• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage vs Stevens Differences

SJshooter

BTM FDR
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2011
Maryland
picasaweb.google.com
Hi all. Did a search on this but didn't find much.

What is the differences between the Stevens Actions and Savage Actions? Internals...?

Any difference in barrel change or accuracy?

What about a difference in aftermarket parts for Stevens vs Savage?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Savage vs Stevens Differences

I can't answer all your questions, but here is what I know.
No real difference in the action except there is no AccuTrigger availible on a Stevens. That's not always a bad thing. If you plan to use an aftermarket trigger you have more options if your gun didn't come with an AccuTrigger. If I build rifle in the future I may do it on a Stevens action as I think they are identical.
The barrels interchange. One says Savage.

as far as i can tell, no accutrigger and it says stevens on the bolt body. if you want to do a DIY build then start with the stevens as you will change everything anyways. if you want to upgrade slowly over time then the savage might be the better way to go.

No difference. All parts interchange. I have built 2 full rifles on Stevens actions with very good results. A 223AI and 308. The 223AI is a 1/2 MOA or better gun.

In the end if I had it to do all over, I'd just buy the Police McMillan and a lot of Ammo. I used a Savage with an Accutrigger, Benchmark Barrel, SS Recoil Lug, HTG McMillan.

To answer the question correctly. The best way to get an action for a build is finding a Stevens. Sell the tupperware stock and barrel for about around $130.00.

not much difference at all. everything bolts up.
i've already built one, and in the middle of building another.
great option for a build in regards to price.
and shoots great!

I have owned both and the receivers are identical, the Stevens come with a sandpaper trigger and truly PoS stock to hit the lower price point. I built a precision 308 off of a Stevens 200 short action that routinely groups 1/2" with handloads.

I had the same question for my varmint gun build and found that MOST savage parts will work on a stevens actions, some trigger might not but this is just what i have heard. The most important detail in the savages, IMHO, are the spacing between the action screws, in regards to stocks selection. I went with a Stevens 200 in 308 and sent it off to SSS to make it into a 243. Although next time I do a Savage/Stevens build i will most likely just get the savage target action and build it myself, they seem pretty easy to build. I suggest talking to Kevin at stockade, hes alot easier to get in touch with then fred and can tell you ANYTHING you would need to know.

The only aftermarket triggers that you can use on a Savage that came with an AccuTrigger are the Basix SAV-1 & SAV-2. If that Savage also has an AccuStock that you intend to keep then the only one you can use is the SAV-1. Unless you intend to use the AccuTrigger a Stevens has alot more options as I believe you can use any trigger designed for a Savage.

I do believe the accutrigger will actually fit on the late model Stevens. I just purchased one and plan to assemble into something else. I think I will put a Basix or Timney in place of the crapola trigger.

Yes I bought a Savage(Stevens), gonna see if they are all I hear they are.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do believe the accutrigger will actually fit on the late model Stevens. I just purchased one and plan to assemble into something else. I think I will put a Basix or Timney in place of the crapola trigger.

Yes I bought a Savage(Stevens), gonna see if they are all I hear they are. </div></div>

Looking forward to your report. I have a friend who's opinion about shooting and shooting products I value very much. He never had anything good to say about Savage products. I heard for the most part nothing but good about Savage with the exception of him.

With that said, I traded into a 10FP in .308. It is an excellent shooter. I wish I had access to longer ranges, because I believe this rifle would really prove how well it can shoot at longer distances.

Since I bought that rifle I also picked up two Stevens 200's in .223. The first is a stagger feed rifle and the second is one of the newer center feed rifles. The newer rifle shoots circles around the stagger feed. I really had no intention of picking up the last one, but my local Academy sports had it for 169.99. I got it out the door for less than 200.00.

None of these rifles had an accutrigger. All of the factory triggers were replaced with Timney triggers.

Good luck and I hope it is a shooter for you.

I just made the commitment on a Stevens 200. It's coming in .223, but I'm gonna buy a savage wrench, gauge, and .308 barrel and switch it back and forth myself.

I don't know if it's center or stagger feed. Why would one shoot better than the other? And if you put and aftermarket stock on it with bottom metal, would it even matter anymore bc it would depend on the mag used?

I decided I wanted a 7mm so I bought a 7mm08 Criterion barrel from Jim Briggs at Northland Shooter Supply. I put it on in my dad's garage one night with the tools I bought from Jim. Now that I've done it I could put the 308 barrel back on easily if I wanted.
I believe you will need to change the bolt face.

I plan on building my LR gun around the Stevens 200. Seems a good compromise for the money.

We should have a sticky or maybe an **Offical thread.

Justin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SJshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just made the commitment on a Stevens 200. It's coming in .223, but I'm gonna buy a savage wrench, gauge, and .308 barrel and switch it back and forth myself.

I don't know if it's center or stagger feed. Why would one shoot better than the other? And if you put and aftermarket stock on it with bottom metal, would it even matter anymore bc it would depend on the mag used? </div></div>Don't forget this:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/451988/...-308-winchester

Here are the instructions, torque wrench extension calculator I used and a video. You will also need either an action wrench or a barrel vice. The action wrench is much cheaper. If you have any questions about the swap let me know. It's still very fresh on my mind.
http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/do...nstructions.pdf
http://www.freeinfostuff.com/TorqueExtension/TorqueExtension.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPlFtskCw...ture=plpp_video

You might also find this interesting as I ended up researching prefit barrels for my Savage.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3301142&page=1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SJshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just made the commitment on a Stevens 200. It's coming in .223, but I'm gonna buy a savage wrench, gauge, and .308 barrel and switch it back and forth myself.

I don't know if it's center or stagger feed. Why would one shoot better than the other? And if you put and aftermarket stock on it with bottom metal, would it even matter anymore bc it would depend on the mag used? </div></div>

SJ, I am assuming that you are addressing me about my comment about the center feed shooting better than the stagger feed.

I think it is just the luck of the draw. Other than replacing the trigger on all of the rifles, I have not done anything else. The Stevens rifles have a super crappy flimsy ass stock. I would think that this is part of the problem. Probably if I would replace the stock on the stagger feed or maybe just stiffen the stock it might make it shoot better.

It is not a bad shooter, it is just readily apparent how much better the center feed is compared to the stagger feed.

Enjoy your rifle, they are great shooters.

It I buy an aftermarket stock (for example: Manners) for my Stevens 200 in 223, will I run into problems with the size of the mag in the magwell when I change from 223 to 308?

Is there any difference in action size between 223 and 308?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SJshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It I buy an aftermarket stock (for example: Manners) for my Stevens 200 in 223, will I run into problems with the size of the mag in the magwell when I change from 223 to 308? </div></div>

No; blind mag and bottom metal footprints are the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there any difference in action size between 223 and 308? </div></div>

No.

I'm in fact building a 223AI on a 110 long action...just because I can. Running CDI LA/308 mag DBM, so if I want to screw a 260 barrel on all I'll need to do is take 15 minutes to swap bolt heads and barrels, and use 308 AICS-pattern mags vs. 223 mags.