• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage rifles, why not?

Big Bo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2005
Cal West
Why all the bad/negative talk about Savage rifles?
What is the problem with the gun?
I read they shoot damn good.

Re: Savage rifles, why not?

They shoot really well for their price point. Not as smooth or nice as a good remington, but you get what you pay for.

Ive got both and the savage was cheaper and shoots better but its not as nice IMO.

We need a rifle manufactures sticky thread. All benefits and drawbacks of each. No customs. Just factory. No bull shit. Just honest info.

I have one and i really like it. Everyone I talked to has said they are the most accurate rifle for the money.

watched a out of the box 243 shoot out to 600 yds yesterday with a bushnell scope. tried to stretch it out to 1000 but the scope didnt have target turrents on it and couldnt get the elevation right on it.. my son has a 223 savage that shoots well at 600 yrds.

There is NO hate for Savage where I am concerned... period!! By far the most accurate rifles that I have ever owned or shot. I had less money in my entire setup with my Savage, as I had in just the rifle alone with my FN-SPR.

My Savage would flat outshoot the FN, any day of the week, and almost any ammunition that you could put through it. Savage Arms all the way for me. To me, there are FREE rifles, and then there is Savage.

DK

in my experience, Savages are not cheaper then remington, when you compare apples to apples, and apples to apples, the Savage will have better fit, finish, and accuracy out of the box. Savage also offeres more options in stocks, calibers, faster twists in said calibers, etc, etc...

Savage gets my $$$

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend someone buy a Savage. My 10FP has over 5000 rounds through it, most of which were max loads, and it still just flat shoots lights out.

I'll just mirror what everyone else is saying, Savage is one of the most accurate if not the most accurate factory rifle out there, it takes a custom to beat a savage and even then you need to spend a lot of money on that custom to be a better shooter than a savage.

Now, one gripe I do have with savages are the really cheap tupperware stocks the pre-accutrigger rifles had, flimsy and just plain cheap, but if you're looking to customize the rifle, this is not a problem. In fact, if it wasn't for the cheap stock, I wouldn't have gotten into customizing rifles, so I actually might have to thank savage on that one
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Bo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why all the bad/negative talk about Savage rifles?
I read they shoot damn good. </div></div>

What usually happens in these type of discussions is that someone points out some deficiencies in the design (ALL RIFLES HAVE SOME) and then someone gets all butthurt because it's their bestest rifle in the whole world and they are emotionally attached to it. It all goes downhill from there.

I try not to apply blanket statements to firearms manufacturers. Generally each rifle manufacturer has a budget line and a premium line. Pick the model you are interested in and ask specific questions and you can avoid most of the issues.

A question like "why do rem/savage suck?" just invites problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Bo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why all the bad/negative talk about Savage rifles?
I read they shoot damn good. </div></div>

What usually happens in these type of discussions is that someone points out some deficiencies in the design (ALL RIFLES HAVE SOME) and then someone gets all butthurt because it's their bestest rifle in the whole world and they are emotionally attached to it. It all goes downhill from there.

I try not to apply blanket statements to firearms manufacturers. Generally each rifle manufacturer has a budget line and a premium line. Pick the model you are interested in and ask specific questions and you can avoid most of the issues.

A question like "why do rem/savage suck?" just invites problems.

</div></div>

I'm actually impressed at how civil this discussion has been. Not as much trash talking as I thought. I'm also not afraid of pointing out the shortcomings of savage rifles, I love savages, but I also know they have their problems, the main one to me being the stock.

I have 1 Remmy and 2 Savages. The Savages shoot great, but they both have aftermarket prefit barrels and aftermarket stocks on them. I like the floating bolthead, and that I can do all the smithing on them myself. But my Remington's action is butter smooth whereas the Savages not so much. I'm going with the best of both worlds on my current build with a Bighorn action.

I will agree my 10fp bolt isn't "butter" smooth but why does that matter? Grab it with some authority and it works just fine.

I only have one Remmington. It is one of there .22's I disliked it so much that it just kind of turned me off to there rifles.

i do have a Tikka t3 tactical in .308 it took about 300 rounds before it started shooting consistant groups I have only shot federal 168 smk out of it now it shoots groups of .80" or less all day long. it has no modifications and an inexpensive $400 scope in it.

Picture005.jpg

I dont have a pick of my new savage 110 FCP-K but rite out of the box is shot consistant .80" or less groups using the same ammo as the tikka. i am assuming that that the grouping will tighten up after a few hundred rounds. my tikka was roughly twice the cost i will admit that the action and stock are much nicer but preformance i would have to say savage..

Just finished our first Savage 260 and I couldn't be happier. Am starting to gather parts to build another just like it so me and son will both have one. If it continues to shoot like it's been doing in practice and load development it'll surprise a lot of the custom rifle shooters at the matches.

I think the LRP is a great out of the box gun to start with and jump right into the 1000 yard plate matches. We went with a Model 11 action, Shilen Select match barrel and HSPrecision stock but otherwise is pretty much stock.

Topstrap

Ford v. Chevy, BMW v. Mercedes, Coke v. Pepsi, Yankees v. RedSox, Cowboys v. Redskins, etc.

Pays yous money and make yous bets.

I have two Savage centerfires in my safe, one Savage rimfire, and one Savage 110 action for a future build. I also have one Remington 700.

The 700 is my primary deer rifle (Mountain LSS in .260 Rem) but my Savages get used MUCH, much more.

I've got a long-action 700 at my father's house that I'm thinking of throwing a Rem-Age kit on just to piss everybody off...

BoilerUP said:
Ford v. Chevy (NEITHER :O), BMW v. Mercedes (BMW), Coke v. Pepsi (PEPSI), Yankees v. RedSox (DONT CARE), Cowboys v. Redskins (COWBOYS).

We really should break these things down into price ranges of stock rifles.
A Remington that costs $700 new is typically not going to shoot as well as a savage at that price point.
When you go up to $2000 you are going to get a lot less difference performance wise between the rifles and the differences begin to come down to options and accessories.

I think a lot of the negative comments come from the fact that a lot of guys claim there $700 savage as a 1/2 MOA gun and the guys that spent far more for an actual 1/2 MOA gun get pissed. I have seen sub 1/2" groups from an out of the box savage but I have never seen a 1/2 MOA $700 savage. Just my 2 pennies

i love my savage rifles. Nothing negative to say

Their accutrigger sent the whole industry looking for better triggers. Their accuracy out of the box is second to nobody anywhere close to their price point.

Their pre accustock stocks are terrible. Even shameful. I know nothing about accustocks. They lend themselves to the do it youselfer so mods are cheaper cause you can do them.

i love my savage 260 and do very well with it but it is far from out of the box, it is a full custom as the only thing original is the action and trigger but it is dead nuts accurate

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin4590</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think a lot of the negative comments come from the fact that a lot of guys claim there $700 savage as a 1/2 MOA gun and the guys that spent far more for an actual 1/2 MOA gun get pissed. I have seen sub 1/2" groups from an out of the box savage but I have never seen a 1/2 MOA $700 savage. Just my 2 pennies </div></div>

I see lots of 1/2 MOA guns on the internet. Not so much at real ranges.....or competitions that require you to put your money on the line.

Most of it is just folks rooting for their favorite team. Doesn't matter what the truth of the matter is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin4590</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think a lot of the negative comments come from the fact that a lot of guys claim there $700 savage as a 1/2 MOA gun and the guys that spent far more for an actual 1/2 MOA gun get pissed. I have seen sub 1/2" groups from an out of the box savage but I have never seen a 1/2 MOA $700 savage. Just my 2 pennies </div></div>

I see lots of 1/2 MOA guns on the internet. Not so much at real ranges.....or competitions that require you to put your money on the line.

Most of it is just folks rooting for their favorite team. Doesn't matter what the truth of the matter is. </div></div>
yep, everyone has one till the money comes out

I have a 10 fcp McMillan that I have had good success with. I did have to make adjustments on the mag and install windage adjustable rings for the scope. I purchased a 17hmr for my wife and had to make adjustments on that guns mag so it would hold the shells too. For the price I am happy. Have made some really good groups with the 10 fcp.

Here is a 10-shot 600 yard group on a 500 yard target. 10 ring is 5", X ring is 2.5". There are two shots stacked at 7 o'clock. Rifle is my Savage 10FP, had about 4000 rounds through when this was taken, shoots at least as nice now with 5000+. It's bedded in a Bell/Carlson Medalist. Load is 45.5 Varget, 175smk. It's a good rifle - worth every penny, and then some.

100-6X.jpg

Here is a picture of my Predator 243. I had the barrel chopped and threaded, and added a RWS brake to it. This rifle is super sweet to shoot, and accurate as can be. My girlfriend wants it for herself, but I am gonna have to build a lighter rig for her since she is going to be hunting with me this year.

I haven't done much to it to change anything from the factory. I always modify the Accutrigger springs, skim bed the stock (even though it is still a tupperware), and add my RatMag to round out the setup. I am currently waiting on my Manners MCS-T in Desert Sage, and it will be complete for the moment. Eventually, I will be adding a suppressor to the mix, but that is a ways away yet.

I absolutely love Savages, and I am now in love with the 243!!

DK

IMAG0154a.jpg

I have a Savage and love it. They shoot very well. I did not like the accu trigger though and that was one of the fisrt things for me to get rid of. My only major complaint against a savage is the lack of aftermarket parts primaraly in the DBM market. This alone will probably cause my next purchase to be either a rem 700 or a custom action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: luvtoclimb1976</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Savage and love it. They shoot very well. I did not like the accu trigger though and that was one of the fisrt things for me to get rid of. My only major complaint against a savage is the lack of aftermarket parts primaraly in the DBM market. This alone will probably cause my next purchase to be either a rem 700 or a custom action. </div></div>

Can you elaborate on the lack of aftermarket parts? There's at least 4 makers that I know of that make bottom metals for savage rifles that accept AICS magazines: CDI, Kevin Rayhill at Stockade, Accurate Mag, and VBull.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: luvtoclimb1976</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My only major complaint against a savage is the lack of aftermarket parts primaraly in the DBM market. This alone will probably cause my next purchase to be either a rem 700 or a custom action. </div></div>

I build a 10 round and 15 round magazine that goes with your factory bottom metal. Nothing else to buy, nothing to change out. Cost effective, and 100% guaranteed.

DK

I shoot savage and they do shoot damn good for the money. however they do have some draw backs but so does every rifle. The biggest one for me is the primary extraction is not part of the bolt but the cheesy baffle that rides in front of the bolt handle. It works ok but work the bolt and see how much it actually cams for you.. It can be made better but not by most home enthusiast . that said I still own 6 savage rifles.

You're right about the problem with the primary extraction, I've had times where the bullets pops and just barely makes it out of the extraction port, its inconsistent, but I haven't had any casings not eject fully out of the rifle, so I guess I cant complain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're right about the problem with the primary extraction, I've had times where the bullets pops and just barely makes it out of the extraction port, its inconsistent, but I haven't had any casings not eject fully out of the rifle, so I guess I cant complain.</div></div>

i get that in my 223 LRPV, my 260 is perfect..

For almost as long as I have been posting at this site, I have been a fan of Savage rifles. I also have Rems, Wins, and Rugers, as well service rifles, foreign and domestic.

I have only one custom C/F rifle, which started out as a factory Savage .10FP 260 in 2002, was upgraded with McM stock, L-W 28" barrel, various smaller bells and whistles, and is currently udergong a barrel replacement for .30BR since I mo longer shoot with any regularity beyond 250yd (and some will say without any ability at 250yd, but that's another tale...).

I have not been an advocate of 'rifle chic'. My rifles are impliements, not artworks. For such needs, the everyday Savage suffices nicely. To my mind, they have a simpler 'form follows function' elegance to them.

Greg

I have one Savage, a Mod. 10PC in .308. Bought it on a whim. Probably the most accurate stock rifle I own. I like the Accu-Stock, but not to crazy about the Accu-Trigger. That will be replaced shortly. But overall, I like the rifle and does what I need it to do, for a lot less money than a custom.

I was on a cal-gun site and a guy asked about a rifle for hunting and distane shooting. He mentioned a Savage 10 f and some "expert" shooter told him to forget about savage! I called him a hater and his possey came after me, guns a blazing! They proceded to bash my shooting and Savage rifles! I could not understand the reasoning other then Savage could not hold up next to their custom Remmmy rigs!

Another big thing nice about Savage rifles is that if you want to change calibers or barrels, no gun smith needed. Its easy and takes almost no time at all. Their design is just really nice. Also has anyone mentioned that they are really accurate straight out of the box?

I like them because pretty much anyone can work on them and they are a little more budget friendly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: luvtoclimb1976</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Savage and love it. They shoot very well. I did not like the accu trigger though and that was one of the fisrt things for me to get rid of. My only major complaint against a savage is the lack of aftermarket parts primaraly in the DBM market. This alone will probably cause my next purchase to be either a rem 700 or a custom action. </div></div>

Can you elaborate on the lack of aftermarket parts? There's at least 4 makers that I know of that make bottom metals for savage rifles that accept AICS magazines: CDI, Kevin Rayhill at Stockade, Accurate Mag, and VBull.</div></div>

And also ACME from SSS.

I just dont understand why there is so much banter back and forth. It is a provable fact that some rifles (Remington,Savge,Tikka, and so on) out of the box are MOA or better and some are not. As far as the money coming out come on seriously? if any one is here at my local range ill pull a $100 bill out and put it on the table that my savage can shoot MOA. I see these bets of $10k and all this other stuff seriously. The gun is only part of the equasion. The bet should realy be is the shooter capable of shooting sub MOA even with the best rifle.

In "MANY"! cases it is the person making the rifle look bad not the other way around and a bet like that is a bet on the shooters capability more than it is on the rifle

What bad talk about Savage rifles?
What are the problems with the gun?
Who says they don't shoot good?

In answering the questions, with questions just compare stock rifles to stock rifle and customs to customs and check their performance.

BC

Three reasons I own,reccommend and build/customize Savage rifles.
#1-100% American made
#2-Savage built the first left handed(production) bolt action rifle in 1958.The same price as a righty rifle.That alone made this southpaw very happy when I was able to buy rifles with my own hard earned money.
#3-They've worked when I needed them.
Savage listened to shooters requests and has semi custom factory available calibers + stock options not offered by any other manufacturer.Hell,if you pay enough money,you can go to their factory and build a rifle to your specs.
Excellent Accuracy is just the iceing on the cake.