• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SAVAGE TARGET ACTION

RDPworks

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2024
Ohio
I am building a 600 yard target gun chambered in 243 win, shooting a 115 dtac, 26in X-caliber 7.5 twist barrel.
I ordered a Savage Target action from Northland Shooter Supply and my hopes were high. I am a fan of savage guns and their quality for the price.
When I unboxed it I was a tad bit disappointed in the fit and finish.
The bolt movement was very rough and the machining marks were not the greatest.
I measured the recoil lug with a micrometer and from side to side it was .001 out, which is more than I expected.

I looked over the action body and noticed there were big burrs at about every edge. So I worked at it for a while with the back edge of a knife, little file, and 2000 grit sandpaper and polished the inside of the action. Oiled it up heavily and worked the bolt in and out about a million times. Now the bolt feels like glass, absolutely smooth with no issues
How i feel it should have came from the factory

I also have a savage 12, and an axis ii with the normal savage accutriggers that are both adjusted all the way down. Which I believe is 1.5lbs.
I adjusted the target trigger all the way down and i don't really notice a difference until I set my other rifle side by side. The blade on the target trigger does have a lighter spring tension which I was curious about, very comfortable on the finger compared to the standard accutrigger.

Last edited:
This was more informing people of what the target action was like. There's not a whole lot of info on them from buyers, just letting people know what they should expect with a budget-ish action if they decide to go that route.