be an issue you run into with the 6.5 as well

His was a Savage 10

Reactions: Red2Gulf
I have Savage Precision Model 10 with the Ashbury Precision chassis, chambered in .308. I've been tossing around a few upgrades, one being a possible upgrade to 6.5 CM. I was wondering if anyone would have any experience or opinions about doing this. I've been assuming that this could be a simple as a barrel swap? But I question if I'll need a different bolt...High Pressure Bolt???
How much are you willing to spend and do you know how to work a wrench?

How much are you willing to spend and do you know how to work a wrench?
This rifle has been a "Safe Queen" for the past few years, just looking to refresh it a bit, and get it back on the bench. I'd like to stay under 1k...was looking at a Proof Carbon Fiber 24" barrel ($850). Wrenching skills are not an issue...lol

This rifle has been a "Safe Queen" for the past few years, just looking to refresh it a bit, and get it back on the bench. I'd like to stay under 1k...was looking at a Proof Carbon Fiber 24" barrel ($850). Wrenching skills are not an issue...lol
Do you have a barrel vise and barrel nut wrench? You'll also need a go gage.
Also, have you considered the .260 remington?

Are you a member of expertvoice? Proof is on expertvoice and the discount is not insubstantial.

Why carbon fiber?
Trying to lose weight?

I have the same rifle in .308 and continue to be amazed at how accurate and we’ll built it is. Paid $600 on sale for it. Not the smoothest action but decent and no extractor issues once I put a larger ball in it. Trigger is getting replaced with a Timney I bought.

This is 100/300/600/1792 yards with my 260 Rem with the Criterion 26” from NSS
501299B9-E907-4402-8211-AE554FEA481A.jpeg
EF8D4FB3-F51F-45F5-91C0-8930580B5279.jpeg
F8A7717B-8B62-41C2-95C4-0460A10551FC.jpeg
E9109B68-F699-4647-8812-6C3652678291.jpeg

Do you have a barrel vise and barrel nut wrench? You'll also need a go gage.
Also, have you considered the .260 remington?

Are you a member of expertvoice? Proof is on expertvoice and the discount is not insubstantial.
I have a vice and wrench. I haven't considered .260 Rem...only because I'm not familiar with it, and how it compares to the 6.5CM. Yes, I am a member of expertvoice! I completely forgot about checking them out...Thanks for the reminder!!!

This is 100/300/600/1792 yards with my 260 Rem with the Criterion 26” from NSS
View attachment 7775664View attachment 7775666View attachment 7775667View attachment 7775668
I’ve had half a dozen prefits from NSS and they were all excellent to absolutely amazing.

I have a vice and wrench. I haven't considered .260 Rem...only because I'm not familiar with it, and how it compares to the 6.5CM. Yes, I am a member of expertvoice! I completely forgot about checking them out...Thanks for the reminder!!!
All you need to know about the 260

4EF3757B-28B0-479D-A171-CEC64B2487FB.jpeg

I have the same rifle in .308 and continue to be amazed at how accurate and we’ll built it is. Paid $600 on sale for it. Not the smoothest action but decent and no extractor issues once I put a larger ball in it. Trigger is getting replaced with a Timney I bought.
Which Timney did you decide to go with? Did you make any adjustments on the stock accu-trigger?

Strictly weight...It's a beast, and will always be a bench gun...just looking to lighten it up a little, and still maintain range/accuracy.
Mine’s about 15# unloaded with factory fluted steel barrel, PMII and Accutac BR4 bipod fyi.

Mine’s about 15# unloaded with factory fluted steel barrel, PMII and Accutac BR4 bipod fyi.
About the same here. Great shooter, just would like to get the weight down a little...without breaking the bank too much. @db2000 have you look at replacing the handguard?

If you just want to come down in weight, don't care about energy, and just want the potential for a little better wind at distance while mag feeding, agree on 260 or 260ai. If you want a more significant upgrade on the same bolt face, suggest 284 win or even shehane.

About the same here. Great shooter, just would like to get the weight down a little...without breaking the bank too much. @db2000 have you look at replacing the handguard?
I haven’t. 15# is reasonable to me and frankly, for what I paid, I’m not looking to put more money into it or fuck up its accuracy somehow. I really like the rifle as is. I have a 6.5 PRC Christensen MPR that’s got more carbon fiber than my Beemer M3. If so need to tote a LR rifle around, I’ll just take it.

I haven’t. 15# is reasonable to me and frankly, for what I paid, I’m not looking to put more money into it or fuck up its accuracy somehow. I really like the rifle as is. I have a 6.5 PRC Christensen MPR that’s got more carbon fiber than my Beemer M3. If so need to tote a LR rifle around, I’ll just take it.
This has been sitting in the safe for some time now, right behind several lighter, longer range platforms, which is why it hasn't seen the light of day in awhile. Figured I'd show it some love with a few upgrades...barrel, trigger, handguard, and stock. I acquired this in a "buddy trade" equal to about $800. Like you...it shoots great in the OEM config, and I really don't want to put a shit-ton of coin to it.

This has been sitting in the safe for some time now, right behind several lighter, longer range platforms, which is why it hasn't seen the light of day in awhile. Figured I'd show it some love with a few upgrades...barrel, trigger, handguard, and stock. I acquired this in a "buddy trade" equal to about $800. Like you...it shoots great in the OEM config, and I really don't want to put a shit-ton of coin to it.
I just saw AICS Savage stock sell in the PX for a grand 😳

I second the option of 260 Rem. My 260 is built on a R700 action but it does hammer. Easy to load for as well. 140 eld ms over H4350.

But on to the barrel swap. PVA makes a really nice barrel nut. I used that on my Model 10 223 with a NSS lug. North Land has good barrel nuts and recoil lugs. Be sure to disassemble your bolt (remove the extractor and ejector) when setting head space. Check with go and no go gauges. Also if you have one of the damn slick factory barrel nuts, you might need a pipe wrench or dremel to remove it. Ive done a couple Savage barrel swaps and all factory nuts have been super tight and some needed a little heat and persuasion to remove.

Hawkhill also does prefits of damn fine quality.
Proof is a great option
as is NSS
Lots of options and you can swap if you wish, just be mindful that neck sized brass MIGHT not work unless you get head space right back to were it was.

I tried the Timney trigger back when I wore out my factory accutrigger. I didn't find the Timney to be as good as my factory accutrigger was back in its prime. Any setting below 2lbs of pull on the Timney would sometimes drop the sear when running the bolt hard. I then installed the Jard 3 lever Savage trigger and that did the trick. I got the 3/4lb pull version and was very pleased. I could run the bolt very hard and fast without the sear disengaging like my worn accutrigger. The wider shoe and the relaxed radius vs the accutrigger was a lot more easier on the trigger finger as well.