• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Rifles and Aftermarket Stocks/DBM

Stick42

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2019
FL
A few questions on this one, so please bear with me. I recently picked up a Savage 10PC (The older one with the digital camo type stock) and plan on getting another stock for it. I understand they do not have nearly the aftermarket support the R700 pattern does and I am a bit confused about all the different variations Savage has and what is compatible with them. Mine is the 4.4" spacing with the bottom bolt release. I have noticed that a large majority of the chassis options and stocks are for a top bolt release. Is it a simple job to make a top bolt release compatible with a bottom rifle or is it not possible? Also is CDI the only option I have for a different DBM for the Savage?

I guess what I'm trying to determine is if I should just try and sell this rifle off and grab a Remington AAC/5R, or is there really enough options out there to build this rifle up a bit. If there is I haven't seen many at all second hand. Thanks in advance

I had a MPA chassis for a Savage 10 with bottom bolt release. They mill a slot in the right side of the chassis above the trigger. Use a 1/8 pin or small screwdriver to pull the bolt release rearward. Not that big a deal, but another tool to carry around. Not a lot of options for savage. Kinda the whole Ford vs Chevy thing from my experience.

I just received an oryx chassis today for my 4.4" spacing sa savage. I believe it works on both top and bottom bolt release. Mine is a top release
(stevens brand), but I also have bottom bolt release savage 4.4" in a choate stock that uses factory savage bottom metal. There may not be as many options, but there are quite a few options.

I’ve used PTG bottom bolt release bottom metal in a Choat stock.
It worked rather well.

I’ve also use a element from XLR with bottom bolt release.
it also worked well.

Last edited:
Savage shooters forum is a good resource. There are a a lot of options. Most companies make a savage short action option.

I would get a chassis. MDT, XLR, MPA and Oryx are the ones I would look at. These Chassis' have a slot cut in the side so you can use a small tool of your choosing to activate the bottom release. I have a Savage 110 Hunter and I plan to put it in a Chassis. This will be a budget build I am looking at the Oryx Chassis $399, NSS Barrel Nut & Recoil Lug $65, Criterion prefit barrel heavy sporter threaded muzzle $375, Beast Brake $120 and Timney trigger $150.

Gotta give a shout out to @POI_Shift for reaching out and hooking me up with a nice chassis for a killer price. I don't post too often on here, but when I have it's always been positive, great community.

I’ve used PTG bottom bolt release bottom metal in a Choat stock.
It worked rather well.

Did you have to inlet the Choate stock to fit the PTG bottom metal or did it fit within the stock Savage inlet?