• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Stealth in 338 Lapua - First impressions

CBryars2

Minuteman
Feb 22, 2017
Savage Stealth in 338 Lapua - First impressions - 11/03/2016
Reposting from old Snipers Hide for discussion.

Original Post

CBryars2
Call me crazy - but I took the plunge and picked up the 338 Lapua Savage Stealth. Like the 300 WM it is a considerably different from my Stealth 6.5 on several points evident after a complete once over. Cleaned and lubed with following first impressions:

1. Ran ammo through chamber, with no feed issues.
2. Accurate Mag - no MDT Mag so no issues like those seen on 6.5.
3. Fit and finish was excellent.
4. One piece mono-chassis, balance is a little front heavy with empty mag.
5. One piece rail that has 2 levels for night vision.
6. 11.5 pounds, so a little heavier that the 300 WM.
7. Same stock. going to try it out more and if no go going to try a Luth MBA3 to retain collapsing stock.
8. Threaded 5/8-24 with installed muzzle break, same as my Stealth 300 WM - works very well.

Mounted rail for bipod.

Tubbs Final to Finish for break-in.

If this shoots as well as it looks to be made, it will be a winner. Will be selling my Savage 110 FCP.

So for bolt action completely switched to Savage Stealths.

CBryars2
Question received "So what is your impression of the FAB DEFENSE GL stock, ie, how much does it really contribute to recoil reduction.? I realize this is a very subjective question and will depend quite a bit on your sensitivity to recoil but I am curious.....
Any insight on accuracy so far (# of rounds so far, ammo type, etc). Thanks!"
Fursniper -
On rounds fired - 3 Lapua as initial test, sight scope in so not accuracy to judge. 20 rounds 250 Final finish #1 & #2. Since these are break in rounds was not really trying to concentrate.< 2 MOA looking at targets. What I found on Stealth 6.5 is starting with Final Finish #1 was about 2 moa, by Final Finish #5 < 1 moa. Last 200 yd test .2 moa 3 rounds and .5 moa 5 shot. So accuracy now seems irrelevant.

CBryars2
On GL shock - I have the 110 FCP in 338 Lapua, so Steath is almost identical in muzzle break and barrel. Subjective as you said, but felt recoil was more like a 308 or even better, so significant. The stock made felt recoil less than 110 FCP, by how much - guessing 25%.
Hope that helps. So far rifle has been flawless. It has a tight chamber, but shoots Lapua 2.84 to Olgive and Hornady 285 at 2.95ish it is tight but shoots fine.

"On GL shock - I have the 110 FCP in 338 Lapua, so Steath is almost identical in muzzle break and barrel. Subjective as you said, but felt recoil was more like a 308 or even better, so significant. The stock made felt recoil less than 110 FCP, by how much - guessing 25%."

"Interesting. I have limited personal experience with muzzle brakes on 338LMs (~100 rounds) but have been impressed with how well my MPA brake works. The recoil has a fairly strong push but the rise time is mellow so there's not anything like a bone-jarring snap. However, the muzzle blast seems to envelop the immediate area and is somewhat Marty McFly-ish."

CBryars2
Not sure what you mean "Marty Mcfly-ish", know the movie, not the term (not arguing with you). No expert with muzzle breaks, just know this one works like the 110 FCP I have. Very comfortable to shoot.
Now my neighbors in right and left lanes may not appreciate it. Getting a can so that should help.

As for loud, I pick a time that has almost no one there and if other there ask for a lane away from people. I have ripped the next lanes target off before, now wait to shoot. From shooting position, not very loud.

lashlaroe
"When I am shooting my 110 FCP in .338, I am always clear to shooters that get ready to set up next to me that the muzzle blast is very rude. I've blown empty cases and all sorts of stuff off the bench. If there are too many people when I'm doing load development, I'll go prone a ways away if space is available."

CBryars2
Not sure what you mean "Marty Mcfly-ish"
"I meant that it's like standing by on the road when the DeLorean makes the jump to light speed. Maybe I should have used a "blew her skirt off" analogy."
Blew her skirt off, that I understand - interesting mental image.

Spartan338LM
What kind of brake is on that? Is it a savage made or another brand put on it? I've never seen one of these, it's a nice looking rifle!

CBryars2
Spartan,
It is stock Savage and a great brake. Shot .47 MOA at 100 yd will post picture tomorrow.

As promised test result using Tubb Final Finish #3 250gr pushed by RL-22 77gr powder. Measure .47 at 100 yds.

This rifle really shoots! Very happy with my new 338.

CBryars2
Sorta what I guessed. Looks as good or better than RPR to me. At first I did not care for pistol grip, but starting with RPR and now Savage I have gotten to like it.
So far I have had 4 savages in my life and all shot very well. The last 3 all capable of < .5 MOA. Can't really understand "Savage Haters".
Life is simple, don't like it, don't buy it.
Rate now:

orkan
308220 wrote:
"Fugly" is just a term Savage haters throw around loosely.
I view the term "savage haters" and the people that say it, the same way I view the liberals calling people like me "bigots & racists."

CBryars2
Range Report - Not!
My scope packed it in. Having to send back for warranty work (lifetime luckily). So nothing really to report.
Rate now:

orkan wrote:
308220 wrote:
"Fugly" is just a term Savage haters throw around loosely.
I view the term "savage haters" and the people that say it, the same way I view the liberals calling people like me "bigots & racists."
Yeah, well, there are people on this forum that will dog a Savage even if it stacks 5 right after another. Which most of them are capable of, right out of the box. That is a hater. They're real. Besides giving it a thumbs up for damn good accuracy, they'd rather just call it fugly or mention some sort of "feeding/ejection" issue that "might" arise later on. Which mine have worked flawlessly.

straightravage

"Does anyone know if the scope base is a 0moa base?"

As part of my scope drama, I reset mine and double checked torque. I did not see any markings indicating 20 moa or otherwise. Might call Savage and see what they say, had same question.
CBryars2
Update - called Savage and they confirmed rail is 20 MOA on the Stealth 338 and 300WM. Good News - matches what I was seeing on break-in, but scope issues made me unsure.
straightravage

"One more question Do I need a picatinny rail adapter to mount an Atlas bipod that has the American defense QD mount?"

CBryars2
Looked up American defense QD mount and did not see a sling stud to Rail adapter. Black Hawk makes a decent one that works pretty well.
What I recommend might be a more secure choice. MDT makes a rail that fits the Chassis. I removed the front sling stud from chassis and mounted the rail where is was. Brownells have a 100-009-791WB - 5.0 Rail with QD Sling Point Mfr Part: 102215BLK. It works perfectly and is very snug.

CBryars2
Lost elevation zero, failed box test. Used old scope and shot approx .8-.5 at 600 yds. with my Stealth 300WM. Wind was down which helped alot.
The old scope would lose focus after 1 round and eye relief was may 2.5". Be glad when my primary scope is repaired.
CBryars2
Range report and new stock test.

Since my primary scope is in the shop, mounted my back-up on my Stealth 338 Lapua and headed to my home range. Since indoors, folks shooting AR-15's nearby are really noisy, guess good practice at handling distractions. Guy arrived next to me shooting a .308 bolt action. I waited for him to mount his target (range has cables to move target out to distance. He inquired why, told him my muzzle blast would rip his target. He thought I was kidding. After I fired the 338, he realized I wasn't.

Was having to sight-in backup scope and test Berger 300 OTM bullets. Not bad for my backup $200 BSA scope. It goes out of focus after first shot of string, so a little bit of a pain.

Also mounted the Luth MBA-3 on the 338. Swapped it back and forth between GL-Shock and the MBA-3. The MBA-3 wins on adjust ability. It does force a lower rear bag placement that what I was used to. The rear pad shiftability is really nice. Able to move & up down and right & left.

CBryars2

Suppressor tax stamp arrived. Bummer has wrong thread size, need 5/8 - 24 tpi, can't find one in stock.

CBryars2

There was a question about difference between Drake Hunter\Stalker chassis (basis for Stealth) vs MDT LSS Chassis. Here is a good list by Frank - [url]http://www.scout.com/military/sniper...talker-chassis[/URL]
Snipers Hide -
Drake Associates has an exclusive agreement with MDT for the production of a modified chassis system that has DRAKE design influenced features “For Snipers by Snipers” TM (pending).
Special Ergonomics features have been added to the Drake Hunter Stalker LWSS (Light Weight Sniper System) Universal Chassis over original MDT LSS design as a very custom and exclusive product improvement
1 Hunter Stalker LWSS Universal chassis is also available in both SHORT and LONG Action - Remington 700 and Savage 10/110
2 Hunter Stalker Raked Magwell for distinctive look and special function - quick changes with minimal movement of chassis - streamlined with tracking channel for insert of mag.
3 Special Drake Military Division SNIPER logo engraving with Distinctive DRAKE - Bat wing TM design
4 CHASSIS is DELIVERED with one AICS Type Patterned magazine INCLUDED - so customer has this in hand when package arrives!
5 Special cuts around trigger guard to allow for correct fit of Ergo Grip that has finger groove ears above for index finger.
6 Special and enhanced and "EXTENDED XL" forend giving a longer forend for use when shooting in alternate position or shooting off packs allowing for proper hand placement
or more surface contact area (off pack)
7 Enlarged area forward of recoil lug for custom and enlarged OAL / DRAKE Quick Change Barrel (QCB) nut clearance
8 Exclusive Right hand Left Hand Chassis design (patent pending)
9 Additional holes in 3/9 oclock position for use with 6" Picitinny Rail assemblies that contain flush cup design
10 Optional 6 oclock position rail or bipod stud
11 Optional folder device/pivot for butt stock
12 Drake has selected the superior FAB defense GL-Shock Buttstock as a standard upgrade over the traditional Magpul CT
GL-Shock features:
• Reduces recoil and muzzle rise to allow faster, more accurate fire.
• 5 sling attachment points, including 2 QR attachment points.
• Storage compartment for batteries or parts.
• MIL-SPEC reinforced polymer composite, steel hardware, rubber buttpad.
• Fits any weapon that accepts M-4/AR15 style stocks.
• Patented system reduces recoil and muzzle rise.
• Auto-tensioner for no-rattle fit on both mil-spec and commercial tubes!
• Comfortable rubber butt pad provides traction on body armor.
• Streamlined shape will not snag on gear.
• Cheek riser is adjustable for optimal height for optics.
(NO ADDITIONAL Cheek pieces Need to be added)

CBryars2

Got repaired scope back. Waiting for suppressor adapter. Will post results once they are in. Tested on 300 WM and all went very well. Details will be posted on 300 WM first impressions.

CBryars2

My dealer got in a Sig 7.62 Flash Hider that will work on my Stealth .338 Lapua. Will mount suppressor and get some range results to post. Maybe a week or so. On 300WM had to get Gunsmith to remove the break, it was on there tight.
Mounting Suppressor on Stealth 6.5 tomorrow and test Monday.

Pictures of 338 at Talladega with electronic target read-out. Shooting 300 Berger OTM with 78 gr RL-22 powder. Wind was 10 mph right to left. No dope for 600 so first round was sighting round.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1274.photobucket.com\/albums\/y437\/cbryars2\/IMG_20170609_140754_zpsyh6a1qvl.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1274.photobucket.com\/albums\/y437\/cbryars2\/IMG_20170609_151614_zpshxmxifkf.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
Did some more analysis. Above target was 5.888 at 600 yds. MOA was 0.937. 10 mph right to left wind.

Tested 338 LM with Magnetospeed, load RL-22 78g, Berger 300 OTM. Was expecting abut 2500 fps. Got repeated (6 shots) all > 2500 fps. Avg 2554 SD 11.6. All with Suppressor.

Need to work that SD down, looks like my scales are allowing 3 or so powder per .1 gr.

Any ideas?

Suggestions?

Whats with photobucket. Looked at link and they want $500 bucks to allow displaying?

photobucket became crapbucket....sorry, couldn't resist. I was hoping to see your pictures of both the 338 and the 300 winmag. Considering a 300 winmag rebarrel of my 30-06 rem 700

I find it hard to believe Savage chose that extremely shitty buttstock. They go through and develop a nice chassis system with Drake and then they (Drake and Savage) go through and fuck the whole thing up with that FAB Defense pile of ass. Where to begin? It wiggles, the cheek adjustment piece is not stable, there's no place to rest the stock in a bag, and did I mention it wiggles?

What's even more fucked up is the simple fact that the Luth-AR MBA 1 precision rifle stock is actually not much more money than this piece of booty.

Horrible decision for certain.

Whats with photobucket. Looked at link and they want $500 bucks to allow displaying?

You can post pics direct from your computer without a hosting service. Click on the Paper Clip in in the top right of the posting window, and upload them direct.

2500fps?? Shouldn't you be getting around 2700? That's what I get out of my 110 FCP with 300 SMKs and Retumbo. 2500 seems way under-powered. I'm not sure about using RL22 with the 300s, maybe it's OK, but Retumbo is perfect for 300s in the Lapua.

I'll try posting using paper clip. The Fab stock is good for carbines, not so much precision rifle. The 300WM & 338 is larger than 6.5 version.

Show < 2700 at max load for RL-22. May try another powder.

Thanks

Definitely. Retumbo is probably the best choice, maybe H1000 second.

From Savage - those wanting LH the wait is over.

Savage announced left-hand versions of its popular Stealth chassis rifle chambered in popular long-range calibers. The lineup expanded to include .223.