• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing savage receivers

rockybrashear

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
Cincinnati Ohio
can anyone tell me if theres any difference between the barrel diameter of a savage 7mm rem mag and the 300 rem mag i was thinking that since they both use the same casing it might be possible to use my 116 7mm receiver and switch barrels to make it a 300 but i dont know if the 300 will thread in.

Re: savage receivers

Do you mean a 300 Win Mag or a 300 Rem Ultra Mag? If you want to know the barrel shank diameter, look about 1/8" ahead of the barrel nut and see if there's a small step down in diameter. If there is, it's a large (1.120") shank barrel. If not, it's a small (1.055") shank, which IIRC the standard (7mm Rem Mag & 300 Win Mag) magnums were. The factory Ultra Mag SAUM, & WSM barrels were the large shank variety. The Ultra Mag family also uses a different bolt head. Hope this helps.