• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Savage wsm firing pin

jhopkins

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2008
Choctaw, Oklahoma
My current short action is setup in 243win and I would like to change it to 300wsm. I already picked up the bolt head/baffle and wsm mag box, now I just need a wsm firing pin. I have checked Brownells and Midway and they say that its a discontinued part by Savage and not available through either of them.

I have been told that my current pin might be able to be adjusted out to work but I really would rather not tear it apart and start changing stuff if it will not work. I know I'm not the only one to do this so there has to be someone here that has or knows someone that has done this conversion and can lead me in the right direction to get it done. Thanks for the help.

Re: Savage wsm firing pin

You will have to do some Mods to put the Mag bolt head on a standard Short Action... But your FP should be fine.

Re: Savage wsm firing pin

I already spoke with Jhopkins but for knowledge sake, you can put the WSM boltface on a Savage SA. I put one on a Model 12 LRP repeater target action 2 months ago. You do not need a new firing pin. They are both the same approx .1 in diameter. The savage firing pin protrusion can be adjusted. However, the WSM bolt faces were designed for a control feed action where the ejector was located in the rear of the action. This was to ensure proper feeding the WSM cartridges. So using the WSM bolt face on a push feed action results in a ejector less operation unless you machine the bolt face. However, on the one I built, it is not a problem, the fired rounds slide right out using your index finger.