• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Saw my first fake today.

scout1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2006
Apache County,Arizona
I went to my local range today to test a few loads though my 5R. It was pretty nice since I was the only one there. As I was finishing up another guy from the area who I did not know showed up. We started talking and he asked me if the scope on my rifle was a Leupold Mark 4, it is. He then asked me to look at his "Mark4". He had already been informed by a friend that his was a counterfit. He seemed to know his stuff just did not know Mk4's and was not aware that fakes were floating around. Traded for it at a gun show. Needless to say his is pissed and stuck with it as he says he will not pass it on to someone else.

scout1

Re: Saw my first fake today.

that sucks, but kudos to the guy for not taking advantage of someone else not in the know to help himself out.

Are those fake?
grin.gif

Needs to catch the guy that screwed him at the next show and beat him unconscious with the fake, just to see how durable it is. I hate a damn POS con artist.

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Are those fake?
grin.gif
</div></div>

look real to me.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">haven't seen any fake us optics</div></div>

yet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scout1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went to my local range today to test a few loads though my 5R. It was pretty nice since I was the only one there. As I was finishing up another guy from the area who I did not know showed up. We started talking and he asked me if the scope on my rifle was a Leupold Mark 4, it is. He then asked me to look at his "Mark4". He had already been informed by a friend that his was a counterfit. He seemed to know his stuff just did not know Mk4's and was not aware that fakes were floating around. Traded for it at a gun show. Needless to say his is pissed and stuck with it as he says he will not pass it on to someone else.

scout1 </div></div>

How does the counterfeit look compare to the real thing? Is it very obvious?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Are those fake?
grin.gif
</div></div>

look real to me.
wink.gif
</div></div>
I wish one of us could really find out?
grin.gif

I swear my epitaph will read: "known for mesmerizing sig line". Ya know guys...I'd like to be taken seriously for my intellect, not my amazing boobs. wait a minute, that sounded...screw it.
crazy.gif

back on topic, what were the noticeable signs of a fake that one who is not familiar with a mk4 might look for? Other than a cheap price tag...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">haven't seen any fake us optics</div></div>

yet </div></div>

LOL...how could you tell the difference?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: general_purpose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scout1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went to my local range today to test a few loads though my 5R. It was pretty nice since I was the only one there. As I was finishing up another guy from the area who I did not know showed up. We started talking and he asked me if the scope on my rifle was a Leupold Mark 4, it is. He then asked me to look at his "Mark4". He had already been informed by a friend that his was a counterfit. He seemed to know his stuff just did not know Mk4's and was not aware that fakes were floating around. Traded for it at a gun show. Needless to say his is pissed and stuck with it as he says he will not pass it on to someone else.

scout1 </div></div>

How does the counterfeit look compare to the real thing? Is it very obvious? </div></div>

At first glance it looked like the real thing. His was the 3.5-10x40 M3 knob version, just like my real version. But a few things stand out.

1. The fake did not have the Leupold medallion on the parallax adjustment knob, only an empty space where it should be.

2. On the underside of the turret assembly the fake had alot of large writing such as serial number and MARK 4 in large script. Instead of serial number and a very small sticker that says Leupold Mark 4 in very small script written in a small circle on the real scope.

3. The power adjustment ring on the fake turns counterclockwise from low X to high X. On the real thing it turns clockwise from low X to high X.

Those are the points that I remember. I did not see any of the packaging.

scout1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Are those fake?
grin.gif
</div></div>

look real to me.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Let me get a closer look, can i touch too. Just need to see if it is the right texture

at a gun show this past weekend i saw fake larue forearms, mark4 LR/T, eotech, aimpoint combo's w/ magnifier, and acog's............they looked real as all get out. but if you look close and know what to look for it's stood out like you wouldn't belive. it was really surprising to see fake larue rails

There's a lot of stuff out there like that.

Heck, they have a LaRue Tactical QD LT103 fake that looks as real as my real one.

Lar%20Tactical%20BUIS%20QD%20LT103%20a%20.jpg

Yep, that's fake.

Replica20ACOG20TA01NSN20Red20Dot20S.jpg

Fake...

They're easy to find. I don't mind buying some bargain items like the Vortex StrifeFire or even the UTG rails {not the freefloat ones, the other ones). But a direct clone (with trademark and everything) burns me up. Scary thing is that they're getting better at it.

We all like bargains, but I guess there is something to be said for purchasing gear from reputable, established dealers.....or the guys on the "good guy list" here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lrs50bmg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">something to be said for purchasing gear from reputable, established dealers.....or the guys on the "good guy list" here.</div></div>

+1000

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin Beggs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't mind buying some bargain items like the Vortex StrifeFire or even the UTG rails {not the freefloat ones, the other ones). But a direct clone (with trademark and everything) burns me up. Scary thing is that they're getting better at it. </div></div>

+1, especially a direct clone of a quality American made product...
mad.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GYSGTMUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Are those fake?
grin.gif
</div></div>

look real to me.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Let me get a closer look, can i touch too. Just need to see if it is the right texture </div></div>

OMG, they feel like bags of.....Sand!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GYSGTMUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Are those fake?
grin.gif
</div></div>

look real to me.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Let me get a closer look, can i touch too. Just need to see if it is the right texture </div></div>

OMG, they feel like bags of.....Sand! </div></div>

Bet you they don't taste like sand!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GYSGTMUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Turk said:
Are those fake?
grin.gif
</div></div>

look real to me.
wink.gif
</div></div>

OMG, they feel like bags of.....Sand! </div></div>

Bet you they don't taste like sand!
grin.gif

Lol, let us know how that goes...
laugh.gif