• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

savage rifles, specifically the 11/111 and XLR

scatterbrains

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2011
Ok so ive been doing some digging and have decided to do a XLR chassised rifle in 243 win.

Was initially going to go with a remington 700, but ive been turned onto savage rifles i love the idea of user replaceable barrels.

I looked through XLRs website and see they inlet for the savage 4.410" actions.

I am looking at this savage:11/111 Hunter XP in 243, savages site kinda sucks for real information.

I am pretty sure the 11 series is a 4.4" action OR is it just a long action, is this correct?

Ive searched the site and havent found many 11 builds but lots of 10 model builds. From my understanding, the 10 and 11 use the same barrels and other parts minus the receiver and bolt.

I plan to swap the barrel eventually to a heavier profile but id like to be able to set it up with all the money parts first. then shoot it for awhile before i do a barrel swap.

Not going to lie i am thoroughly confused with the savage rifles just seems like they have done a million changes and dont really make the specs known on their site.

Thank you for any help.

Re: savage rifles, specifically the 11/111 and XLR

10,11,12,16 are short action , 110,111,112,116 are long action. Most savages ordered today will be 4.4" centerfeed. The only exception is if a wholesaler has some old stock, not likely. If this will be a complete build i recommend a stevens 200. This is a sa length; junk the barrel, stock,recoil lug, and trigger. Talk to Jim Briggs at NSS, he sometimes has stripped actions and can get u what exact action u need. He also carries shilen and criterion prefits along with oversized lugs, RB triggers, and trued barrel nuts. He is a wealth of savage info.

The stevens 200 rifles are a savage SA?

Thank you for the rundown, what is NSS?

Northland shooter supply, his contact info and somewhat current barrel inventory is on savageshooters.com

Excellent thank you sir

I love my new mod 11 in .223!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6brshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.... he sometimes has stripped actions and can get u what exact action u need. He also carries shilen and criterion prefits along with <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">oversized lugs,</span></span> RB triggers, and trued barrel nuts. He is a wealth of savage info. </div></div>

I realize this is generic info about NSS but to the OP ... I would be cautious about using anything that isn't exact factory sized without talking to Kyle at XLR, the chassis inlet may not play nice with something like an oversize lug

I don't believe it is much thicker then stock, it is most importantly trued. I suspect xlr's are generous in this spec but better to make sure. I will measure my nss lug when i get home. On a side note Kyle is always easy to get ahold of or calls back quick if u leave a message. Patiently waiting for my tikka xlr.