• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Savage Tuppaware

Re: Savage Tuppaware

Yes. You can improve it greatly, but for some it may still leave enough to be desired to purchase another stock of some sort. You will not be able to remove the flex completely from the stock, so don't expect it to be super rigid when you do this method.

You can epoxy a rigid shaft or rod inside the barrel channel area. Be sure to allow it to completely dry prior to doing any real messing with it to ensure there is no introduction of air pockets in the epoxy. Make sure that the rod or shaft is as long as you can make it, and get as close to the recoil lug as possible. I actually made a slight taper on the rod that I used to to force the recoil lug against the facing of the stock. This actually helped the rigidity, and added another angle of pressure to firm up the pillar bedding. The rifle shot extremely well after this modification.

The rod with the epoxy will add the stiffness that will help, and the epoxy will also help with the twisting too.

I hope this helps...

DK

Thanks for advice z71. Ya I know I should get a new stock, just tryin to help this one untill I can get one. Z, any recommendations on size of bar stock used would be cool.

I used 3/8 galvanized rod (from Tractor Suppy Company (TSC)). I cut the rod at about 5 1/2 inches in length. Used a Dremel tool to remove the plastic bridging inside the stock were the rods would fit in the forearm. I epoxied the rods in place (if you want to put in an additional stud, now is the time BEFORE you put the rods in). I shrank the groups to less than 1 MOA (I bedded the action as well). Added weight was not too bad. This was done on a Savage 300 Win Mag sporter barrel with tupperware stock.
PM me for a link if needed!

I was messing around with this idea, and I got some angle aluminum from Home Depot and my plan was to epoxy it into the stock, below the barrel channel. Minimum weight and maximum lateral rigidity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get a new stock? </div></div>

Amen. There is no point in trying to modify the plastic stock, you will just be disappointed, sweaty, and wishing you hadn't just spent $40 at home depot.