• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage SA or LA for 260 rem 600-1000yd rifle?

RodneyDowns

Sergeant
Minuteman
I was about to order the parts to build a rifle for shooting at this 100/ 600/ 1000yd shootout http://www.utahtactical.org/ . and other local competitions. I have been a varmint hunter for 20 years but tactical shooting is a new sport for me.
I had decided on a 260 Rem wiht a 28" bull barrel but havent figured out which action would be best. Short action or Long action. It needs to have a DBM because at least one of the local comps requires a mag change during the shootout. The question is whether ot not the short action will allow me to seat my bullets out close to the lands withing a few .0001 and still feed in the magazine OR do I NEED to have a long action?

Also, IF I get a long action will it feed smaller bullets (85-90gr)/ shorter rounds reliably?

I also need to figure out a decent stock for tactical shoots with a 28" Bull barel (1" I believe)

Any advice is appreciated.

Re: Savage SA or LA for 260 rem 600-1000yd rifle?

build it on a SA... and I'd look at the barrel length again... 28" is long for a tac gun... think 22-24"

The short action gets my vote. I would have to agree with the 22 to 24 inch barrel length. Another thought is to get the savage centerfeed with DBM its just a little longer than most mags for chasing the lands with the 260. Darkeagle customs makes a nice 10 rnd mag for it and it works and looks great. Good luck.

so you two dont think there would be a problem with setting the bullets a few .0001 off the landand still being able to feed smoothly from a DBM? I would hate to spend the money on a SA to find once its all built that I cant load my bullets out for best accuracy due to a short magazine. I'm really hoping it will work thought since I prefer a short action.

DBM IS what I was looking at getting. I was looking at an aftermarket DBM also but didnt know about Darkeagle. I'll check them out also . Thanks agr490 for the tip.

You dont think that the 28" barrel would have an advantage over the 22-24" barrels at 1000 yrds? Once you start getting out there evry little bit of speed counts. And Its not like Im going to be running an obstacle course with it. (Thats what my AR 15 SPR is for}.
smile.gif
Many of the guys I'll be shooting against willbe shooting 28" or even longer barrels. Some even shoot their BR rifles.

I have a 260 on a savage short dbm action and can seat berger vlds into the lands and still have .060 room and feed well.My barrel is 26" i get 3000 fps with 130 vlds and 2850 with 142 smks with good accuracy and brass life.Best accuracy in my rifle with the vlds was .040 short of the lands ymmv.

Okay, I typed out a long reply with some options I thought you might want to consider.
Then I had an Epiphany. I remembered that Savage has introduced new rifles in both .260 and 6.5 creedmore.
Low and behold, they offer a model 12 precision in an HS Precision stock with the target accutrigger.

It is offered in .243, 6.5 creedmore and .260 remington.

It has a 26" barrel, a little longish, but very usable.

This, basically, is EXACTLY what you are looking for, right out of the box.
Personally, I would probably go for the 6.5 CM since there is factory match ammo available for a very reasonable price and the recipe for that load is printed right on the side of the box.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rocca</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so you two dont think there would be a problem with setting the bullets a few .0001 off the landand still being able to feed smoothly from a DBM? I would hate to spend the money on a SA to find once its all built that I cant load my bullets out for best accuracy due to a short magazine. I'm really hoping it will work thought since I prefer a short action.
</div></div>
i just finished up my 260 build, i've got the manners mini chassis and DBM, i'm still in load development but i can seat my bullet into the lands on my 700 SA, and have no issues with the rounds fitting into the mag.

fdkay- I looked at the Savage LRP. I can egt one for right around 900.00 new I believe. From the same dealer I was planning on getting the Action, a 28" Bull barrel with no fluting (like the LRP has) the lighter spring for the accutrigger which lets you take it down to 1.5-2lbs (for $10.00)An upgraded machined Lug to the factory Savage Lugs for a total of 664.00 That leaves me a couple hundred+ left over to find the exact stock I want. I like the HS presicion but I know there are others out there I like better. anAnd that better than buying the LRP and replacing the stock with something more adjustable.

wyobill & skinney- Thanks, that helps a lot.

Just a little more info to put your mind at ease with the seating length. The ai mags will let you seat out to about 2.96 or so with the front plate taken out. The savage mag and the one from darkeagke lets you go to 3.02 and feeds. I checked it with a 308 but don't think you would have any problems with the 260. Keep us posted on what ya get ..pics are a must also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage offers a model 12 precision in an HS Precision stock with the target accutrigger.

It is offered in .243, 6.5 creedmore and .260 remington.

It has a 26" barrel, a little longish, but very usable.

This, basically, is EXACTLY what you are looking for, right out of the box. Personally, I would probably go for the 6.5 CM since there is factory match ammo available for a very reasonable price and the recipe for that load is printed right on the side of the box. </div></div>
+1 on the above. There are other good Savages, while the 12LRP seems purpose built to be exactly what you seek. Do you want to take time to play around building or get shooting a great gun? The more you shoot with it before those competitions the better you will do. Looking back you will be happy if you go with a thick barreled Savage. Here is a link to its picture in 3600 x 709 huge size:

Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision Picture (mouse to rifle click when get + sign)

Shop around with local major retailers who have volume with Savage who you want to do business with. See if you can special order new at a good price. That way you would have some sort of 'factory' accuracy guarantee built in and could work with them if have any issues to move forward most quickly. Do you want to score good or take extra time to build something? If build the rifle will never have as much resale value. Shooting is a hobby. People often change caliber and main personal activities over time even when have the best intentions to do it forever going in - so it is best to have something you can sell off for the most return if ever feel the desire to do something else.

An out-of-the box 10 FCP HS Precision is a very accurate rifle with a better than Remington twist in 308. Can afford to shoot more often than either the 260 rem or 6.5 CM - when cost to shoot can be a factor. While many say the 6.5CM is best for targets out at 1000m if money is no object. Get good optics as out past 500m is where the inexpensive stuff you may find doesn't work as well. Do not have experience with the exact gun being discussed while seems the 12LRP would be a rifle for you to think long and hard about based on your OP.

agr490- Thanks again that does put my mind at ease. SA it is ! glad thats finally out of the way.

Oregon- Point taken.

But there is another issue that I didnt mention here because it had nothing to do with my original question..$$$$ on hand. I just sold my 788 in .222 cal for 650.00 so thats roughly my current budget at this moment. So, if I did decide to go with the LPP I would still be waiting until I saved up a few hundred more $$ before ordering it. I wouldnt be able to get into shooting it all that much quicker.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rocca</div><div class="ubbcode-body">650.00 so thats roughly my current budget at this moment. So, if I did decide to go with the LPP I would still be waiting until I saved up a few hundred more $$ before ordering it.</div></div>
That helps us give you the best advice we can. On a that budget possibly consider a .308 check out the thread and specifically Greg's post at:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...733#Post2518607

Consider the 12FV in non-stainless to save further cash. The 308 is hard to beat in performance and price. With a 1 in 10 barrel twist you can throw heavier .308 bullets out to 1000m better than some others. You could sell it if your skills ever grow beyond the rifle.

Do some searches here and your time will be rewarded. Welcome to the Hide!

Thanks but 308 isnt even an option for me. 260 has much better balistics and I dont mind that it will take me a bit to build it. I just cant purchase the whole thing right now.
smile.gif

And tahnks for the welcome.
smile.gif

The original question for this post has been answered sufficiently I believe. Short Action it is. now on to the next post " Part 2 - options to build my 260 rem 1000 yd rifle."

I'll quote some of your posts above that pertain to the subject there. Thanks again everyone....moving on.