• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Savage

super90

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2007
Livonia louisiana
Fellas I just picked up a model 110LA in 243 for a cool $125.00.I am going to order a shillen barrel and a bell and carson stock.The question that I have is what caliber would you go with while keeping the same bolt face.

Re: Savage

Would help to know what you are intending to do with the rifle. 243 makes a heck of a varmint round among other things. 308 is very popular and would keep your bolt face.

For a predator/varmint rifle I would personally keep it a 243. Brass and bullets are readily available, low recoil, and can double as a deer or medium game rifle. The 65 grain V Max at 3600 fps does a number on coyotes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SavageStag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you hand load? </div></div>

Yes I do.What barrel twist would you go with for a 243 shooting the heavier bergers and smk's?

SoCal I bought it off of a friend that was in a bind and needed some cash fast.I am thinking that I will order the shillen varmit contur in 243 with a 8 twist to shoot the heavier bergers.This rifle will mainly be a dedicated predator rifle.Will I be able to shoot the lighter bullets with a 8 twist barrel?

SavageStag do you have any side pics of the tiger stripe stock?

I'd stick with .243. Awesome heavy varmint rifle, awesome deer rifle, awesome tactical cartridge all the way to 1000. 6mm boolits are cheaper to buy and a benchrest classic.

Another +1 for the 243. Very versatile cartridge and readily available components. If you want to get something with a little more speed, maybe a 6mm06. Got a friend that shoots a Remington Sendero in 6mm06. It is a lazer beam. I think he said he's running a mild load with 75 V-maxes around 3621fps. Forms off of 25-06 brass. I believe you're a barrel away from being able to do it. I've been thinking about picking up a cheap 110 action for one myself.

There are many who have used lighter bullets for the .243 8 twist here without problems with stabilization so I think you'll be fine.

I just did a similar build but went from a 30-06 to a 6mm remington. All Parts purchased from www.sharpshootersupply.com

009.jpg

While I definitely like the .260, I think it's nearly impossible to top the versatility of the .30-'06, and having a long action would essentially clinch the choice for me. I'd stick with a SAAMI spec chamber, 1:10" twist, and compromise with a 24" or 26" barrel length. Unless I was going to go hunting mostly in the steep part of the mountains, I'd go with a Light Varmint contour.

The beauty of the .30-'06 is the vast selection of commercial loadings available; and the way it can be handloaded to produce performance ranging from managed recoil light loads to match loads that dupicate some of the lesser .300WM loads. From marmot to black bear, it's a definite game getter; and is far from being spent when it reaches out to 1Kyd.

If you really want to stretch the long end of the .30-'06 case capacity's performance spectrum, the newer 7mm match projectiles make the .280 Rem especially intriguing. On the other hand, when slinging a large slug is optimal, the .35 Whelen stands out. With three barrels configured for switching, you can have all these cakes and eat 'em too. Everything else works essentially interchangeably.

Greg

243 w/8 twist is the way that I would go. Good Lapua brass readily available too! I would say 260, but the brass selection is limited. You could of course resize 243 brass, but I just do not see the need to with the 243. George Gardner showed that the 243 is still one damn fine round with great versatility to boot!

If you are going to stick to predators/varmints, you could go with a 1-10 twist in a .243 and shoot the 95 grainers and below. If you have nothing else to use for deer, they have been knocking down for years with 90-95 grain bullets..........

In a long action, I would go with a 6.5x55, you can shoot the the 108 grain lapua scenar has a higher ballitic coefficient than the .30 cal 168 grain HPBT, would make a dandy yote bullet, the 123 grain will easily stay supersonic out past 1000 yards, withouth pushing it hard from the swede, then you can move up to the 130 and 140 class, get a 160 grain bullet and use it for elk.
Long barrel life, mild mannered, low recoil. It is so efficient there is no reason to hot-rod it. You can get bullets as light as 90 grains for varmints.