• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing savage target actions

rockybrashear

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
Cincinnati Ohio
i was looking at target actions on the savage web sit the other day and noticed that most came in either a .223 or "standard bolt head". what do they mean by standard bolt head exactly? is it any other standard cartidge sizes offered by savage or what?

Re: savage target actions

I would guess they use the term for .308 family cartridges, but you should ask.

Since the bolthead is easily changed by the user, it is not a big concern.

Rafael is correct, it is a .473" bolt face for the 308 family of cartridges. You can also get 223, Magnum/WSM or PPC bolt heads as well.

thanks guys but i decide to go with the weather warrior series 7mm rem mag and making a switch barrel rig with a mcgowen stainless 300 win mag barrel. i didnt like the light trigger pull on the target action.

Read further, under Centerfire, Precision Actions. Savage Varmint and Sporter actions come with AccueTrigger adjustable from 2.5-6lb. Sporter actions, fixed magazine, varmint actions, .223 and standard (.473"), detachabkle box magaxine. BTW, SSS sells a DM extension that allows up to 10rd.

Greg