• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Savage TR vs. CZ 452 Varmint...17HMR

snaptrigger

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2011
Connersville, IN
I have done some looking around and have seen the debate go both ways on this one?

I have personally shot a CZ .17HMR several times and know just how accurate they are, and can be. I love the look of the Savage TR and I know they are notoriously very accurate as well.

Throw the opinions out there, what prompted you to make your choice on rifles? Also, what kind of glass did you decide on...I'm thinking of going the VX-ll 4-12x40 AO route?????

Re: Savage TR vs. CZ 452 Varmint...17HMR

This topic is beat to death. Go back 5 pages on this rimfire forum and you will find the info you are looking for.

For me it came down to price, trigger, and availability of parts (and expenses for them). That's why I chose savage

Search and you will see

I think it boils down to personal preference, either rifle will shoot very well. As far as optics go, the sky is the limit, I have a SWFA SS 10X42 fixed power on my Savage TR and love it. Personally, if I like the way something works, looks and feels then that's what I'm going to have not what someone else says is better just because they have one.

both are very accurate.....neither side will concede the battle on accuracy. There are more aftermarket parts for the savage, although several companies have popped up with new offerings for CZ parts in the last few years. If you like customization (think a bolt version of a 10/22) then buy a savage. If you like a more solid rifle with better fit and finish, the CZ wins hands down. If you go Savage, i feel it is necessary to replace the bottom metal right out of the box. The factory bottom metal will not allow you to adjust the torque settings on the action screws to where the gun really wants to be.

My 452 American typically shoots 1 1/2" @100 yards. There's quite a few guys at Rimfire Central who claim their 452s will shoot 1" or better. They might all be full of it but there's more 452 shooters making that brag than any other rimfire.

Personal preference for sure, no point arguing accuracy. Both are very capable. Scopes...sky is the limit but I prefer variable power for rimfires. My TR is topped off with Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 mildot.

For me it was that Savage comes in a left handed version.

Out of the box the Savage TR was a VERY close match to my centerfire rifle stocks. It shoots well ( consistant on MOA sized targets to 321y) if i do my part. Topped with a NF 3.5x15x50 zstp.

PS: Sorry for posting in the wrong spot, I am shooting the 22lr not HMR.

I have a TR and am very impressed with it. I went one step further this past week and picked up a 452 Varmit, both are .22 rimfire.
The jury is still out on which is the most accurate. I fabbed a new piece of bottom metal for the Savage last night.
I will keep you all posted on my results. I will be using the same optics, targets,and rest supports on both rifles and each shoot Wolf MT very well so I am looking foward to the test for myself. I will be trying to test each as equally as possible at the same time to obtain fair results.

What? No love for the Marlins? My Marlins bring all the girls to the yard...

I have the CZ 452 Varmint and I picked it just because, well, I liked it. Shoots very well and looks damn good too, with some nice wood. Thinking of selling it though, as I have the same rifle in .22lr, and just don't shoot the .17HMR enough. That money could go to some other toy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snaptrigger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have done some looking around and have seen the debate go both ways on this one?

I have personally shot a CZ .17HMR several times and know just how accurate they are, and can be. I love the look of the Savage TR and I know they are notoriously very accurate as well.

Throw the opinions out there, what prompted you to make your choice on rifles? Also, what kind of glass did you decide on...I'm thinking of going the VX-ll 4-12x40 AO route????? </div></div>

My Marlin shoot bug holes out to 120.... just my $.02