• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage rifle feeding problems.

Jim_D303

Sergeant
Minuteman
I have a Savage 10FP in .223. It sits in a B&C stock, and I just got it back from having a magazine system installed. I had some feeding problems with it using the supplied Savage internal magazine system with both the factory and B&C stock (hence why it was sent out for a magazine system install).

I just assembled it, and noticed this problem.

IMG_0748.jpg

The bolt stops its rearward travel before it can make it completely behind the rim of the cartridge. It does not even pass the rim of the cartridge before it stops.

Showing rear limit of bolt travel in ejection port.
IMG_0753.jpg

Round position in AICS .223 plastic mag.
IMG_0751.jpg

I believe that this piece here, is too long/ out of spec. I think this is called the front baffle.

IMG_0757.jpg

Has anyone ever seen this? Is this a long action bolt piece that was mistakenly assembled in my bolt at the factory?

Are the dimensions for this supposed to be different? I think this might be why I had feeding problems with the rifle right out of the box...

I have a class I'm planning to attend with this rifle in 6 days, and I need to get this figured out by then. I'm getting really tempted to grind .2" off of the back of that piece shown in the above picture...that'd give the bolt the necessary rear travel to pick up a round.

Any help, suggestions, observations are super appreciated.

Re: Savage rifle feeding problems - help requested.

Can you remove the bolt from the gun since the scope base was installed? If not the scope base rear screw may be portruding down into the bolt raceway blocking its rearward path.

There is two baffles for savage bolts. The 223 bolt has the longer lug on the one side to reduce bolt travel shorter round.
The standard baffle for all other bolts.
The placement of the new mag may be to far back.
The standard baffle will work the lugs are the same as the short side of your bolt.

Before you grind anything, call Savage Monday morning. They are very nice folks and will help you even though you changed the mag feed set up.

My .223 Savage looks to have the same length of lug as yours and it feeds fine,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Training Wheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you remove the bolt from the gun since the scope base was installed? If not the scope base rear screw may be portruding down into the bolt raceway blocking its rearward path. </div></div>

Checked that, the length of the front baffle seems to be the problem.

I am hacking on it now, to get the added length I need, and I have the .308 baffle on order...that should get here the day before I leave for my trip.

I want to get this rifle shooting before I head down to a 3 day class with it, though.

I just wish I knew this part would need to be swapped/shortened prior to ordering this magazine system.

Thank you gents!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Before you grind anything, call Savage Monday morning. They are very nice folks and will help you even though you changed the mag feed set up.</div></div>

I considered that. My trouble is that I have a class to take this rig to that I leave for on Thursday.

I'm chopping some of the tail off of the extended front baffle, to get more bolt travel out of it.

I have this now:
986134.jpg

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=986134

And I have this on order:
128320.jpg

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=128320

I'm cutting the longer one down to be a hybrid in length between the two.

The one without the tail will have an excessively long bolt travel, the stock short action one with the tail does not have enough. I'm going to trim the tail until I get reliable functioning.

Thanks for the help, though!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My .223 Savage looks to have the same length of lug as yours and it feeds fine,</div></div>

Have you measured yours by any chance?

A buddy of mine has the same rifle and his measured closer to .875. I think mine is too long, and caused the original feeding problems I encountered with the rifle out of the box.

If I have to pay for a new part from Savage because I buggered it up, I'm ok with that.

I did and it measures the exact same as yours.

I took a photo too but Photobucket is screwing with me severely tonight...
mad.gif

Savage223Boltbafflestop.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did and it measures the exact same as yours.
</div></div> Huh...are you feeding from the internal OEM magazine system?

The tab you are thinking about is the cocking leaver for the firing pin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tipper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The tab you are thinking about is the cocking leaver for the firing pin.</div></div>

Ah, got it. Thank you!