• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage

CarbonMTN

224 Overbore
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
NV
Thinking about picking up a Savage 110 Elite in 223. thoughts?

It's been years sense I've had a savage and just like most american rifle company they have had their ups and downs.

General consensus On The Hide is they’re generally reliable shooters out of the box.

I bought a used Savage run of the mill Model 10 hunting rifle .308 w accutrigger and Accustock and it shoots sub-MOA w factory ammo.

It kills deer but I’ve learned I don’t like the accutrigger as much as my Timneys.

General consensus On The Hide is they’re generally reliable shooters out of the box.

I bought a used Savage run of the mill Model 10 hunting rifle .308 w accutrigger and Accustock and it shoots sub-MOA w factory ammo.

It kills deer but I’ve learned I don’t like the accutrigger as much as my Timneys.

I'd say more accurate than reliable out of the box. Most Savages I've dealt with grouped well with no work. It's everything else like the clunky bolt lift and weak ejection that I found to be a pain. The older ones seem nicer, but that's just my anecdotal experience through buddy's rifles.

Northernjets' experience echos mine with my three Savages. Accurate, but the clunky bolt and ejection issues can get frustrating when you run 'em.

One of the guys I shoot with has a hand in building them or something at savage, and they seem to just hammer with factory ammo.

I'd say more accurate than reliable out of the box. Most Savages I've dealt with grouped well with no work. It's everything else like the clunky bolt lift and weak ejection that I found to be a pain. The older ones seem nicer, but that's just my anecdotal experience through buddy's rifles.
Northernjets' experience echos mine with my three Savages. Accurate, but the clunky bolt and ejection issues can get frustrating when you run 'em.
This.
Their limitations and not so hot resale value limit them.
My savage has burned down a few barrels now and keeps chugging along but I have had to work on it a bit over the years.

The two I have are serving me well. So I dont have any negative comments about them. I know some have had issues with them as with anything machine.

I have a 12FV in 6.5 Creedmoor from Cabela's that I dropped in an Oryx a while back. That one's accurate enough with Hornady factory 140s that I don't even reload for it anymore. It wasn't what I'd call smooth out of the box but I did a little shaping and polishing, and a little tweaking here and there and after a few hundred rounds it's pretty much as good as any other factory rifle I've ever used. Mine extracted and ejected fine out of the box, but I put the ejector kit in anyway and tweaked it slightly for better feeding (skipped the extractor since the claw with the kit had less purchase on the rim than the factory one, but I did use the bigger ball). I've scoped the bore and there are some tool marks on the lands, but it doesn't foul any quicker than anything else is very accurate so I can't complain.

Honestly, I've been really impressed with the Savage for the price I paid. Had to ditch the factory tupperware but there's plenty of aftermarket support, and that rifle just flat gets the job done. It's been a fun project gun and I'll likely never get rid of it.

are you looking at it for a trainer to a larger rifle, or just a high end .223 prebuilt rifle ready to go?

are you looking at it for a trainer to a larger rifle, or just a high end .223 prebuilt rifle ready to go?

I just really like 223, easy to find ammo, light recoil, its cheap to shoot and VERY rewarding when I hear the DING from hitting steel very far away. It's just another flavor rifle to the ELR I love doing.

My model 11 with everything stock on the rifle as it came from the factory.

IMG-20200214-WA0002.jpeg

A 12FV in an Oryx is a great way to build some relatively cheap and very accurate rifles. I sold off the OEM barrels and picked up some X-Calibers when they went on sale...

IMG_20190728_161107.jpg

My first and only bolt gun is a Savage 10 in 6.5 CM. Sub MOA from day one and I have never had feeding nor ejection issues. Over the couple years I have dropped it in an MDT LSS-XL chassis and built my own FrankenGun based on the barreled action. I love it. Runs like a top.

When I shoot the barrel out I'll add a custom barrel and keep rocking it. No regrets from me on Savage.

VooDoo

I've had four over the years, these are the two I have now. No serious issues. Best value on the market for the accuracy and quality at the price point imo.

My only gripes are the bolt lift that is an easy fix with a lift kit or longer knob, and occasionally if I pussyfoot I'll fail to eject. Run the bolt hard and fast and they'll fling out with authority.

Model 12 BVSS .223/Factory/Athlon Midas Tac.

Model 10 FV-SR .308/Choate tactical/Bushnell Forge.

Attachments

• 20200810_234637.jpg
    20200810_234637.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200717_224633.jpg
    20200717_224633.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
I only have one Savage left, my .223, LRP action with a factory F Class take off barrel that I bought for 100 bucks and came with some lapua brass. This is a 10 shot group after I zero'd the scope at 100 with black hills 77SMK's . This action started out as a 6.5 CM, then a 7 Saum and now it will stay as a .223. They're not smooth an refined like my impact action but they shoot. :) This one has the target action with the trigger set about 12 oz.

223_Target.jpg

I've been a Savage proponent here, and since before The 'Hide became a reality. Everything said above agrees with my own experience. I remain a Savage proponent.

I like them because they offer good performance at an industry standard pricing. The icing on my cake is that with the purchase of a barrel wrench and barrel vise, the Savage rifles can be upgraded with replacement barrels, with the only concern being about cartridge base diameters. Conveniently, the bolt heads are also interchangeable, so it's probably quite hard to find a cartridge the Savage won't handle so long as one sticks with accepted short and long action chamberings.

The trigger is adjustable. Some folks just plain don't like it, and some have found actual issues with how they work., The first is a preference, and the other is something that falls under warrantee. The trigger works for me, and so does the rest of the rifle.

The rifles have problems when subjected to more rigorous usage. LL has reported seeing frequent failures on the line during his training classes. I believe whatever he says, even if it's inconvenient for my own outlooks.

I have had one failure with a Savage, in 2002, during a National Competition.

Believe it or not, I came to the comp with concerns and therefore brought a spare bolt. Our Team Snipers' Hide brought our own gunsmith/armorer, and when the cartridges blew primers in the high heat, it took out the extractors. I would hand the bolt back over my shoulder to be repaired and the other would slap into my hand. Those extractors were getting replaced in a period of a minute or three. This happened several times. I got off all my rounds regardless.

The cause was undeniably a result of ammunition that was loaded too hot, and I don't consider it to be 'a Savage failure.' Aside from this, my Savages have run trouble free, some for going on three decades, including the one from that match.

My approach to guns in general is to run them like you plan to use them a lot and keep them forever. That's just what I do, and I like mine as much as ever.

At my age, competition is either local or not at all. The Savages remain goto rifles of mine

Right now I'm on an AR kick, and that's what's drawing much of my attention. Still; I won't be getting rid of my Savages until just after Hell freezes over.

Greg

Last edited:
I just really like 223, easy to find ammo, light recoil, its cheap to shoot and VERY rewarding when I hear the DING from hitting steel very far away. It's just another flavor rifle to the ELR I love doing.

Given that, and all the excellent info in other replies I think you'll be happy with a Savage. My experience echoes that of others, including those little groups...

Reactions: LooseGoose
It really depends on the primary use for the rifle - I'm a Savage Whore and am completely satisfied with my Savage 10 FCP-SR in 6.5 CM. Before unemployment I wanted to shoot .338 Lapua and if I recover financially (not likely) I'll scratch that itch with a Savage. That said, if I was going to compete and face the possibility of reselling guns to recover my investment to move t another gun, or needed the Nth degree of bolt functionality I'd likely have other choices.

Love my Savage but I'm not using for what some others are using it for. So, YMMV depending on your course.

VooDoo