• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Savage scope question

ANGLICOMarine

Retired Marine
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
Model 12 F-Class 6 BR. My dad installed a Bench Source 0 MOA Picatiny scope mount, Kelby wide standard height rings holding a Nightforce Benchrest 12-42x-56 scope. He zeroed it at 100 yards and the scope elevation showed 36 MOA. This weekend we shot a 600 yard match, but could not add enough elevation to get out to 600 yards. Good thing he had a backup scope for him to use...

Neither of us are new shooters...just wondering if we are missing something obvious. As mentioned above he has a 0 MOA rail and the rings are the same height.

I can't imagine a 20 MOA rail would make that much of a difference until you get out to extended ranges.

Please advise...

Re: Savage scope question

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ANGLICO Marine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Model 12 F-Class 6 BR. My dad installed a Bench Source 0 MOA Picatiny scope mount, Kelby wide standard height rings holding a Nightforce Benchrest 12-42x-56 scope. He zeroed it at 100 yards and the scope elevation showed 36 MOA. This weekend we shot a 600 yard match, but could not add enough elevation to get out to 600 yards. Good thing he had a backup scope for him to use...

Neither of us are new shooters...just wondering if we are missing something obvious. As mentioned above he has a 0 MOA rail and the rings are the same height.

I can't imagine a 20 MOA rail would make that much of a difference until you get out to extended ranges.

Please advise... </div></div>

a 20moa rail would defintally get you further, but it sounds like somthing else is off

I agree with vette, the 20moa rail in conjunction with the NF should definitely get you that far. Sounds like theres something wrong with the NF, you should contact them and try to send it in for repair/replacement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with vette, the 20moa rail in conjunction with the NF should definitely get you that far. Sounds like theres something wrong with the NF, you should contact them and try to send it in for repair/replacement. </div></div>

...yeah, that's what we were thinking...hoping it wasn't the case, but that's what we thought...

Their website says 40. Your zeroed at 36 so that only gives 4 moa elevation. Googled some load data 105 Berger VLD at 2950fps and put it in the calculator and it says 71inches of drop or 11.4MOA.

You need a canted base.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OBXLongRange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Their website says 40. Your zeroed at 36 so that only gives 4 moa elevation. Googled some load data 105 Berger VLD at 2950fps and put it in the calculator and it says 71inches of drop or 11.4MOA.

You need a canted base. </div></div>

Thank you for your help OBX!