• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage rebarrel project...

HarryBallz2029

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2012
Houston Texas
So I have been thinking about rebarreling my Savage 10 FCP .308(description in my sig), and going with the Bartlien or Shilen select match barrel in 6.5x47 Lapua or something along those lines. My question to you fellow hide guys that have experience is, What would a comparison look like from a Savage action barreled with a Shilen/Bartlein compared to a custom action of some sort with a with a Shilen/Bartlein barrel. Would there be any real huge differences as far as accuracy? I know custom actions are absolutely top knotch but this more or less a budget build on a gun I have. I just wanna make the gun competitive and I figure I already have a really good base in my Savage. As far as the round goes Im not dead set on the 6.5x47 Lapua but from what I have seen of it is its one nasty round. Pretty much my goal is to make my Savage competition worthy by doing a caliber change and some other tweaks here and there along with the barrel or course. I would like to shoot from the 100yd line to 1000yd. Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated. Thanks guys.

Re: Savage rebarrel project...

What about a 7mm-08 or a .260? With a Savage you don't need a shorter cartridge like Creedmoor or 6.5x47 to fit longer high BC projectiles in the magazine. Creedmoor and 6.5x47 are excellent for magazines limited to a 2.8 COAL but Savage has more room, why leave horsepower on the table? Personally I think a 26'' 7mm-08 with 175 Sierras would be hard to beat "in the wind" out of a short action. The 175gr Matchking has a G7 BC of 0.327, I doubt you will find a higher BC pill that can still fit in a Savage magazine plus they are not real expensive. If you can find one please let me know I'm about to build a gun like yours. Wind bucking ability matters more than drop since gravity is a constant and an easy adjust. BC rules the wind, Just my .02...

Plus 1 for Criterion barrels. I have one on my DPMS .308 silly accurate for the price...

CrawDad338, Bryan Litz quotes the 175 SMK G7 BC as 0.243. A lot of the smaller bullets 105 Berger Hybrid (6mm) and 155.5 Berger FullBore (308) have a more attractive BC than the "old" 175 SMK. I shoot both and each have their purpose.

Please double check your data, 0.243 is the G7 for the .308 175 SMK not the .284 175 SMK, g1 avg is .639

I have a Savage/Shilen 6.5x47 and it an easy 1/2 moa rifle to 500 and it opens up after that but I'm 99.5% sure that that part is me. I'll be able to compare it to the Bighorn/Kreiger that I'm having built. Hopefully get it around the end of Sept.

CrawDad338, please accept my apology. I did give the G7 for the 308 175 SMK. I didn't realize that the .284 caliber was that much better.

Hey guys thanks for the input. So as of now I am looking into criterion barrels and am going to research 2 rounds .260 and 6.5x47 Lapua. Im going to factor in prices of reloading components and ballistics as well as speed, variety of reloading components...etc.

I have a Criterion 260 prefit (1:8 26" varmint contour)...very pleased with it.

Does anyone know if Criterion will do other contours like the M40 or HVY palma? They only had 5 they listed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyHarry2029</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know if Criterion will do other contours like the M40 or HVY palma? They only had 5 they listed.</div></div>

5 contours is pretty good for a pre-fit barrel option, you would have to graduate to a full custom/Kregier barrel to get more particular. The wait would take many months. What barrel contours does your McMillan A5 stock limit you to?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyHarry2029</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know if Criterion will do other contours like the M40 or HVY palma? They only had 5 they listed. </div></div>

The listed contours are all that are offered in prefit barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Criterion 260 prefit (1:8 26" varmint contour)...very pleased with it.</div></div>

What kind of speeds are you seeing out of that 260 barrel? What recipe if you don't mind me asking?

130gr Berger VLD @ 2.94" OAL
43.5gr RL17
Lapua brass
CCI-200
3000fps

130gr Norma Golden Target @ 2.88" OAL
44.4gr H4350
Lapua brass
CCI-200
2940fps

140gr A-Max @ 2.91" OAL
43.1gr H4350
Lapua brass
CCI-200
2840fps

123gr A-Max @ 2.85" OAL
39.3gr Varget
Nosler brass
CCI-200
2930fps (mild load but great accuracy in both my 260s)

I am in the same position as you, I am turning a Winslow/Winchester action into my .308 and am probably going with a Criterion 6.5 Creedmoor barrel for my Savage. The Hornady factory loads are fantastic performers out of 2 different rifles that I have seen and you have useable brass when you are done with the factory loads.

7-08
162grain Hornady BTHP (.610 G1)
47.2g H4350
OAL 2.881
2780FPS
29.5min drop 6.4min full value at 1k field verified

You will need to run the Alpha Mags but I mag feed mine.

Good luck,
Merritt

im running a 25" krieger with 1-10" twistand im loving it. we did away with the barrel nut and fitted like a regular barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrawDad338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyHarry2029</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know if Criterion will do other contours like the M40 or HVY palma? They only had 5 they listed.</div></div>

5 contours is pretty good for a pre-fit barrel option, you would have to graduate to a full custom/Kregier barrel to get more particular. The wait would take many months. What barrel contours does your McMillan A5 stock limit you to? </div></div>
As of the moment the only thing I can tell you is the width of the end of the barrel which is .875ish on a 24" barrel. Looking at the contours listed the barrel comes in a 26" length making the end .815 but when trimmed to 24" it becomes .840 atleast that for the Varmint contour. I dont know that actual name of the contour for my gun all i know is its a Savage 10 FCP-LE McMillan. Here is a link to the model:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/produ...McMillian+Stock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

140gr A-Max @ 2.91" OAL
43.1gr H4350
Lapua brass
CCI-200
2840fps

</div></div>

Did you happen to try RL-17 with the 140 AMax if so how fast? I'm so torn between a .260 and a 7mm-08 build.. I see Lapua makes .260 brass now...pretty cool!

OP I did exactly what you are thinking about doing. I wanted to build an "affordable" rifle capable of good accuracy. So I bought a shilen barrel for my Savage in 6.5x47 and started from there. I've got no complaints with my build yet other than I picked the wrong stock to go with (HS stocks are not worth their price tag).

I can say that after I bed my HS stock I've been sub moa with all of the loads I've put through it. I was getting slightly over moa before I bed my stock due to the rear tang riding so hard in the factory HS aluminum block. I'm still doing load development since I'm trying different powders but it is very promising. PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks savage I am thinking real hard about going through on this right now im looking at possibly finding a safe queen of a R700 SPS or Savage 10/12 something I can get for a great deal/trade locally and building that up. IDK fully what I want yet all I know is after what I keep being told .260 may be the route I go. As far as barrel I would love a Bartlein but I just dont wanna wait till next year before I can use the gun. My savage I have now shoots very well as a .308 and I mean it comes with a factory button rifled barrel. It shoots 3/8" groups consistantly at 100' and it is sub 1/2 moa @ 200' depending on me. I am gonna way my option for a bit then make a move in either direction. Im just ready for a better round.

My recommendation would be either Shilen Select match or CBI prefit for ease and cheap. Both are quite accurate. I have a Bartlein on my LAP match rifle and they are outstanding. Just don't think it is necessary for what you are looking for. If you were doing a custom or remmy build I would recommend Bartlein 110% since it would have to be cut, chambered, etc.

Talk with Jim@ Northland Shooters Supply. He carries both brands and usually in stock. While you are at it get one of his precision ground HD recoil lugs to put on it.

I have a home built savage with the CBI 260 and its a very capable rifle at the distances you mentioned.

I have a 6BR Criterion with the bull contour on a savage target action, very accurate rifle. I sourced all the pieces and put it together myself. I wouldn't think twice about doing it again.

I'm shooting a Bartline on my 280AI and I have about an 8 month wait on a Bartline for my 300wsm. great barrels. But if you don't want to wait for one, Check out Brux barrels. Bugholes on here has some in stock. You can probably get one from Brux in about a week. From what I hear they are winning matches and a lot of folks are real happy with them. I'll probably use one on my next build. The price is right too. although I think there is an increase coming in Feb. Worth a look.