• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Short Action Small Shank 300 WSM successes or failures- Any tips welcomed

bluejay75

PX Ranger
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2021
North Carolina
Greetings Gentlemen,

Before I start off on a quest that might end up not yielding the best results...I would like to come to the SH for any successes or failures that you have had in this build. I have some good components and 4-600 to throw at this project.

Any tips welcome. From Barrels? PTG Mag Short action Bolt Face?, How did yours perform?

JB

4-600?
Dollars?
That won't get you very far.
It will get you a Criterion barrel and a basic set of dies. Not too much else.

4-600?
Dollars?
That won't get you very far.
It will get you a Criterion barrel and a basic set of dies. Not too much else.
I should have been more specific. I have the rifle already set up in 308. In an HS Precision stock, Good scope, Good Bipod and Timney Trigger.

Im wanting to hear about the PTG Bolt Head, Barrel, Recoil Lug, Barrel Nut ETC.

And if the Action can handle it.

Thanks for making me state those details.

PTG Short action Magnum bolt head is GTG.
Any quality barrel is going to run you $500 +, depending on your specs.
These guys spin a great barrel and have the recoil lug + barrel nut too.
CRBW

Reactions: bluejay75
PTG Short action Magnum bolt head is GTG.
Any quality barrel is going to run you $500 +, depending on your specs.
These guys spin a great barrel and have the recoil lug + barrel nut too.
CRBW
Thanks for that. I am a fan of the Sendero barrel profile. Prices are pretty good too.

Did this project. Here is my take. I had to buy a new firing pin for the new bolt head as I had an older model Savage 10 I did this with. Had a large pin. PTG uses small pin if I have my details straight. I bought a new ground recoil lug and nut as well. I ordered my barrel from Shilen. Got a 24" Select Match Barrel. Takes time because they air gauge them so they have to wait on something that gauges correctly. Barrel does 1/2"-3/4" MOA with several factory loads. Feeding is not the greatest I feel. I even took the time to try and polish the ramp. Mine sits in an Oryx chassis. I'll post pics if I have any on my phone. Otherwise it will have to wait till most likely this weekend.

Worst best idea and project I have ever done. Only did it because I had the action already with a barrel that didn't shoot well. Money I spent could have gone better towards a custom action. Spent A LOT of time polishing everything and working things in with valve grinding compound and cratex tips so it felt more custom and less Savage. (If you do decide to go this route, remember to take your time, go slow, not something you rush. Plenty of info on how to lap bolt lugs, polish feed ramps, etc.) Got a longer bolt handle with knob, tracked down a bolt lift kit, messed with the firing pin spring tension, checked firing pin protrusion. With rifle properly greased and lubed, she is between a Christensen and a Curtis as far as ease of bolt lift and smoothness.

Would I do it again. Honestly, no idea. I did learn a lot though. I also really love the rifle, but that could be sunk cost fallacy. At the end of the day, no matter what you do to it, it's still a Savage. It's mine though, and she hammers.

Did this project. Here is my take. I had to buy a new firing pin for the new bolt head as I had an older model Savage 10 I did this with. Had a large pin. PTG uses small pin if I have my details straight. I bought a new ground recoil lug and nut as well. I ordered my barrel from Shilen. Got a 24" Select Match Barrel. Takes time because they air gauge them so they have to wait on something that gauges correctly. Barrel does 1/2"-3/4" MOA with several factory loads. Feeding is not the greatest I feel. I even took the time to try and polish the ramp. Mine sits in an Oryx chassis. I'll post pics if I have any on my phone. Otherwise it will have to wait till most likely this weekend.

Worst best idea and project I have ever done. Only did it because I had the action already with a barrel that didn't shoot well. Money I spent could have gone better towards a custom action. Spent A LOT of time polishing everything and working things in with valve grinding compound and cratex tips so it felt more custom and less Savage. (If you do decide to go this route, remember to take your time, go slow, not something you rush. Plenty of info on how to lap bolt lugs, polish feed ramps, etc.) Got a longer bolt handle with knob, tracked down a bolt lift kit, messed with the firing pin spring tension, checked firing pin protrusion. With rifle properly greased and lubed, she is between a Christensen and a Curtis as far as ease of bolt lift and smoothness.

Would I do it again. Honestly, no idea. I did learn a lot though. I also really love the rifle, but that could be sunk cost fallacy. At the end of the day, no matter what you do to it, it's still a Savage. It's mine though, and she hammers.
Regardless of the make and cost, you should be proud of the rifle that you built, as it's one of a kind.
Anyone can buy a rifle.

SJC

Donor rifle. Did a check. Small firing pin hole. Already has a precision ground barrel nut and recoil lug.

Since I get to pick a twist and know I’m going to run 200 SGK or 200 ELDX, should I consider a 9 or 8 twist?

Suggestion on barrel length and contour.
I’m thinking Sendero at 22 or 23 inches.

Attachments

• IMG_2177.jpeg
    IMG_2177.jpeg
    625.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I went 1:10 at 24". I think I just looked around on the internet to see what most people were doing. Don't think you could go wrong with a 1:9 22". If I remember my Shilen barrel puts Hornady Precision Hunter 200gn ELD-X at or below 3/4" MOA. I think the Hornady Outfitter 180gn GMX was 1/2" MOA. Shot a few boxes of Hornady Whitetail 165gn stuff first to break it in and get it on paper and it was I know for sure sub MOA.

A quick google, someone asked the same thing on this forum back in 2020 and Frank chimed in with...
A 10 twist will be fine for the bullets you are talking about.

If you went heavier on the bullet weight....then I'd be getting a faster twist.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
And that person was looking at the 212 ELD-X or 215 Berger's.

Reactions: bluejay75
This is a WINNER! Thanks loveha for the help. Absolutely zero issues with function. Rifle is more accurate than me for sure.

Crown barrel works did the barrel. Its working out great as well.

Now...if someone could get me a lead on some brass that would be awesome!

Attachments

• IMG_3115.jpg
    IMG_3115.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3116.jpg
    IMG_3116.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 16