• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SAVAGE STOCKS SUCK!!!!!!!!

Jimmy2Times

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2005
Amesbury, Massachusetts
Well I was out shooting my MK II FV today for the second time and I have decided that the plastic POS stock that it comes with is total junk. Just like the factory stock on the FP10's. Absolute garbage. I cannot, for the life of me, get a decent cheek weld on this thing. With all that being said, I had a pretty good day. Shooting SH Practical Tactical targets at 100 and 50 yards with the wind gusting 10 to 15 MPH. 100 yards was humbling to say the least. I still shot pretty damn good, but nothing I'm going to post.

The best part of the day was shooting with my boy. It's his second season shooting and he's really starting to understand the basic fundamentals of shooting. He is developing a trigger squeeze that it took me 25 years to figure out. He really made me proud today.

Anyway, I just needed to unload on my Savage stock. I almost wrapped that fucker around a tree today.

Re: SAVAGE STOCKS SUCK!!!!!!!!

Feel like building 2??

laugh.gif

That's one of the reasons I bought the BTVS. I really like the thumbhole stock. It will work well until I can replace it with a more A2'ish stock, then I can sell the factory stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Feel like building 2??

laugh.gif
</div></div>

Of course. I'll build as many as people want. I'll work out the details and make a jig for routing the action. I'll post the results in about 6 weeks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kyshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try this out, I'm going to put my MKII FV into one as soon as I can.

The Sharp Shooter
Match/Target Rimfire Stock

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

</div></div>

Yep, I've been looking at that stock. I'll be buying one in the next couple of weeks. Then I'll have to send it to somebody for paint, which sucks. I wish SSS still offered finished stocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmm, my middle son Sam has no issues with his. He says it's just fine.
grin.gif
</div></div>

Yeah, off the bench it's perfectly fine. 100%. I just can't get down prone with it.

Also, are you confused about your service? Your mil sig says, "Once a Marine, always a Marine" with a bunch of Army shit. Did you crossdeck from USMC to Army or something?

Love the stock on my BTVS. Rifle shoots very good but I do think they can do better on the stocks. Remington is the same on thier stocks also.

Yup...the low end stocks aren't great. You spend more money and get a good stock and problems go away.

However, I shoot my .223 in 12FV in prone kneeling standing offhand and bench and it never fails me. I haven't felt the need to replace it.

I have a 93 in 17 HMR that seems to be just fine with it. It's not the plastic stock though, but probably the bottom end of the wood ones. For a $250 rifle I don't expect a $250 stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 93 in 17 HMR that seems to be just fine with it. It's not the plastic stock though, but probably the bottom end of the wood ones. For a $250 rifle I don't expect a $250 stock. </div></div>

Hell I din't even pay close to that for my MK II FV, and I had no expectations, as I have been shooting Savages for years. That, however, doesn't change the fact that the stock sucks. I will be replacing it PDQ.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cwa11is</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Feel like building 2??

laugh.gif
</div></div>

Of course. I'll build as many as people want. I'll work out the details and make a jig for routing the action. I'll post the results in about 6 weeks. </div></div>

I'm going to pick up my new MarkII FV today or tomorrow. Depending on how it goes I might be interested in one of your stocks. Do you have any pix of your previous work?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cheezdoggie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cwa11is</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Feel like building 2??

laugh.gif
</div></div>

Of course. I'll build as many as people want. I'll work out the details and make a jig for routing the action. I'll post the results in about 6 weeks. </div></div>

I'm going to pick up my new MarkII FV today or tomorrow. Depending on how it goes I might be interested in one of your stocks. Do you have any pix of your previous work? </div></div>

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=875391#Post875391

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 93 in 17 HMR that seems to be just fine with it. It's not the plastic stock though, but probably the bottom end of the wood ones. For a $250 rifle I don't expect a $250 stock. </div></div>

Hell I din't even pay close to that for my MK II FV, and I had no expectations, as I have been shooting Savages for years. That, however, doesn't change the fact that the stock sucks. I will be replacing it PDQ. </div></div>

I don't doubt that plastic POS on the Mk II blows, the wood one on the 17 is a different contour with a raised cheek weld. I'm content with mine for now, as time goes on we'll see what I do, but I have a feeling it's going to stay for a while.

I'd like to see what you get to replace it though, because I have a Marlin 925 that's getting turning into a dedicated 22 silenced bolt action and I plan on a new stock and bipod for it.

Well,
I picked up my new Mark II FV. I shot it this past Saturday. I'm not too enthused with the scope base, but it'll work for now I guess. The rings I had lying around were those Leapers' brand-- the bolts were soft-- softer than aluminum ( i know that sounds crazy, but I'm serious) so I knocked the press bolts out and replaced them. I mounted a Weaver 6-14 (don't remember the model number). I got it dialed in close enough to shoot spent shotgun shell casings at 70 yards (I didn[t have any paper targets so I plinked).
I'm quite happy with it, but Jimmy2Times, YOU'RE RIGHT! hahahaha that is a crappy stock! I took the barrel/action out to look over the trigger group, and man, there's not much there to bed that sucka!

I'm thinking ONE-OFF-CUSTOM. I'll try to remember to take pics, but before I build I'll mock up what I want to do.the first I think will be Fiberglass bedded with aluminum. Wish me luck cause factory plastic....is aweful
smile.gif

BTW- I've already dropped the spring rate and polished the contact points on the trigger- crisp and clean like glass! YUM!

Can you show me where to polish the trigger points and mess with the spring like you mentioned? I would like to do that to my Sav 93

Thanks
Bohem

That is probaly why You can buy the rifle at dicks for 300$.
Shoot great though doesn't it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slsail</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is probaly why You can buy the rifle at dicks for 300$.
Shoot great though doesn't it </div></div>

Does the job for sure. There's a saying I read somewhere, I think it was an older A-Square publication, that went about like this.

"If the rifles looks like a gorgeous piece of furniture and costs $1000 then you know the components in it are probably cheap trash. If the stock is functional and ugly and the rifle costs $1000 well, then you know where the money was spent by the builders."

I shot it today. It was, interesting, bitter sweet, and fun. Weather was great, wind-unpredictable 0-15 mph shooting at 100 yards with a 7-10 degree down angle. I had to set up on the side of the ridge, rocky, my footing were some small saplings. I was in a "off-hand prone" position. Not what I wanted, but it made for an interesting challenge, and quite fun.
AH! the trigger, nice, pretty crisp, I also snipped the trigger spring down a few turns(as it was already run in all the way). I found the "procedure" on the rim fire central site. That guy polished his sear in a couple of places that I did not. I did not polish the trigger safety, either. THE main place I polished mine was the contact area on the trigger where it touches the sear, and vise versa.
---the instructions I found, the guy Shimmed his trigger so there was no side-to-side wobble. I did not do that---yet. I think I am first going to fix the trigger housing so it is not "clam shell". I may tack weld it close so there is no play in it. It seems a little odd this was not done at the factory, but whatever. One guy said he pushed in on his to close the gap where the trigger rides. I haven't decided how I want to improve that one, yet.

I just used a polishing stone in my knife sharpening kit. OBVIOUSLY I used the FINE stone. I don't think you want to take too much off. WOrd of ADvice-take your time, do not put a cant, or slope, or slant , to it. Make sure that flat surface retains the same linear plane. I'll try to post a pic tomorrow.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cheezdoggie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shot it today. It was, interesting, bitter sweet, and fun. Weather was great, wind-unpredictable 0-15 mph shooting at 100 yards with a 7-10 degree down angle. I had to set up on the side of the ridge, rocky, my footing were some small saplings. I was in a "off-hand prone" position. Not what I wanted, but it made for an interesting challenge, and quite fun.
AH! the trigger, nice, pretty crisp, I also snipped the trigger spring down a few turns(as it was already run in all the way). I found the "procedure" on the rim fire central site. That guy polished his sear in a couple of places that I did not. I did not polish the trigger safety, either. THE main place I polished mine was the contact area on the trigger where it touches the sear, and vise versa.
---the instructions I found, the guy Shimmed his trigger so there was no side-to-side wobble. I did not do that---yet. I think I am first going to fix the trigger housing so it is not "clam shell". I may tack weld it close so there is no play in it. It seems a little odd this was not done at the factory, but whatever. One guy said he pushed in on his to close the gap where the trigger rides. I haven't decided how I want to improve that one, yet.

I just used a polishing stone in my knife sharpening kit. OBVIOUSLY I used the FINE stone. I don't think you want to take too much off. WOrd of ADvice-take your time, do not put a cant, or slope, or slant , to it. Make sure that flat surface retains the same linear plane. I'll try to post a pic tomorrow.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

I'm really looking forward to seeing the pics, thanks. Can you give me a link to the place you found info directly?