• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Saw this on Gunbroker...six digit donor

n8lusk

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2009
Baldwin County, AL
I don't know the seller, but I know if I were looking for a donor action any help would have been appreciated. six digit 234408 serial # 700 Varmit in 6MM with older weaver scope.

six digit on GB

I hope this helps someone wanting/needing an action.

Re: Saw this on Gunbroker...six digit donor

Man, that's too nice to take apart! I had two perfect doners and had to sell them as complete rifles because I couldn't bring myself to part them out!

I have one exactly like it that I found at a local shop a few months ago. I would not tear mine down for a build since it is an outstanding shooter as is, completely factory stock rifle with an El Paso Weaver T-10. I am now a big fan of the 6mm Rem. thanks to mine, amazing cartridge.

No sense in paying $100-$150 too much to have one less number in the serial number.

I'll agree with eodcam, it's way too nice of a rifle to take apart.

Little more difference then just a single digit, but very nice.

sorry for the nube question, but could someone please explain why the 6 digit serial on 700 actions is such a difference? i keep hearing about it but can never find a clear answer

Boydo, the issued USMC M40 sniper rifles in Vietnam for the most part were six digit serial numbers 168*** to 320 something, these rifles then were converted to M40A1, and I suppose some are in use today. Folks look for the correct serial number range to build as close a copy as possible.

lord have mercy, please don't turn that one into a donor. Very nice looking rifle.

Picked up a really nice 6 digit for my A1 build at a pawn shop and had to tear it apart when I got home. Don't look at it for what it is, look at it for what you want it to be.

I have a 1968 six digit donor sitting around in 6mm. It's not nearly as pretty as that one, kind of beat up. I think it's slightly out of range at 329xxx and it has a sako style extractor but if anyone is interested in it I'd rather just get funds and buy a 5R because it'd be awhile before I could fund a build.

Since this is in the range of the serial numbers, I could see doing a repro with it. It just goes against my grain to get that much cost into something I can get the same thing for half the cost.
As well, even though it fits the numbers, it still won't be 'the real thing'.
If it were the real thing, then I could see paying that much to get it and restore it.

Something I didn't see anybody note earlier was this rifle has a 1-9" twist. You can stabilize 105 vld type bullets in that twist.
Something to think about if you pursue this rifle more.